FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Pc clean up

Pc clean up

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *maz. OP   Man  over a year ago

Southampton / iford

Is there any way to wipe clean an old pc to give to someone,get rid of everything apart from windows ,will system restore do this ? Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orkieMan  over a year ago

Who knows

System restore wont remove files documents etc , it just does as it says ie restores your OS to a previous condition.

Best option is to reinstall Windows, but bear in mind that there are free progs out there which will recover deleted files, pics etc even after a format

By *coobyroo218Couple  over a year ago

Guernsey

our beleif with old pc and laptop is get rid never give it away, with the pics we have on here do you really want someone to take alook at what you have deleted.

when I get rid of a pc the first thing I do is take out the hard drive and hammer it to death.

you could always fit a new hard drive

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

No, not really... system restore is designed to roll back to a particular point in time so unless you made a restore point when the machine was freshly installed and nothing else had been installed on it then that's not really what you want to do.

I would suggest formatting the drive and then installing Windows freshly. Depending upon your pc you may have a DVD you can use our you may have a partition (think of a partition as a separate drive) that contains what you need to do a clean install.

Make sure you've got your license key handy if you do decide to do a reinstallation.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Also make sure you have your drivers disks to hand or know how to download and install the latest from websites like HP for your printer etc..

I had a separate HD partition in which I stored an Acronis TrueImage file that could restore my computer quickly to it's driver enabled 'fresh state'.

For documents / pics i always use DropBox. If my computer goes tits up it's stored in the cloud and i can just download them all back onto my comp.

check out several cleaners, some will have very high security cleaning...slimcleaner was one I used

Read this article:

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3898201/How-to-Completely-Wipe-Data-from-a-PC.htm

By *maz. OP   Man  over a year ago

Southampton / iford

Thanks everyone for all your info ,will try what you all suggested and let you know ,thanks again for all your replies ,

By *enturianMan  over a year ago

Bideford

Do a complete system re master, what operating system are you on? Then run free ccleaner and do a gutman 35 times wipe of all files.. PM me if you need help

Chances are the person you're giving the PC to will not have the skills or even the inclination to recover your deleted files.

However, if you're that uneasy about it - replace the hard disk drive.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"Chances are the person you're giving the PC to will not have the skills or even the inclination to recover your deleted files.

However, if you're that uneasy about it - replace the hard disk drive."

That's true.

"

However, if you're that uneasy about it - replace the hard disk drive."

This is the best piece of advice if you're concerned about data privacy. A new drive is what, £35 from your local PC merchants and then you dont have any worries.

Then you can use my favourite hard drive eraser. A set of torx drivers and a Lumphammer.

Oh, and the Neodymium magnest in hard drives have a myriad of uses!

» Add a new message to this topic