FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Say what now?!?!?!

Say what now?!?!?!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ummy mummy OP   Woman  over a year ago

southampton-ish

Was just submitting my gas and electric meter readings onto my supplier's website and it instantly tells you how much you owe since last bill...I pay quarterly...now last quarter I paid something around £90 so was expecting it to obviously be more as been using the heat now...yeah...was not expectiung the supposed amount that I owe them...nearly spit my coffee across the monitor when it came up saying "current amount owing: £4,511.31" WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Me thinks there is something not quite right here...lol by my calculations it should be something around £155-160 at most...funnily enough I am £60 in credit for gas bill...I think will be straight on phone to them on my return from the school run in the morning

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

omfg id have had a heart attack i think!

Probably a mistake being made during the data entry process, should be easy to resolve. Good luck.

I once got a gas bill for over £12,000 the main problem was that I lived in an area that wasn't supplied by gas! It was either coal or oil.

Needless to say we all had a good laugh in the end and I have the bill framed on my studio wall.

southampton-ish

"omfg id have had a heart attack i think! "

I just about did...lol...I went back and thought maybe I wrote it down wrong so PULLLLED the sofa out again to get under the stairs and checked..nope wrote it right...then went to last bill to check what the last reading was and did the calculations using the unit costs...as Pearl says should just come up as some sort of data entry error...

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

Hmmmmm, £90 for a quarter??? We live in a terraced 3 bed house with energy saving lightbulbs, easy on the gas (as we're watching the pennies) and we pay £70 a month (this overpays in the summer so we can use the gas in the winter without worrying)

Are you sure you haven't just not been paying enough and now they've billed you what you owe? I fail to see how anyone can only owe £30 for gas AND electric per month these days!

southampton-ish

"Hmmmmm, £90 for a quarter??? We live in a terraced 3 bed house with energy saving lightbulbs, easy on the gas (as we're watching the pennies) and we pay £70 a month (this overpays in the summer so we can use the gas in the winter without worrying)

Are you sure you haven't just not been paying enough and now they've billed you what you owe? I fail to see how anyone can only owe £30 for gas AND electric per month these days!"

not for gas and electric, just the electric

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I am in a 2 bed flat and its a new build I pay £79 a month gas and £40 electric...

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I am in a 2 bed flat and its a new build I pay £79 a month gas and £40 electric..."

off the naughty step then

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

when we moved out of our last house ten years ago Mr N read the water meter and phoned it to the company. We received a bill for something over £14,000 and when we rang up to say we must have read it incorrectly the woman at the other end said "don't pay it" lol

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I am in a 2 bed flat and its a new build I pay £79 a month gas and £40 electric...

off the naughty step then "

southampton-ish

"Hmmmmm, £90 for a quarter??? We live in a terraced 3 bed house with energy saving lightbulbs, easy on the gas (as we're watching the pennies) and we pay £70 a month (this overpays in the summer so we can use the gas in the winter without worrying)

Are you sure you haven't just not been paying enough and now they've billed you what you owe? I fail to see how anyone can only owe £30 for gas AND electric per month these days!

not for gas and electric, just the electric"

just re read my opening post and I had written electric bill but in editing before posting I must have deleted part of the sentence...my apologies

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

It doesn't matter what you pay per month, it's what you use. Do you give regular meter readings (same day every month?)

Your DD could be £5 a month but if you're using £500 per month it's not going to add up.

Paying 112 GBP and 20 GBP for electricity and gas respectively for a 2-bed semi-detached every month.

I use gas for cooking and hot water only.

Got a rebate of just over 400 GBP, so I am happy.

I was asked if I would like to reduce my monthly bill payments and I said no, as I'd like a nice little pot at the end of every 6 months in the form of a rebate.

Did you switch your High and Low electricity numbers round by accident?

We Had A Direct-Debit come out of our bank account - for an electric company in "Ireland".. we tried for about half an hour to explain to the bank we Live in Scotland.. and we dont use or get our energy from ireland..

southampton-ish

"It doesn't matter what you pay per month, it's what you use. Do you give regular meter readings (same day every month?)

Your DD could be £5 a month but if you're using £500 per month it's not going to add up. "

I do not have a direct debit currently myself...I submit my readings and then pay what I am billed...

southampton-ish

"Did you switch your High and Low electricity numbers round by accident?

