FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Advice on sat navs needed

Advice on sat navs needed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

My 6 year old sat nav has packed up and i need to get a new one. My old one was a tom tom one but often had problems picking up a satellite signal until i had been driving for a while. Im looking for one that is under £200, is reliable and simple to use. Anyone know what garmin sat navs are like?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you got a I phone just use maps never been lost using mine

By * n zCouple  over a year ago

leamington spa

I have a TomTom live......£150, and it tells you if there are hold ups on route, then re directs you if a faster route is available !!!! I've had it a year, bloody love it !!!

By *am123Man  over a year ago

essex chelmsford

garmin are ok bt ther the same as a tom tom realy dont think u can beat a tom tom , iknow wht u mean abt signal bt i think thats the satelites nt the machine my mate just got a tom tom large screen thats very good

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"My 6 year old sat nav has packed up and i need to get a new one. My old one was a tom tom one but often had problems picking up a satellite signal until i had been driving for a while. Im looking for one that is under £200, is reliable and simple to use. Anyone know what garmin sat navs are like?"

Had a Garmin for years - very reliable and they do a Lifetime Update deal for a fixed one-off fee. Full ma updates every 3 months!

Only stopped using mine as my current car has Satnav built in, but it's not a patch on my good old Garmin!

Brackley, Northants

"If you got a I phone just use maps never been lost using mine"

Don't update to iOS6 then! Lol!

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

£200??? That is a lot of money for satnav. With that money you can buy a shagnav....

By *uesandvenusCouple  over a year ago

Harlow

i use garmins for work and am a delivery driver they are quite good but sometime get where the door number is wrong but get you in the right area 98% of the time

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman  over a year ago

Glenrothes

"My 6 year old sat nav has packed up and i need to get a new one. My old one was a tom tom one but often had problems picking up a satellite signal until i had been driving for a while. Im looking for one that is under £200, is reliable and simple to use. Anyone know what garmin sat navs are like?"

I got one a few months ago on recommendation from a friend on here and it was £89 from Amazon. Never let me down so far.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"If you got a I phone just use maps never been lost using mine

"

I use the satnav app on my HTC. Works perfectly and even gives a photo of the place when you get there so you can check you are in the right place.

Go garmin we love our one very clear and has yet to get us lost lol

"

ah take it that's not good then

I have a navman ............. it works for me

Tom Tom are as good as any I have the truck version saves me a lot of time bit of a price at £350

I have a Navman Mio. Never let me down

Brackley, Northants

ah take it that's not good then"

Lol! Try googling Apple Maps Accuracy!!

ah take it that's not good then"

I have iOS6, no issues with maps so far for me, get me to where I need to go

ah take it that's not good then

Lol! Try googling Apple Maps Accuracy!! "

thanks I'll have a look

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I tried Garmin and Tomtom. Tomtom live is the best sat nav in my experience and I use mine almost on a daily basis.

By *ofakindCouple  over a year ago

Running with Monkeys

I use waze, free from the App Store and android market depending on your phone, tells you where cameras are, roadworks, heavy traffic etc etc never had an issue with it

Its years down the line and they all have got better than what you have had in that time. Set your budget and get what you fancy at the time but if you are a tomtom man stick to it if it makes you happy.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I use waze, free from the App Store and android market depending on your phone, tells you where cameras are, roadworks, heavy traffic etc etc never had an issue with it"
Waze is also really good, was one of the first free apps using people's updates.

It's a tom tom for me. Hoping to up grade to tom tom live next year. When I have some free pennies.

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

Wouldnt be without my tomtom1xl best bit of kit ive used and I use mine daily

I have the Top Gear Tom Tom. Not let me down yet and I used it in the USA earlier this year.

There was an issue with connecting to satellites on some models, but there has since been an update that fixed it.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

love my tom tom live Europe-got it as a recon unit from tom tom for 145 with a years updates..To be honest it was new when it came just in a white box ,you can patch your phone through it and use it as a hands free too via btooth.

nice satnav and easy to use ,Waze on android is nice too and free

I have both TomTom and Garmin waterproofed bike models. the TomTom has an issue on the rider version in that it has a very bad charger connection so eventually got replaced with the Garmin.

So I can speak from experience of both, both work as navigation devices in pretty much the same way, even to the extent of having one error I found actually occurring on both devices!

The Garmin does take a bit more effort in telling it where you want to go. (minimal but more!)

The real difference is in the updating of them, Garmin scores highly for the lifetime subscription map updates, but can take ages to download and install them as it has a very unfriendly computer interface. TomTom charge too much for Map updates, but deliver them painlessly so if you are not good with the PC and finding obscure websites go with TomTom, lifetime map updates are pointless if you can't install them!

New Tom Toms are much better at getting a signal.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

as a cyclist i find reading signs to be a fool proof method

By *ngelsdevilWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

Iv got a Garmin XL, it was only about £130 and it's great! Not let me down in 2 years! It's got Bluetooth so you can connect your phone to it if you haven't got hands free in your car too. Tom Tom are the leading brand but I was told at halfords that there murder when they break because Tom Tom only actually supply the case and several different manufacturers make the parts so it takes longer to get them fixed as Tom Tom need to figure where to send it first whereas Garmin make the whole unit so there a lot quicker....that plus the great value sold it to me! Signal is great on them too! Hope this helps! x

I've bought a garmin earlier this year after my Tomtom gave up they both have their good points however the tomtom with live update is so good if you do alot of driving ( you do pay the premium for it though) wish I'd just bought another tomtom

road atlas + wife = earplugs simples

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

Having used a few now I'd always go for the Tom Tom.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"road atlas + wife = earplugs simples "

WH Smith do a great A-Z of if you prefer, a bigger AA Road atlas ..

Sorry I'm only pissing with you - I've had a Tom Tom for a good few years now and it's always been ok, but a bit like you have said, it takes a wee while to find a sat signal - sometimes up to 5 minutes.

I now have a Galaxy S 3 mobile phone, and for the amount of times that I need it, the GPS/SatNav feature of the phone works good for me, although its pseudo American accent drives me around the fucking twist

I use Garmin for driving and flying.they have been excellent.Get one marked LTM which means life time map updates also get one with full European cover.cost around £150.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

Thanks for the Waze tip

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

Is the trouble picking a signal more a problem with older tom tom's?. Tempted to get another tom tom, but the delay in getting a signal is a worry.

"Is the trouble picking a signal more a problem with older tom tom's?. Tempted to get another tom tom, but the delay in getting a signal is a worry."

It only affected a few models and there is now a patch download to fix it.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it sounds as if everyone went tom tom or garmin... I must be radical... I went co-pilot..

it is really really good... and i have never had an issue with it.....

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

i have had a tom tom 920 for years never failed us once all over europe too had a navman before that but prefer the tom tom now have a saab with built in sat nav but also have waze on my iphone but by far the best free sat nav app for iphone is navfree uk & roi although it only goes to the road not house numbers on the free version.

love the sat nav in the saab though has live routing updates with re routing for traffic delays automatically

By *ady4ladyWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

I think tom-tom is def the best but....... I had one and it did the same thing, took ages to find the satelites. I spoke to someone who told me that I needed to update it regularly thru my computer, which i did and it worked fine ( not sure how true it is but he said satelites drift a little ???)

» Add a new message to this topic