FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > That awkward moment...

That awkward moment...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *appyprivate OP   Man  over a year ago

Blackburn

So... I decided in my infinite wisdom the other night to pay the local dogging spot a visit (while it was freezing!). It didn't look too bad out there and I was bored!

So, I pull into the bottom path first and test the brakes a bit - bit frosty but nothing major.

Down I go into the car park, wait for a bit and eventually thought to try the one up the road. No drama there.

Now i pull into this road and this one is a sharp downwards hill above the first one overlooking the res... So when I start testing the brakes a bit, everything is ok. The second I get some downward momentum, I start to slide...!

I managed to survive the stupidly icy corner and slid onto the car park to a complete halt...ontop of at least an inch of ice from the water seeping out down the hills.

So - extremely fucking gently - I tried to slowly drive out - only to find myself stuck in the same spot.

For 30 mins.

Alone.

With no phone.

I managed to budge the car to the side where there was some gravel and managed to spend 20 mins crawling up the hill and back out!

Has anyone else had a "oh fuck I've got myself stuck here" moment on a dogging spot late at night?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

did u have a wank tho?

By *uttyMan  over a year ago

Local to you maybe

"did u have a wank tho?"

Lmao

Somehow I dont think a frozen danger wank crossed his mind paddy

Oh the joys of secret meetings

Was up Cannock Chase a few years ago and had one chav drift sideways at me in front and another one drive behind me. I just drove up the grass...that was a OMG moment

Blackburn

"did u have a wank tho?"

Missed out on a danger wank!!!

I did once managed to get my car stuck on a country path in the middle of nowhere one night - had to drive back from Lancaster covered in mud! I was kind of responsible for bouncing in, and was well rewarded after again for getting it free!

Blackburn

"Was up Cannock Chase a few years ago and had one chav drift sideways at me in front and another one drive behind me. I just drove up the grass...that was a OMG moment "

Shit - hope you were ok?!?

Yeah I was thanks, called the local plod who did not come out

NEVER use your brakes while going downhill on a slippery surface such as ice or snow. Put your car in 1st and use the engine to 'brake' the car. By touching the brakes on ice etc you will lock the front wheels and loose control, allowing the gearbox to slow the car you will maintain control.

Blackburn

"NEVER use your brakes while going downhill on a slippery surface such as ice or snow. Put your car in 1st and use the engine to 'brake' the car. By touching the brakes on ice etc you will lock the front wheels and loose control, allowing the gearbox to slow the car you will maintain control."

Will give that a try next time - was in 1st in the first place but as I took it, I lost control

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Reminds me of the joke about a guy who went down a track in the New Forset with his "bit on the side" for a bit of fun and got his car stuck in a ditch. He walked back to the road and managed to flag down a Land Rover being driven by a local guy who was out doing a bit of poaching! The guy who was stuck asked the poacher to pull him out and the poacher said he would but would have to charge him £20. Reluctantly it was agreed and the guy went on to explain how lucky he was to have managed to flag the poacher down as the lady in the car wasn`t his wife and how he had to get her home before her husband found out. The poacher replied "well as I said, you give me the £50 and I`ll have you out in a jiffy!"

Blackburn

Sad thing was it was a wasted effort altogether - got back home and found that she'd sent a message to say she was cancelling because of x y z!

"NEVER use your brakes while going downhill on a slippery surface such as ice or snow. Put your car in 1st and use the engine to 'brake' the car. By touching the brakes on ice etc you will lock the front wheels and loose control, allowing the gearbox to slow the car you will maintain control.

Will give that a try next time - was in 1st in the first place but as I took it, I lost control"

Take your feet off the pedals completely. Don't be.tempted to touch the clutch or brake pedal. It's not very intuitive and a little scary, but it is the safest way.

By *atalie..Woman  over a year ago

Bolton

"So... I decided in my infinite wisdom the other night to pay the local dogging spot a visit (while it was freezing!). It didn't look too bad out there and I was bored!