"

no...my meter just has a 5 digit number to give I deducted the last reading and by multiplying the unit price by the amount of units plus the base price per day it came to around £160

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

I hope you not paying by direct debit.if you do, first thing before you jump on your phone tomorrow is to cancel the standing order or you will have to deal with your bank...

southampton-ish

"I hope you not paying by direct debit.if you do, first thing before you jump on your phone tomorrow is to cancel the standing order or you will have to deal with your bank... "

no, do not have a standing order or anything set up...pay it when I get the bill

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

In the winter my gas is roughly £120 a month and all year round my electric is about £60 a month. In the summer my gas is nothing really

Are you sure you haven't just not been paying enough and now they've billed you what you owe? I fail to see how anyone can only owe £30 for gas AND electric per month these days!"

I live in a 3 bedroom house, rarely have the central heating on just the gas fire, have a gas cooker, do most of my washing at night as its cheaper electricity so I have been told, and I pay around £80 pm for my gas and electricity

I live in a 3 bedroom house, rarely have the central heating on just the gas fire, have a gas cooker, do most of my washing at night as its cheaper electricity so I have been told, and I pay around £80 pm for my gas and electricity "

sounds cold

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

I pay £90 per quarter for electricity and about the same for gas during winter. Only have a 2 bed flat though.

I live in a 3 bedroom house, rarely have the central heating on just the gas fire, have a gas cooker, do most of my washing at night as its cheaper electricity so I have been told, and I pay around £80 pm for my gas and electricity sounds cold "

No point in wasting gas on heating the whole house as my son and I both work full time, with evenings either both of us are out or just one, still pointless heating the whole house when we spend most of our time in the lounge. Yes the house might be cold but I'm not wasting money

By *MOOTH AND ROUGHCouple  over a year ago

tamworth

We had a bill for elec last year stating we owe 600 I said your having a laugh we submitted our reading and the readings was miles out apparently you have to give elec readings yourself to supplier but they check themselves every two years gas check every 3 months. so we had a payg meter fitted they took of a fixed amount each week

The first two months our bill was £67 and then last month it jumped to £259! We've now changed our tariff and on a monthly payment thing so pay £71 every month, all year round. No gas as it's just hooked up to the fire and we never use it x

Last year we were paying £50 a week on gas and 60 a month on electric!

"Was just submitting my gas and electric meter readings onto my supplier's website and it instantly tells you how much you owe since last bill...I pay quarterly...now last quarter I paid something around £90 so was expecting it to obviously be more as been using the heat now...yeah...was not expectiung the supposed amount that I owe them...nearly spit my coffee across the monitor when it came up saying "current amount owing: £4,511.31" WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Me thinks there is something not quite right here...lol by my calculations it should be something around £155-160 at most...funnily enough I am £60 in credit for gas bill...I think will be straight on phone to them on my return from the school run in the morning"

I could guess who is your supplier lol one of 2 companies

The energy companies are one of my bug bears tbh. Siren often tells me we're over £400 in credit yet we get letters saying our direct debit will have to go up so that there is enough funds in our account to cover our bill! Wtf!!

When I try to talk to them they conveniently inform me that as my name isn't on the account (all the bills are in Siren's name) they cannot discuss it with me. The last time I tried to talk to them I got the same 'ha ha we're not talking to you' treatment so I said, "Who do you think supplies the funds to pay these bills?"

The snooty woman on the phone said, "Excuse me?"

So I replied, "I pay the bills indirectly via my wife and if you want the bills to continue to be paid you'd best get rid of your shitty attitude and start talking to me."

They then agreed to leave our direct debit alone until the surplus cash had been used up (they wouldn't entertain a refund, wankers). GRRRRRR

I live in a 3 bedroom house, rarely have the central heating on just the gas fire, have a gas cooker, do most of my washing at night as its cheaper electricity so I have been told, and I pay around £80 pm for my gas and electricity "

We live in a 6 bedroom detached house and only pay £80 a month for gas and electric

"The first two months our bill was £67 and then last month it jumped to £259! We've now changed our tariff and on a monthly payment thing so pay £71 every month, all year round. No gas as it's just hooked up to the fire and we never use it x"

You still have a standing charge to pay for gas regardless of whether you use any gas or not. You should get it disconnected if you don't use gas.

