FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > congratulations

congratulations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does anyone else find people congratulations over when thinking about it odd things.

For example: when they become pregnant, you are basically congratulating them on doing the deed.

Any others ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Does anyone else find people congratulations "

Congratulate*

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's more congratulations for moving towards the type of family they want.

Unless you think that congratulations for getting married is actually congratulating people for their grandparents accepting that they do the deed?

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"Does anyone else find people congratulations over when thinking about it odd things.

For example: when they become pregnant, you are basically congratulating them on doing the deed.

Any others ? "

Think pregnancy is to be celebrated if that's what they want. Approximately 1 in 8 pregnancies end in miscarriage. It's not just about doing the deed.

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

I know what you mean. Those American chat/reality shows where the audience is expected to burst into rapturous applause because:

Someone has been alive a long time (congrats on not dying yet)

Someone has been married a long time (they could hate each other - but still)

Someone who weighed the same as 3 average humans now weighs the same as two average humans.

Someone has avoided the wrinkle fairy better than some.

Someone has a famous son or daughter- or a child/sibling who did something great.

#why I watch little reality tv/chat shows.

Manchester (she/her)

"I know what you mean. Those American chat/reality shows where the audience is expected to burst into rapturous applause because:

Someone who weighed the same as 3 average humans now weighs the same as two average humans.

Someone has a famous son or daughter- or a child/sibling who did something great.

#why I watch little reality tv/chat shows. "

I think the kid and weight loss ones are understandable - work you've put towards bringing up a child who's done well, work in overcoming the obstacles to losing weight.

I just see it as among social niceties that people are expected to go through. I've given up on them making sense (neurodivergent problems )

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Congratulations on being killjoys

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"Congratulations on being killjoys "

You're welcome

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Some days at work I think I deserve congratulations for not getting arrested for murder.....

A

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Congratulations for losing weight.

With the pregnancy thing I think it’s always safer to ask ‘how do you feel about it?’ Before extending congratulations?

Same with weight loss tbh. Rather than assumptions.

By *rafficvanMan  over a year ago

Middletown

Oi oi congratulations

Prestonish

"I know what you mean. Those American chat/reality shows where the audience is expected to burst into rapturous applause because:

I think the kid and weight loss ones are understandable - work you've put towards bringing up a child who's done well, work in overcoming the obstacles to losing weight.

I just see it as among social niceties that people are expected to go through. I've given up on them making sense (neurodivergent problems )"

Yeah - I was referring more about the rapturous applause from total strangers bit.

I have a good friend who works full time as a social worker and has 4 great kids. She’s an amazing woman. She was about a size 24-28 and hated it. She started exercising a lot (great) but also gave up eating and lived entirely on slimming shakes and snacks. Her weight went down to a size 14, she looked great and received rapturous praise/compliments.

Every time she tried to introduce real food into her diet she went up a couple of dress sizes and the praise stopped - so she went back on the shakes.

This went on for at least 2-3 years.

Fortunately she realised herself that her natural size wasn’t a size 14. She’s now a size 18 and healthy and happy. If she’d kept on the shakes to please others and take the congratulations she’d be in a very bad way by now.

I just think you need to be careful about offering rapturous congratulations when someone has lost a lot of weight. If they’re doing it in an unhealthy/dangerous way then you may just need to sit down, listen for a LONG time and find out what’s going on.

I’m probably not explaining this well - but I hope you get what I mean now.

Manchester (she/her)

I just see it as among social niceties that people are expected to go through. I've given up on them making sense (neurodivergent problems )

Yeah - I was referring more about the rapturous applause from total strangers bit.

I have a good friend who works full time as a social worker and has 4 great kids. She’s an amazing woman. She was about a size 24-28 and hated it. She started exercising a lot (great) but also gave up eating and lived entirely on slimming shakes and snacks. Her weight went down to a size 14, she looked great and received rapturous praise/compliments.

Every time she tried to introduce real food into her diet she went up a couple of dress sizes and the praise stopped - so she went back on the shakes.

This went on for at least 2-3 years.

Fortunately she realised herself that her natural size wasn’t a size 14. She’s now a size 18 and healthy and happy. If she’d kept on the shakes to please others and take the congratulations she’d be in a very bad way by now.

I just think you need to be careful about offering rapturous congratulations when someone has lost a lot of weight. If they’re doing it in an unhealthy/dangerous way then you may just need to sit down, listen for a LONG time and find out what’s going on.

I’m probably not explaining this well - but I hope you get what I mean now.

"

Yes, absolutely. I think reality TV is a crock in general

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

When people congratulate me on doing mundane things like going shopping, getting on a bus, taking my daughter to the park or frankly any other day to day activity that no able bodied person would be routinely congratulated for.

Oh, and I am NOT brave for pushing my wheelchair along a pavement

By *issEmmWoman  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Some days at work I think I deserve congratulations for not getting arrested for murder.....

A"

You must be really good at hiding the bodies then

It fucking winds me up when people (mainly Americans) clap when the plane lands.

What

The

Fuck

Yeah, well done for not crashing the plane and killing us all.

Congratulations on doing your fucking job.

Prestonish

"It fucking winds me up when people (mainly Americans) clap when the plane lands.

What

The

Fuck

Congratulations on doing your fucking job."

I get you - but a couple of years ago the whole country clapped nurses and carers at 8pm on a Thursday evening. I spoke to my mums carer about it. Her manager had assured her that the government/country was immensely grateful and they’d get big pay rises.

I bumped into her at Tesco a few weeks ago (mum’s dead now) and asked her how much they got. She’s on minimum wage plus 10p per hour.

That’s about the value of all that clapping.

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

Congratulations on your retirement!

Somebody who probably doesn't even know you exist has decided that now you've reached a certain age you are no longer physically or mentally able to do your job to a satisfactory standard, go home and prepare for death while living on the brink of poverty.

Please accept this bus pass to enjoy free socially distanced public transport.

yours sincerely,

Boris.

By *rafficvanMan  over a year ago

Middletown

"It fucking winds me up when people (mainly Americans) clap when the plane lands.

What

The

Fuck

Congratulations on doing your fucking job."

never noticed this haha

» Add a new message to this topic