FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > To be, or not to be... Happy

To be, or not to be... Happy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I just read through Cutes 'Happy' thread. I wanted to post but couldn't think of anything this morning

I know there are other Fabster here, who like myself are prescribed happy pills from the quack

Like most docs, mine is keen to end this relationship I have with my meds.

Every so often I take the initiative and give life a go without them for a few weeks. I wondered how many others do this? and if they/you find it as confusing as I do

Whilst taking my meds, I feel mostly happy.. I have no concrete idea why I feel happy but ya know 'Life feels good' so that OK isn't it?

Whilst off my meds, life most definitely does NOT feel good and I can think of a hundred and one reason why it isn't most of which I have little or no control over... or at least that's how it seems.

So which is it in reality? I *think* my life has to change but I get so confused as to which parts

How the hell do you work out which direction to take when for the most part you're either clouded by negativity or 'protected' by some drug induced belief that everything just great!

How does everyone else deal with it? Is it really just a case of 'Keep Taking the Meds'? lol!

... Confused of Leeds x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wanzMan  over a year ago

Swansea

I have a history of anti-deps aka Happy Pills ...

PM me and we can chat about things - I'd rater not discuss them in an open forum, and your profile is hidden so I cant contact you :o)

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Do you just stop taking them or do you ween yourself off them. I cant really say as my antidepressants are to just help one part of my illness, i take them along side antisycotics and mood stabilizers. If i stopped taking them it would mess up my whole drug system.

But if you just stop taking them with out beig weened you will feel poorly

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The first thing I guess is knowing the cause and feeling empowered enough to do something positive to improve matters. Helplessness is a terrible thing to experience

Touch wood, I have not been on medication for anything, and long may that continue.

With medications that act cross the blood brain barrier and act on the brain itself, like the selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, one should not stop taking them abruptly, as it could lead to withdrawal symptoms.

Seek medical advice on how to wean off the medication safely would be my advice.

@ Diamond

I just stop taking them, it's quite a gradual slide with me though.. I think also in some perverse way I am drawn to the 'familiarity' of it...it's like 'Oh hello me, where've you been hiding then?'

oooh TANGENT! it's snowing outside

"The first thing I guess is knowing the cause and feeling empowered enough to do something positive to improve matters. Helplessness is a terrible thing to experience "

I think that is part of the problem unfortuantely (not that I am completely helpless mind you) but the thing that may seem incredibly important one day to me, can seem so trite the next. So I make plans, work them down to every detail and a day later I'm like 'Really? did I actually think that?'

Snow- really?

The common SSRIs have a long half life and so take a long time to be eliminated from the body. Hence withdrawal symptoms (halo, fuzziness etc) come slowly.

One way is to taper off. Half dose for 2 weeks, then half again for 2 weeks. Then take one a week for a month.

I felt really suicidal when i was on citralopram so took myself off them.. So for me anti depressants actually made me worse.

For now i just bury my past in a bloomin great box in the back of my mind and became an actress.

"I felt really suicidal when i was on citralopram so took myself off them.. So for me anti depressants actually made me worse.

For now i just bury my past in a bloomin great box in the back of my mind and became an actress. "

Did that for years sweety! it's exhausting! ...and ya know these boxes are never as solid as you want them to be xxx

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

Whilst off my meds, life most definitely does NOT feel good and I can think of a hundred and one reason why it isn't most of which I have little or no control over... or at least that's how it seems.

So which is it in reality? I *think* my life has to change but I get so confused as to which parts

How the hell do you work out which direction to take when for the most part you're either clouded by negativity or 'protected' by some drug induced belief that everything just great!

How does everyone else deal with it? Is it really just a case of 'Keep Taking the Meds'? lol!

... Confused of Leeds x

"

Have you tried a life coach...... a good one.... a qualified one. Someone who will help you work out what you want to change and help you work out your own route to changing it.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"I felt really suicidal when i was on citralopram so took myself off them.. So for me anti depressants actually made me worse.

For now i just bury my past in a bloomin great box in the back of my mind and became an actress. "

I believe that is called denial and rarely works.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

Im always in a good mood unless im tired, or crossed , or hungy , deprived of sex, driving, walking, answering the phone or at work ...fuck me.. breathin

Sometimes im in a good mood ......

Merseyside

Too many people are prescribed 'happy pills' when the problem is life.

Ive never felt the need for them so can't comment.