"We live in a 6 bedroom detached house and only pay £80 a month for gas and electric

"

Who are you with and on which tarrif??

"We live in a 6 bedroom detached house and only pay £80 a month for gas and electric

Who are you with and on which tarrif?? "

BG.. Well was, now SP.

Just read your post and not the same issue here but basically BG peed me off when we moved in here January.

Ended up paying £500 for a month because they messed up the meter readings from the deceased person prior.

Anyway I said in Feb I am paying this amount per month now £80 for both.

Never owed over.

Only left BG because they messed up the online account and we couldn't submit electricity online.

That annoyed me so we have switched and then we told SP, we are only paying £80 per month

southampton-ish

Called my supplier to get to the bottom of my £4,500.00 electric bill and I think we cracked it...Basically when I did the last reading,for some reason only 4 of the 5 numbers registered...so lets say my last reading only registered as 3677 instead of 36777 so when I inputted the current 5 digit reading instead of a usage of about 1000 units it made it look like I used 33000 units...lol...moral of the story is always call in the meter readings...lol

"Called my supplier to get to the bottom of my £4,500.00 electric bill and I think we cracked it...Basically when I did the last reading,for some reason only 4 of the 5 numbers registered...so lets say my last reading only registered as 3677 instead of 36777 so when I inputted the current 5 digit reading instead of a usage of about 1000 units it made it look like I used 33000 units...lol...moral of the story is always call in the meter readings...lol "

Glad that you sorted it out.

"I am in a 2 bed flat and its a new build I pay £79 a month gas and £40 electric..."

Kin 'ell... that's astronomical - I pay £70 a month for gas and electric and there's 2 of us here

southampton-ish

"Called my supplier to get to the bottom of my £4,500.00 electric bill and I think we cracked it...Basically when I did the last reading,for some reason only 4 of the 5 numbers registered...so lets say my last reading only registered as 3677 instead of 36777 so when I inputted the current 5 digit reading instead of a usage of about 1000 units it made it look like I used 33000 units...lol...moral of the story is always call in the meter readings...lol

Glad that you sorted it out. "

me too...lol...should have heard the reaction from the woman I spoke to...lol

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Everywhere

"Last year we were paying £50 a week on gas and 60 a month on electric!"

I bet you were running your heating for most of the time, weren't you?

By *ondering_yorkshiremanMan  over a year ago

Somewhere near NE Derbyshire/S Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire border

Hey all, I live in a 3 bed semi, we got pre pay in to manage our usage and cut the big bills, we put £10 on gas and elec every week summer and winter and wat we build up covers us during the cold times. Gas heating on all time in winter and 3 kids, we spend less per year than a 2 bed semi with no central heating

With *-on so get my points for a supermarket too

"Called my supplier to get to the bottom of my £4,500.00 electric bill and I think we cracked it...Basically when I did the last reading,for some reason only 4 of the 5 numbers registered...so lets say my last reading only registered as 3677 instead of 36777 so when I inputted the current 5 digit reading instead of a usage of about 1000 units it made it look like I used 33000 units...lol...moral of the story is always call in the meter readings...lol "

Your lucky it took me 6mths to sort out a wrong meter reading with the electric, it was there fault and I got everything back an a bit extra for the trouble they caused me , but it was all the stress they put you through ,I aged about 10yrs

Glad your sorted

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Everywhere

I didn't pay a penny in gas or electric bills for 2 years, where I used to live!

I live in a 4 bedroom council house with 3 bunk beds and a drive and massive garden and a big tree and 2 chimneys and a pvc front door and we pay £67.53 a month.

I have card meters so i don't have to find the money ever quarter, they usually end up owing me ... Im using around £35 gas, £25 eclectic every week

"The first two months our bill was £67 and then last month it jumped to £259! We've now changed our tariff and on a monthly payment thing so pay £71 every month, all year round. No gas as it's just hooked up to the fire and we never use it x

You still have a standing charge to pay for gas regardless of whether you use any gas or not. You should get it disconnected if you don't use gas."

I checked with bg about that, the tariffs we are on there is no standing charge for the gas, plus add we are renting we aren't allowed to disconnect it.

» Add a new message to this topic