So, I pull into the bottom path first and test the brakes a bit - bit frosty but nothing major.

Down I go into the car park, wait for a bit and eventually thought to try the one up the road. No drama there.

Now i pull into this road and this one is a sharp downwards hill above the first one overlooking the res... So when I start testing the brakes a bit, everything is ok. The second I get some downward momentum, I start to slide...!

I managed to survive the stupidly icy corner and slid onto the car park to a complete halt...ontop of at least an inch of ice from the water seeping out down the hills.

So - extremely fucking gently - I tried to slowly drive out - only to find myself stuck in the same spot.

For 30 mins.

Alone.

With no phone.

I managed to budge the car to the side where there was some gravel and managed to spend 20 mins crawling up the hill and back out!

Has anyone else had a "oh fuck I've got myself stuck here" moment on a dogging spot late at night?

"

You are lucky ya never hit the big boulder there or the wooden post..i know that car park well, and its the same on the bottom carpark when trying to come up the hill, have got stuck there a few times in the muddy gullies so watch yaself

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

"NEVER use your brakes while going downhill on a slippery surface such as ice or snow. Put your car in 1st and use the engine to 'brake' the car. By touching the brakes on ice etc you will lock the front wheels and loose control, allowing the gearbox to slow the car you will maintain control.

Will give that a try next time - was in 1st in the first place but as I took it, I lost control

Take your feet off the pedals completely. Don't be.tempted to touch the clutch or brake pedal. It's not very intuitive and a little scary, but it is the safest way."

thanks for info never did know what to do if that happened ta

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

We got a flat battery whilst out dogging once, must have left the interior lights on for too long ! No one had any jump leads, so the very nice guys that had been watching us a few minutes earlier had to jump start the car

Take your feet off the pedals completely. Don't be.tempted to touch the clutch or brake pedal. It's not very intuitive and a little scary, but it is the safest way.thanks for info never did know what to do if that happened ta "

You're welcome, just make.sure you're in 1st gear NOT neutral or any higher gear. The engine/gearbox braking will stop you from going too fast and also stop the front wheels locking up, enabling you to steer.

"We got a flat battery whilst out dogging once, must have left the interior lights on for too long ! No one had any jump leads, so the very nice guys that had been watching us a few minutes earlier had to jump start the car "

I drive an Alfa so I always have jump leads...lol

Take your feet off the pedals completely. Don't be.tempted to touch the clutch or brake pedal. It's not very intuitive and a little scary, but it is the safest way."

Being a smartarse... how do you suggest getting the car into 1st in the first place without touching the clutch?

Since we're talking about car control on snow and ice, I'll also point out that if you're having trouble pulling away because of wheel spin and lack of traction, try using 2nd gear, gently, instead of 1st.

By *anymedeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Racking my brains as to where you were pm me and let me know if its any good ?

Take your feet off the pedals completely. Don't be.tempted to touch the clutch or brake pedal. It's not very intuitive and a little scary, but it is the safest way.

Being a smartarse... how do you suggest getting the car into 1st in the first place without touching the clutch?

Since we're talking about car control on snow and ice, I'll also point out that if you're having trouble pulling away because of wheel spin and lack of traction, try using 2nd gear, gently, instead of 1st."

Ok smartarse....once the car is in 1st and moving down the hill don't touch the clutch....just to be clear....;-)

You are also correct about moving off in 2nd, and turning the traction control OFF in a front wheel drive car is also beneficial on snow.

Blackburn

[Removed by poster at 14/12/12 14:21:57]

Blackburn

Thanks for that - lesson learned the hard way! I usually have no problems playing/driving in snow - that ice just snuck up on me. Someone left it lying around. Honest Guv.

On a separate note, I had to call the RAC out this morning to tend to a punctured tyre that decides to make itself known before I hit the motorway... lost man points with the RAC man and female co-driver/trainer/brewer-upper who couldn't understand why "a strapping young laaad like 'ou caaant get dat 'heel orf".

Think I'm switching to a bike...

» Add a new message to this topic