FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Getting involved in your local community

Getting involved in your local community

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just wondering who gets involved within your local community. Going to a meeting this afternoon since Tesco took over our local centre they have all but turned it into a ghost town have ran all the little shops out of business and we have had to fight for our local post office that they tried to close down.

They moved in 4 years ago and promised a lot but delivered nothing. They are putting more planning in and we have a community meeting this afternoon and this evening with the big wigs for Tesco and the local MP coming along too.

So the question is, is it important to get involved.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I do.... but more in the doing good stuff than the meetings to moan about shit.

"I do.... but more in the doing good stuff than the meetings to moan about shit."

Do good stuff too in the middle of doing a community garden outside the local library to celebrate its 30 years birthday.

And its Thursday so I am allowed a little rant.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

Did you shop at Tesco though ?

Wasn't Tesco that shut the little shops but customer disloyalty.

Merseyside

Sorry ............missed the question at the bottom ...

Yes it's important to get involved but generally at the start.

Don't fight Tesco too hard. If they close and go your little shops won't be back.

To be fair to Tesco the Post Office are closing Post Offices. We can't blame successful businesses for everything.

All hail Amazon and Starbucks.......

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

we are opposite, the little shops doing well, but asda moved to a much bigger premises, and tesco took over the old asda store, but always good for a quiet shop in there. asda like a kids playground at weekends, and thats my thursday rant

They moved the little shops out when they first moved in 4 years ago and the last to go the newsagent a few weeks ago.

Promises that are not delivered and the people do get up and fight but how do you fight the big people. And no have not been in tesco for a while.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

In general....Women no longer have the time to toddle down to the local shops with little 'Johnny' in his pram, shoot the breeze with other mums and have a cozy chat with the local greengrocer and butcher.....because in general most modern days mums are too busy working to find the time to do so.

A record number of 'housewives' now work part or full time, for many the only chance to shop is to grab an hour at their local Tesco or Asda on a Friday night....

Britain has changed....and it won't be changing back to how it was anytime soon

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

on line......

no need for shops

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

but no I do not get involved.

"They moved the little shops out when they first moved in 4 years ago and the last to go the newsagent a few weeks ago.

Promises that are not delivered and the people do get up and fight but how do you fight the big people. And no have not been in tesco for a while."

That depends what promises they have not delivered?

no we dont get involved.

Hail Amazon and Starbucks?...

It's because big business doesn't give a stuff that so many people can't afford to shop at Tesco let alone the little shops!

Little shops haven't gone out of business because Tesco are either cheaper or better. They have gone out of business because they made customer service their No.1 priority and yet with Tesco it is profit.

It's all great until Tesco are the only retailer left, then what do you think a pint of milk, loaf of bread or carton of eggs will cost you?

Hail them all you like but what goes around comes around and in the world or super retailers untilemately you will end up with less competition and higher prices.

"Just wondering who gets involved within your local community. Going to a meeting this afternoon since Tesco took over our local centre they have all but turned it into a ghost town have ran all the little shops out of business and we have had to fight for our local post office that they tried to close down.

They moved in 4 years ago and promised a lot but delivered nothing. They are putting more planning in and we have a community meeting this afternoon and this evening with the big wigs for Tesco and the local MP coming along too.

So the question is, is it important to get involved."

Very important!

The community should make a stand.

Sorry forgot to add that the same Tesco you rate highly will not be happy until we all weigh 30 stone.

We throw away 30% of what we buy and yet prices are rising due to lack of supply?

In the old days people went to the shop down the road every couple of days and bought what they needed. There was less wastage and people didn't eat because they were being pushed to, they were thinner, healthier and the future of the NHS looked much brighter than it does now!

Merseyside

"Hail Amazon and Starbucks?...

It's because big business doesn't give a stuff that so many people can't afford to shop at Tesco let alone the little shops!

Little shops haven't gone out of business because Tesco are either cheaper or better. They have gone out of business because they made customer service their No.1 priority and yet with Tesco it is profit.

It's all great until Tesco are the only retailer left, then what do you think a pint of milk, loaf of bread or carton of eggs will cost you?

