FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A mothers love?

A mothers love?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A seven year-old-boy will undergo emergency surgery to remove the remains of a brain tumour despite his mother’s objections, a judge ruled today.

Surgeons told the High Court that Neon Roberts would die without the operation followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

Mum Sally Roberts, 37, had initially consented but changed her mind because she feared it would leave her son mute.

She fled into hiding with Neon earlier this month to prevent him receiving radiotherapy.

They were eventually found and she later said she went into hiding because she had no choice and denied she was a “bonkers mother”.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A mother's warped sense of love maybe. There are many mute people who lead full and active lives and it wasn't for her to take the decision that meant death over a lifetime of silence for him. How will she feel if, after he's had the op, he isn't mute? I'd hate to be her right now.

Forum Mod

I think the whole situation is just really sad for all of them,I hope Neon recovers well and lives a long and healthy life

maybe shes concerned she wont be able to give him the support he might need - lets hope all turns out well

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I think the whole situation is just really sad for all of them,I hope Neon recovers well and lives a long and healthy life

"

Absolutely

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"I think the whole situation is just really sad for all of them,I hope Neon recovers well and lives a long and healthy life

"

By *toneblueMan  over a year ago

Southampton

She's probably concerned that the chemo might kill him, and having seen the effects of it at close hand myself I don't blame her for being afraid. It's a tough call to make.

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"she later said she went into hiding because she had no choice and denied she was a “bonkers mother”.

"

...and yet she called her son Neon??

Does she have more called Fluorescent and Halogen...??

The mind boggles....

"

Exactly this ^ and I hope i never find myself with a similar dilemma x

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

I certainly wouldnt call her a "bonkers mother" ...its every parents nightmare to face a life or death situation with their children ...possibly she panicked at the thot of her child having to go thru such an ordeal without the promise of success....no-one knows how they would cope themselves with that situation unless they'd been thru it .. My heart goes out to them both and hope the surgery is very successful and they go on to have a happy and fulfilling life

Forum Mod

"she later said she went into hiding because she had no choice and denied she was a “bonkers mother”.

The mind boggles.... "

Ive seen the effects that all the interventions can do to a child,not mine but a cousin,the brain surgery,the chemo,the radiotherapy,hair falling out,consant nausea,sores all over the body,ballooning to twice the size because of steroids,losing the ability to speak,walk and eat until they finally died because nothing worked,not all interventions are a help or make any difference in the long run,maybe despite calling him an unusual name she was of the thinking that she wanted him to live what life he had left relatively well and without putting him through all of what ive just described with no real proof that it would work anyway,I don't really blame her for running scared,its got to be the worst situation in the world to find yourself in

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

"

+1

The mind boggles.... "

That's relevant how?

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

I feel sorry for the mother. My cousin died during an op on his brain tumour he was told without it he would die, also if he had a bleed during the op he would die and that is what happend. The mother was probably vert frightend.

The mind boggles....

Ive seen the effects that all the interventions can do to a child,not mine but a cousin,the brain surgery,the chemo,the radiotherapy,hair falling out,consant nausea,sores all over the body,ballooning to twice the size because of steroids,losing the ability to speak,walk and eat until they finally died because nothing worked,not all interventions are a help or make any difference in the long run,maybe despite calling him an unusual name she was of the thinking that she wanted him to live what life he had left relatively well and without putting him through all of what ive just described with no real proof that it would work anyway,I don't really blame her for running scared,its got to be the worst situation in the world to find yourself in"

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Surgeons know better. I have lost count how many parents refused that my mum can't operate their new born babies. Then 2 days after they send flower and card to say thanks.

Hope all go well for this little boy as he is the victim of the fight between his dad and his mum

From what i have read about it she just wanted more time to get a second opinion on the treatment more than a case of she outright didnt want the treatment

I think its easy to say what you would do when your not in the possition she has been put in, we all deal with things differently, some of us would just go along with whats offered others will question it

To me it sounded like she wanted to hear the full facts before she agreed, maybe she was hoping someone would offer her a better alternative, who know

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I can understand why she did it. It's a hopeless situation with a bleak outcome either way. She has had to weight up which will cause her son the least suffering.