I can only imagine ( and poorly ) what life is like trapped on medication.

When I am tired, or hungry, I can be ratty and snappy.

People can usually spot the signs, and leave me alone to get one with my work rather than to risk the wrath of me.

I am not called the Rottweiler at work for no reason!

"

... Confused of Leeds x

Have you tried a life coach...... a good one.... a qualified one. Someone who will help you work out what you want to change and help you work out your own route to changing it."

Hey,

I remember years ago Hugh Laurie talking about that in an inter_iew, changed his life totally according to him. It does sound like a good option. I've done the psychiatrist thang for several months and she did help enormously! I know not quite the same thing but does make me think I'd be open to that.

I hope to sell my house next year and have a few extra bob each month, so yeah.. thanks for that suggestion I will look into that when pennies allow xx

"Too many people are prescribed 'happy pills' when the problem is life.

Ive never felt the need for them so can't comment.

I can only imagine ( and poorly ) what life is like trapped on medication."

imagine living your life through smoke or candyfloss. Average joe blogs would be out cold for a week if they took one days worth of my medication.

"Im always in a good mood unless im tired, or crossed , or hungy , deprived of sex, driving, walking, answering the phone or at work ...fuck me.. breathin

Sometimes im in a good mood ......"

Ever thought of changing your name to 'Grumpy-Crumpet'?

You should never just stop taking your meds, they should be reduced gradually over time (a month minimum). You can also try taking natural medications such as St John's Wart and see if that helps (only when your anti-reps are out of your system).

If you truly want to be free of medication then I would suggest joining a support group or seeing a councillor to discuss your options and devise a coping strategy. It's certainly very possible with time and support.

I wish you the very best of luck and if you need help and advice I work closely with mental health professionals (I specialize in acquired brain injuries) and can, maybe point you in the right direction.

Or Grumpy Granny Crumpet!

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple  over a year ago

horwich

My mum was was anti dep pills for over 20 years. Funny but she was still very rarely what I would call 'happy'. She was agraphobic for years and it was a major part of my childhood. She got to a point where she had enough and did the lot in. In a away it was the shock of what she did after she had called an ambulance, that I think made her wake up, for want of a better word. Never took another pill, yes she still has some dark days but now she shines in a way she never did and it feels good to have my whole mum back.

Scarlett

I have been on happy pills now for 12yrs and they are now the highest dosage they have ever been, i am also keen to come off them but because the life i have at home is some what unpredictable (i have a severely disabled daughter), life can be pretty shit from time to time and my GP wants me to stay on them.

I have two weekends off a month where the girls go to their dads and i come over and stay with Pork, where i can be 'me'. I have often wondered if the pills are mind over matter and whether it is the pills that are making us happy or are we doing it ourselves? I have tried not taking them on occasions with no adverse affect, but both Pork and my dr are not happy about this because depression has to be sorted and if it means i have to take them, then i have to. I am hoping that they will drop the strength so that they keep just above falling into a dark deep pit of despair... Perky

"My mum was was anti dep pills for over 20 years. Funny but she was still very rarely what I would call 'happy'. She was agraphobic for years and it was a major part of my childhood. She got to a point where she had enough and did the lot in. In a away it was the shock of what she did after she had called an ambulance, that I think made her wake up, for want of a better word. Never took another pill, yes she still has some dark days but now she shines in a way she never did and it feels good to have my whole mum back.

Scarlett

"

That's great to read Scarlett, a good friends of mine has done the same recently and has been coping brilliantly. Glad you have your mum back xx

Merseyside

"Im always in a good mood unless im tired, or crossed , or hungy , deprived of sex, driving, walking, answering the phone or at work ...fuck me.. breathin

Ever thought of changing your name to 'Grumpy-Crumpet'? "

Thought of Cranny Grumpit

Merseyside

"Or Grumpy Granny Crumpet! "

Oi .. Camping Kween !

"I have been on happy pills now for 12yrs and they are now the highest dosage they have ever been, i am also keen to come off them but because the life i have at home is some what unpredictable (i have a severely disabled daughter), life can be pretty shit from time to time and my GP wants me to stay on them.