Hail them all you like but what goes around comes around and in the world or super retailers untilemately you will end up with less competition and higher prices."

I used to sell pegs door to door to feed my family then along came a chandlers.. the rest is history.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Sorry forgot to add that the same Tesco you rate highly will not be happy until we all weigh 30 stone.

We throw away 30% of what we buy and yet prices are rising due to lack of supply?

In the old days people went to the shop down the road every couple of days and bought what they needed. There was less wastage and people didn't eat because they were being pushed to, they were thinner, healthier and the future of the NHS looked much brighter than it does now!"

why do Tesco want you 20 stone

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It depends on the issue. I have been to various market towns when large supermarkets have set their sights on moving in. I am always saddened to see independent shops close and everywhere become the same high street.

To rephrase Granny, it means nothing if you then shop in that supermarket. Your community involvement and opposition is better shown by remaining loyal to Jones the Butcher and Patel the Haberdasher.

Off to do my community bit this afternoon.

Merseyside

"Sorry forgot to add that the same Tesco you rate highly will not be happy until we all weigh 30 stone.

In the old days people went to the shop down the road every couple of days and bought what they needed. There was less wastage and people didn't eat because they were being pushed to, they were thinner, healthier and the future of the NHS looked much brighter than it does now!"

People are fatter that's true. It's not down to Tesco though....

All hail Wallmart and Costa Ohmmmmmmmm.

Incidentally ( I didn't want to point out that I never said the things you say I said cos your indignance gives me the giggles ) There isn't a Tesco by me. I use whatever , where ever.. Waitrose if I really want to feel financially superior....

May I take the opportunity that Tesco sell FRESH vegetables and Protiens and that the purchase of shite by the uneducated brainwashed poverty stricken masses is down to a combination of societal issues.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I just made lentil soup this morning....

with a smoked ham shank that was £3, vegetables that were £3 carrots, turnips, leeks and onion and a bag of lentils, £1

and water, I got for nothing.

£7 and I think I will freeze probably 10/12 single servings

little effort, little expense......

and I am not a great cook

Merseyside

"It depends on the issue. I have been to various market towns when large supermarkets have set their sights on moving in. I am always saddened to see independent shops close and everywhere become the same high street.

To rephrase Granny, it means nothing if you then shop in that supermarket. Your community involvement and opposition is better shown by remaining loyal to Jones the Butcher and Patel the Haberdasher.

Off to do my community bit this afternoon."

Patel the haberdasher ..... stop it ...lol

I think I help my local community through various Fab based activities thank you very much.

The rest can go fuck themselves

I thought if I kept the curtains closed they wouldn't see me.... the the Tesco Triads have just turnd up and are forcing me to go shopping..... I have no choice I don't want to go... honest gov'! I bet the fucking Morrisons Mafia turn up on Saturday..... bastards!

Merseyside

"I think I help my local community through various Fab based activities thank you very much.

The rest can go fuck themselves "

Oh selfish !

Merseyside

"I just made lentil soup this morning....

with a smoked ham shank that was £3, vegetables that were £3 carrots, turnips, leeks and onion and a bag of lentils, £1

and I am not a great cook"

Slurp ! Man after my own heart. I had Haggis , Tatties n Neaps the other day ..... I was in Edinburgh tho ... ( John Lewis ) All hail John Lewis .....

By *edriderCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

recently our sons nursery wanted to make the woodland area surrounding it safe so the kids could explore it, great idea but no funding or help from council so hubby and a few others made the area safe and local tesco heard about it and supplied kids waterproofs and other things so just shows theyre not all bad!

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Slurp ! Man after my own heart. I had Haggis , Tatties n Neaps the other day ..... I was in Edinburgh tho ... ( John Lewis ) All hail John Lewis ..... "

John Lewis is Edinburgh is my least favourite, what did you think of the store... I love John Lewis but there is something about that one..

"

There is a requirement for self responsibility here, they do not force feed us! they do not make us throw away 30% of the stuff we buy.

So shopping can be 50% cheaper, if you don't over eat and don't buy stuff to throw away.