I've had first hand experience of what radio therapy can do when used on the head and believe me it is not fucking good. In my particular experience, with hindsight, it was worse than the illness itself.

That poor little boy is damned either way, you have to just hope for a miracle and that the radiotherapy doesn't do too much damage to his brain/eye sight/hearing/skin.

[Removed by poster at 19/12/12 15:09:39]

i think the term 'bonkers' is not correct in this case.

possibly a term used in the media to highlight the story.

the case around the boy will always be difficult as both poles (the parents) are pulling apart and the court would have to listen to the arguments for and against the withdraw or continued treatment.

these cases are possibly the hardest to make a clear decision on which will to a degree preserve life.

because that is the issue here, preserving or prolonging the life of a sick child. never easy which way to sum up and make a judgement on.

doctors and experts would be called by both sides to argue the case of the young boy and if he should live or die.

after looking at the judgement and arguements on both sides i feel the court made the correct decision.

not because the mother ran off with the boy, it would be noted by the court that the mother had her son's best interests at heart but also placed him in danger as he may have needed medical care. her state of mind would have been disrupted out of concern for her child.

again understandable.

but it is also right that someone regardless of age has the right to live.

it is the quality of that life which needs to be balanced up.

only after treatment will we know if this was the correct thing to do.

that is something out of the courts hands but preserving life is important and the attempt to do so is correct.

of course this case now brings up the issue of life and care for those with ilnesses such as locked in syndrome and the right to die.

but courts will continue to support life over death until new legislation is put in place and they would have to go to the high court as every case is different.

"I can understand why she did it. It's a hopeless situation with a bleak outcome either way. She has had to weight up which will cause her son the least suffering.

I've had first hand experience of what radio therapy can do when used on the head and believe me it is not fucking good. In my particular experience, with hindsight, it was worse than the illness itself.

That poor little boy is damned either way, you have to just hope for a miracle and that the radiotherapy doesn't do too much damage to his brain/eye sight/hearing/skin."

Couldn't agree more - there are dangers either way and not sure it's our place to judge - let's just hope it all works out

By *coobyroo218Couple  over a year ago

Guernsey

The mother could be just thinking long term for her son, Radio therapy is not nice and neither is chemo, I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

When I was 22 I got leukemia over a 4 month period I had 4 lots of chemo, each getting stronger, My blood levels went very low the climbed again just in time for my next lot of chemo I was reasonably ok with it till the last one and fook me I was ill, and I mean ill.

I cam through ok and the doctor said you now have a choice, you are in remission so you can have a bone marrow transplant or not its your choice, go away and think about it for a month then come back and see us.

A month went by and I decided i did not want the bone marrow transplant because if the cancer came back there was very little they could do second time round, but if I kept the bone marrow my chances of survival was better.

Well I did not get a choice i was told I was having it as I had done so well with my chemo.

22 years on I wished I never had it and fought it alot more.

I went into hospital on the Saturday evening and on the Sunday I was given a massive bag of bright orange liquid, it was chemo, this killed my bloods.

I then went on to have 6 fifteen minute sessions of radio therapy over the next 3 days this was head to toe, it was 4 times more than the Hiroshima nucular bomb pumped out but for only 15 mins at a time.

I then got another drip shoved into me with a bag of brown liquid, this was the bone marrow from my brother, the that was it.

This is where it started, I was confined to solitary confinement for 8 weeks, only parents aloud to visit, I was burned from my lips down into my stomach so could not eat for 3 weeks so on a feed bag, was on a diamorphene drip and had the most horrendous hallucinations so got myself took off it. I went from 12 stone when I went in to just under 7 in 6 weeks, had host verses graft disease in the bowel (my body trying to kick the bone morrow out as it was not mine.)

Now 22 years on I have arthritis in both shoulders and elbows, hardening of the arteries, lungs have hardened, have had a cataract removed from one of my eyes already, and god only knows what else it has done that has not raised its ugly head yet. all of theses symptoms are what I got told I would be very prone to in the future AFTER I had the bone marrow transplant.

Oh and I am sterile from the cancer so no kids for me.

so whilst this mother might have wanted her son to not suffer maybe just maybe she wanted her son to all the facts before she made probably one of the hardest decisions she will ever have to take.

Just my 2 cents

» Add a new message to this topic