I have two weekends off a month where the girls go to their dads and i come over and stay with Pork, where i can be 'me'. I have often wondered if the pills are mind over matter and whether it is the pills that are making us happy or are we doing it ourselves? I have tried not taking them on occasions with no adverse affect, but both Pork and my dr are not happy about this because depression has to be sorted and if it means i have to take them, then i have to. I am hoping that they will drop the strength so that they keep just above falling into a dark deep pit of despair... Perky "

I think I was really very lucky that when I first spoke to my doc honestly about stuff, she took me very seriously and as well as the pills I had some great help offered me in the shape of talking therapy.

I think as sometone said above, the pills are handed out too easily at times with no real attempt to get to the root of it.

I really hope you find a balance between the two and that your doctor does decide to help you get off the pills... if that is right for you. xx

Ever thought of changing your name to 'Grumpy-Crumpet'?

Thought of Cranny Grumpit"

It does have a certain ring to it

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

I have a serious mh condition and depression is just a side effect of that condition. Im 49 and only taken meds on 3 occassions in my whole life. two different ssri's prozac and seroxat both disagreed and made me worse. SSRI's are notorius for that.The last one i took was amatryptalline an anti depressant prescribed for sleep. useless. Never again will i take their pills. I would rather be the me i know than be some chemical version. It helps me remember that in buddhist teaching all conditions are impermanent art also helps but not basket weaving And exercise is good.

For now i just bury my past in a bloomin great box in the back of my mind and became an actress.

I believe that is called denial and rarely works."

well its my only option other than to go stir crazy with questions that i will never know the answers too. ive addressed certain issues and stuck my fingers highly up to a man and i'll be dammed if he ruins my life and has that power over me any more..

so for now i've everything to live for and issues i've encountered are put to rest.

cbt is very good (cognitive behaviour therapy) it tries to change your thoughts and ideas, teaches you to rethink. Ive been doing it six years. But i think you can just go for a few sessions. Well i know you can cause ive known people that have booked for six sessions and its really helped them

"cbt is very good (cognitive behaviour therapy) it tries to change your thoughts and ideas, teaches you to rethink. Ive been doing it six years. But i think you can just go for a few sessions. Well i know you can cause ive known people that have booked for six sessions and its really helped them"

I did this too Diamond, I think for me it was a slow burner... I didn't think much of it at the time but think some of it did 'sink in' without me even reaizing it. When I look back at some of the notes from my first few visits I'm shocked and uncomfortable seeing how I used to think about a lot of things! So ultimately I would say yes, it helped more than I admitted/realised at the time

london

[Removed by poster at 27/10/12 14:46:30]

london

there is a problem with psychology and psychiatry as they dont recognise humans as spiritual beings. this can be summed up in a little story. A rumour spread about spains bravest and most famous ever bull fighter. That as a young child he hid in his mothers skirts, never leaving her side and peering out seemingly frightend of the world.

A psychologist said that he only become a bull fighter becuase he was ashamed of being so timid and needed to prove his masculinity.

A poet said that he hid in his mothers skirts because he knew what his destiny was going to be, fighting against spains biggest baddest bulls.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I really empathise with people who suffer from depression and other related problems, I really do. I do believe that sometimes the answer lies in medication, sometimes in one of the talking therapies and sometimes in a combination of both. I would advise people though to seek the talking therapies before the medication and if that alone does not help to consider medication after discussion with GPs. I have known too many people who end up stuck in a cycle of trying to come off medication only to go back on again.

My comment is not meant in any way critical of those who do stay/or have to be on medication long term.... just a thought of trying the less invasive therapies first.

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Best to just ween off them...

Suppose it depends on why on them in first place and for how long...

Hope it works out and you can get by without them xxx

I have had bouts of depression since I had my youngest. On and off through the years have been on fluxodine on and off for 10 years could feel myself slipping back and dont want to go there have already gone and spoke to my doc for next week and I swear by opening up I know its hard when your down but it does help so try and find a good councilor if need be. May have been knocked last week but I deal with things now by opening up when needed other wise its like a volcano of emotions ready to explode x

If i didnt take my medication i would be hospitalized within 2months and put back on the enhanced at risk register.

They took me of the enhanced risk register and put me on the normal one as long as i kept to my care plan now im not on the register at all. But for me it would be very dangerous not to take my medication. I had to go for an emergency appointment yesterday morning as id thrown a full blown wobbler during the night but i was in with the doctor 45 minutes and he managed to calm me down, then i had a great day. I dont think any two people with mental health problems are the same what will work for one wont work for another

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Life coach all the way...

good luck

» Add a new message to this topic