FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hidden Hungry

Hidden Hungry

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Anyone else watching this?

I want to adopt Charlotte.

I have done some work with foodbanks recently and they are all reporting an increased demand.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

I am and its just so very sad

Some of the stories are heartbreaking

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I refer a huge amount of families to food banks.. to some its the only way they can get through a week for food.. A huge percentage are families where they are working and have limited help with benefits such as tax credits etc..

Survival, but only just.

Forum Mod

Its completely shocking me,just outrageous,its like we are a hidden third world country

Forum Mod

Oh and now im feeling disgusted at Darren

"Oh and now im feeling disgusted at Darren "

So am I! When others are being turned away he is getting there before everyone else and taking his pick.

By *rokengirlWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere

I work dealing with people who claim they have no money everyday... When asked to breakdown how they have spent there last benefit its amazing how many think a sky bill or mobile contract is more important than buying food.

Take for example that couple on the foodbank... No money to pay mortgage or buy food yet they had 4 expensive dogs... Huge tv and games station in the corner! Yes there are some people who are genuinely in a crisis position but so many others who aren't and feel they are entitled to what the system can give them. Sorry if I had no money the first things to go would be sky and phone if needs be sell tv buy a smaller one etc.....we have made the system too easy the sooner it changes nextvyearvthe better hopefully then the people who need and deserve the help will get it not cheats like Darren from that programme!

"I work dealing with people who claim they have no money everyday... When asked to breakdown how they have spent there last benefit its amazing how many think a sky bill or mobile contract is more important than buying food.

Take for example that couple on the foodbank... No money to pay mortgage or buy food yet they had 4 expensive dogs... Huge tv and games station in the corner! Yes there are some people who are genuinely in a crisis position but so many others who aren't and feel they are entitled to what the system can give them. Sorry if I had no money the first things to go would be sky and phone if needs be sell tv buy a smaller one etc.....we have made the system too easy the sooner it changes nextvyearvthe better hopefully then the people who need and deserve the help will get it not cheats like Darren from that programme! "

I would argue that a phone is a necessity now. Even DWP will give you an allowance for a phone to enable you to get work.

I agree that Sky etc. are not luxuries that should be maintained but if you bought things when times were good and then find yourself on hard times the value of selling your large tv to buy a smaller one doesn't make sense.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I work dealing with people who claim they have no money everyday... When asked to breakdown how they have spent there last benefit its amazing how many think a sky bill or mobile contract is more important than buying food.

Take for example that couple on the foodbank... No money to pay mortgage or buy food yet they had 4 expensive dogs... Huge tv and games station in the corner! Yes there are some people who are genuinely in a crisis position but so many others who aren't and feel they are entitled to what the system can give them. Sorry if I had no money the first things to go would be sky and phone if needs be sell tv buy a smaller one etc.....we have made the system too easy the sooner it changes nextvyearvthe better hopefully then the people who need and deserve the help will get it not cheats like Darren from that programme! "

So very true and know where you are coming from... I deal with rent arrears on a daily basis and I see their bank statements and its shocking.. I had one that spend £250 in new look and stated she could no afford her rent arrears..

Somewhere

[Removed by poster at 30/10/12 23:53:19]

Somewhere

Could argue that when I was looking for work we had no mobiles or a pay as you go one not a fancy all singing all dancing contract like some people on benefits do

My point tho wasn't aimed at people who have been working and are new into the system but more long term claimants who take out mobile contacts or a fortune in hire purchase at bright house etc knowing they have limited income and then prioritise paying those luxuries over food etc.

"Could argue that when I was looking for work we had no mobiles or a pay as you go one not a fancy all singing all dancing contract like some people on benefits do

My point tho wasn't aimed at people who have been working and are new into the system but more long term claimants who take out mobile contacts or a fortune in hire purchase at bright house etc knowing they have limited income and then prioritise paying those luxuries over food etc. "

I agree that some of those need showing the error of their ways. Some need help to understand how money works.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

What channel was this on?

Somewhere

[Removed by poster at 31/10/12 00:04:53]

Somewhere

"What channel was this on?"

BBC1 earlier tonight

"What channel was this on?"

BBC1. It finished half an hour ago.

I hadn't heard of the Trussel Trust before so I am going to have to check them out.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Thanks il check it out on iplayer.

By *upitersmileCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Have to agree with you here. As I said on a different thread earlier today I was on benefits as a single mum for 2 years, but I always had money left over each week. It's about managing it well and paying the bills/food first. What's left over goes on luxuries, or in my case I saved. I am worse with money now I have it than what I was when I didn't lol

But having said this I think its alittle different if you have a mortgage and are made redundant or have to give up work. I think many would be in a much more dire predicament.

Somewhere

"Have to agree with you here. As I said on a different thread earlier today I was on benefits as a single mum for 2 years, but I always had money left over each week. It's about managing it well and paying the bills/food first. What's left over goes on luxuries, or in my case I saved. I am worse with money now I have it than what I was when I didn't lol

But having said this I think its alittle different if you have a mortgage and are made redundant or have to give up work. I think many would be in a much more dire predicament. "

Homeowners sadly don't get any help for the first 6 months I believe... How they are expected to pay mortgage in that time amazes me and do pity anyone in that position.