Customer service is where the supermarkets thrive not the small shops that shut as you leave work and require you to spend half a day shopping, those days have gone, people blame the supermarkets for catering to the needs they have!

We reap what we sow.

Merseyside

"recently our sons nursery wanted to make the woodland area surrounding it safe so the kids could explore it, great idea but no funding or help from council so hubby and a few others made the area safe and local tesco heard about it and supplied kids waterproofs and other things so just shows theyre not all bad! "

Ummmmmm It shows that they know a bit about P.R. and cheap advertising but yeah ... they do a LOT of things like that.

Other supermarkets are available....

All hail Aldi and other Smorgasbord Selling Shops

Merseyside

Slurp ! Man after my own heart. I had Haggis , Tatties n Neaps the other day ..... I was in Edinburgh tho ... ( John Lewis ) All hail John Lewis .....

John Lewis is Edinburgh is my least favourite, what did you think of the store... I love John Lewis but there is something about that one.."

I only know John Lewis Liverpool and John Lewis Edinburgh and I like their service and customer relations...

Don't buy much there except grandkids clothes , electricals and gifts. And uhmmmmmm Carrot Cake

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I try and shop locally from small retailers, get meat from butchers etc. I dont think it is just about Tesco although they treat people like commodities, not just customers but also their suppliers but hey that is another story.

Additionally I do shop at Aldi and Lidl mainly because they offer real value for money.

Merseyside

"I try and shop locally from small retailers, get meat from butchers etc. I dont think it is just about Tesco although they treat people like commodities, not just customers but also their suppliers but hey that is another story.

Additionally I do shop at Aldi and Lidl mainly because they offer real value for money. "

They sell lubbish !

"I try and shop locally from small retailers, get meat from butchers etc. I dont think it is just about Tesco although they treat people like commodities, not just customers but also their suppliers but hey that is another story.

Additionally I do shop at Aldi and Lidl mainly because they offer real value for money.

They sell lubbish !"

Lubbish?

Stop being harsh on the community Granny.

They are the people who check if you're warm in winter, the ones who look out for you, and the ones who poke cat shit through your letterbox cos you're a miserable twat!

Merseyside

They sell lubbish !Lubbish? "

Yes Lubbish ....

I often in there and no matter which blanch they look like jumblie sales.... I like some of the flesh or flozen stuff but the lest is lubbish ....

They sell lubbish !Lubbish?

Yes Lubbish ....

I often in there and no matter which blanch they look like jumblie sales.... I like some of the flesh or flozen stuff but the lest is lubbish ...."

Got you! Probably depends on the local management same as in Germany where they originated - where I live they are pretty good, with Aldi being better than Lidl on choices and freshness. Mind I like shopping there as I can get a lot of the continental stuff I like.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Where getting our third supermarket soon. We have tesco in the centre, a coop on the outside and this new one not sure if its going to be waitrose or sainsburies will be on the industrial estate. They have regenerated our town beyond reconition. A brand new primary school, fantastic acadamy secondary school, a new sixth form college has just been completed. We never have had high street shops here excecpt boots and now wilkinsons. All the others are small shops, but they tend to be hairdressers, boutiques ect. I dont think the butchers are struggling and we have one veg and fruit shop which is the special needs people. They have one manager and they alternative the staff with people with downs syndrome and such like, so that is very well supported. So if it wasnt for the supermarkets unless you wanted a ballgown, a hair cut or a new house you would be fucked

[Removed by poster at 25/10/12 12:50:20]

"a ballgown, a hair cut or a new house you would be fucked"

And if you go to all that trouble and don't get fucked there is something very wrong in the world

"a ballgown, a hair cut or a new house you would be fucked

And if you go to all that trouble and don't get fucked there is something very wrong in the world "

Lol its true, we have "select" little shops, its one of those places people visit for the afternoon. We do have our very own department lol. But you would have to go into the city to do any proper shopping or the next town

Well just been up to have a look at the new revised plans and more or less the same as the last lot which got approved 5 years ago and 5 years we are still waiting for a new Centre or Tecso. A group of friends are there with thier petition. So we will see what happens.

» Add a new message to this topic