Everything will change with the removal of the social fund and the new universal credit being introduced... Both are going to mean big changes.., people are going to have to learn to budget and prioritise better or a lot will be making themselves homeless too

"Have to agree with you here. As I said on a different thread earlier today I was on benefits as a single mum for 2 years, but I always had money left over each week. It's about managing it well and paying the bills/food first. What's left over goes on luxuries, or in my case I saved. I am worse with money now I have it than what I was when I didn't lol

But having said this I think its alittle different if you have a mortgage and are made redundant or have to give up work. I think many would be in a much more dire predicament.

Homeowners sadly don't get any help for the first 6 months I believe... How they are expected to pay mortgage in that time amazes me and do pity anyone in that position.

Everything will change with the removal of the social fund and the new universal credit being introduced... Both are going to mean big changes.., people are going to have to learn to budget and prioritise better or a lot will be making themselves homeless too "

Charities have been trying to prepare for the removal of the Social Fund for the last two years. Demand has increased to those that give out emergency payments and with investments down it's going to be a double whammy for some as they can't get anything from the Social fund or these charities of last resort.

Manchester

Everything will change with the removal of the social fund and the new universal credit being introduced... Both are going to mean big changes.., people are going to have to learn to budget and prioritise better or a lot will be making themselves homeless too "

Yes that's what I'm led to believe. I lived though my parents house being repossessed in the last recession for this reason.

I thank my lucky stars that the worse to come to us is the loss of child benefit. Can't imagine how despairing some families must be right now

Forum Mod

I think something needs to be done about these loan sharks preying on people in vulnerable situations,they make a bad situations a 100 times worse

Manchester

"I think something needs to be done about these loan sharks preying on people in vulnerable situations,they make a bad situations a 100 times worse"

+1

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"............

I thank my lucky stars that the worse to come to us is the loss of child benefit. Can't imagine how despairing some families must be right now "

Don't imagine for one minute that's as bad as it's going to get. Tory cuts have only just begun and they're targetted on the most vulnerable and most inarticulate.

"I think something needs to be done about these loan sharks preying on people in vulnerable situations,they make a bad situations a 100 times worse"

I would ban all television advertising for these companies and cap the level of interest they are allowed to charge. I realise that criminalising it doesn't stop it but at the moment there are few sanctions.

More credit unions would also help. Although I can't see the Big Society Bank helping credit unions when it finally comes into full operation.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I think something needs to be done about these loan sharks preying on people in vulnerable situations,they make a bad situations a 100 times worse

I would ban all television advertising for these companies and cap the level of interest they are allowed to charge. I realise that criminalising it doesn't stop it but at the moment there are few sanctions.

More credit unions would also help. Although I can't see the Big Society Bank helping credit unions when it finally comes into full operation."

Also limit the number of betting shops and online betting offers.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Around here in Greater Glasgow, the Scottish clearing banks are doing more than their fair share to support credit unions.

It seems, so I'm told, to be about sharing the marketplace with appropriate others.

Then there's Grameen Banking (Google it if you have to).

"I think something needs to be done about these loan sharks preying on people in vulnerable situations,they make a bad situations a 100 times worse

More credit unions would also help. Although I can't see the Big Society Bank helping credit unions when it finally comes into full operation.Also limit the number of betting shops and online betting offers. "

Some local authorities are now beginning to take a harder line on betting shops as they are taking over high streets.

The advertising for gambling online, using your phone and getting apps for gambling seem to be everywhere too.

"............

I thank my lucky stars that the worse to come to us is the loss of child benefit. Can't imagine how despairing some families must be right now

Don't imagine for one minute that's as bad as it's going to get. Tory cuts have only just begun and they're targetted on the most vulnerable and most inarticulate."

Spot on

Manchester

"............

Don't imagine for one minute that's as bad as it's going to get. Tory cuts have only just begun and they're targetted on the most vulnerable and most inarticulate."

Yes I had noticed that

"Around here in Greater Glasgow, the Scottish clearing banks are doing more than their fair share to support credit unions.

It seems, so I'm told, to be about sharing the marketplace with appropriate others.

Then there's Grameen Banking (Google it if you have to)."

Grameen Banking has been tried in a couple of areas in London with mixed results. Mohammed Yunus created something that helped so many in rural communities.

My parents and others from the West Indies used to have lending circles - partners. Everyone would pay in a set amount each week and each week a different person got the pot. It helped when you needed those bigger purchases, like a bed or school uniforms.

people dont think like that these days.

when ever i have been short of money i would sell something. we dont have what we cant afford. when i was a kid you used to see kids wearing hand me downs and clothes from the jumble sale and they didnt have lots of toys like they do now. so many kids have been spoilt by their parents thats why they find it so hard to cope when they dont get everything they want.

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

"............

Only 20% of the proposed cuts have been implemented, so can we imagine what it will be like when they get around to the other 80%.

I dont get unemployment benefit but i wish people would stop bashing the unemployed.

I wanna adopt charlotte to

» Add a new message to this topic