FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How will the inflation affect you?

How will the inflation affect you?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I heard on the news how the uk inflation is rising at its fastest rate for 30 years as fuel, energy and food costs surged, inflation is the rate at which prices rise, for example, if the price of a bottle of milk is £1 and it rises by 5p, then milk inflation is 5%, they say that the war in ukraine have a direct affect on it, what do you think? That might be one of the reasons for it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sadly there’s not a lot we can do. Interest rates in the 80s or 90s were over 12%.

The very little I have in savings is getting 0.01%, no point in it.

You can raise everything including NI and council tax but the bottom line is then won’t go for a coffee in town or go for a meal, I won’t be able to afford to

So if everyone does that shops go under, councils don’t get rent or rates and more people become unemployed. It’s a never ending circle.

We can’t go an as we are and some believe the best way is to spend your way out of a recession.

It's definitely going to affect my Friday/Saturday night plans.

Just won't be eating/drinking out.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Well, like for everybody, my money wont go as far. But what is interesting, is that our dear tory overlords are raising national insurance and plan to reduce income tax, while maintaining a loophole that that reduces national insurance for landowners. This has the effect of reducing tax on the wealthy and for those receiving unearned profits through private renting, with the slack being picked up by the poorest in society. Meanwhile the government plans to barely lift a finger to reduce the impact of rising fuel costs, once again putting profit ahead of the welfare of its citizens.

Will it just be coffee or a bun going forwards and not both?

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

I'm glad I don't have a mortgage or rent to pay.

I have no dependents, only myself to look after so it won't affect greatly x

"Well, like for everybody, my money wont go as far. But what is interesting, is that our dear tory overlords are raising national insurance and plan to reduce income tax, while maintaining a loophole that that reduces national insurance for landowners. This has the effect of reducing tax on the wealthy and for those receiving unearned profits through private renting, with the slack being picked up by the poorest in society. Meanwhile the government plans to barely lift a finger to reduce the impact of rising fuel costs, once again putting profit ahead of the welfare of its citizens."

Fuel in my local station went up 6p/litre 2 nights ago knowing there would be a 5p/litre reduction!!

"Well, like for everybody, my money wont go as far. But what is interesting, is that our dear tory overlords are raising national insurance and plan to reduce income tax, while maintaining a loophole that that reduces national insurance for landowners. This has the effect of reducing tax on the wealthy and for those receiving unearned profits through private renting, with the slack being picked up by the poorest in society. Meanwhile the government plans to barely lift a finger to reduce the impact of rising fuel costs, once again putting profit ahead of the welfare of its citizens."

Yeah, but that other fella would have sent us back to the 1970s.

Aylesbury

"Well, like for everybody, my money wont go as far. But what is interesting, is that our dear tory overlords are raising national insurance and plan to reduce income tax, while maintaining a loophole that that reduces national insurance for landowners. This has the effect of reducing tax on the wealthy and for those receiving unearned profits through private renting, with the slack being picked up by the poorest in society. Meanwhile the government plans to barely lift a finger to reduce the impact of rising fuel costs, once again putting profit ahead of the welfare of its citizens.

Fuel in my local station went up 6p/litre 2 nights ago knowing there would be a 5p/litre reduction!!"

But those poor petroleum companies and their record profits, I feel so bad for them!

The rich people need to buy food and cars too, not just the poor people. It's good that the government is thinking of them. It's more expensive to have 2+ houses.

Aylesbury

"Well, like for everybody, my money wont go as far. But what is interesting, is that our dear tory overlords are raising national insurance and plan to reduce income tax, while maintaining a loophole that that reduces national insurance for landowners. This has the effect of reducing tax on the wealthy and for those receiving unearned profits through private renting, with the slack being picked up by the poorest in society. Meanwhile the government plans to barely lift a finger to reduce the impact of rising fuel costs, once again putting profit ahead of the welfare of its citizens.

Yeah, but that other fella would have sent us back to the 1970s."

You say that like the tories haven't. The welfare in this country hasnt been this bad since the 50s ffs!

You say that like the tories haven't. The welfare in this country hasnt been this bad since the 50s ffs!"

I was teasing / pointing out the irony.

"Sadly there’s not a lot we can do. Interest rates in the 80s or 90s were over 12%.

The very little I have in savings is getting 0.01%, no point in it.

You can raise everything including NI and council tax but the bottom line is then won’t go for a coffee in town or go for a meal, I won’t be able to afford to

So if everyone does that shops go under, councils don’t get rent or rates and more people become unemployed. It’s a never ending circle.

We can’t go an as we are and some believe the best way is to spend your way out of a recession. "

The mortgage rates at 12% were awful times. I remember loads of houses for sale at stupid prices because they'd been repossessed.

Aylesbury

You say that like the tories haven't. The welfare in this country hasnt been this bad since the 50s ffs!

I was teasing / pointing out the irony. "

Sorry, I did think from previous encounters that you had sense, but this subject really gets my dander up lol

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

The rich people need to buy food and cars too, not just the poor people. It's good that the government is thinking of them. It's more expensive to have 2+ houses. "

My heart bleeds for them

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

I dread to think how it will affect me. I haven't done anything to reduce my spending, yet, but I know it isn't far off.

I stop doing things during lockdown and had I carried those on, eeeeeek.

Aylesbury

The rich people need to buy food and cars too, not just the poor people. It's good that the government is thinking of them. It's more expensive to have 2+ houses. My heart bleeds for them "

Agreed, if they need money then they could just sell their property. They get bank plus it helps free up property for those that need it.

"

We can’t go an as we are and some believe the best way is to spend your way out of a recession. "

Yes, Keynesian economics (a mostly left leaning ideology) advocates spending when times are tough (Roosevelt's New Deal that got the US out of the great depression) and saving when times are good.

It always made sense to me.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I'm fortunate as I also do not have a mortgage to pay but we now have a third income coming in. I am sorry to all those struggling and I hope this will improve soon.

I was teasing / pointing out the irony.

Sorry, I did think from previous encounters that you had sense, but this subject really gets my dander up lol"

I can fully associate

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

I’m genuinely scared to buy a property.

I don’t want to rent forever, but I feel like I’m buying at a high and it’ll crash leaving me in negative equity

No idea what to do. Maybe just take my entire deposit and emigrate. With my trade I get express entry into a lot of countries

"I’m genuinely scared to buy a property.

I don’t want to rent forever, but I feel like I’m buying at a high and it’ll crash leaving me in negative equity

No idea what to do. Maybe just take my entire deposit and emigrate. With my trade I get express entry into a lot of countries "

It’s very tempting to do that tbh

I’m not looking forward to seeing the price of a Freddo in a few weeks

Its an utter disgrace that in an age where theres more food available in the world than theres ever been people will starve to death because of a mismanaged planet full of corruption and greed humanity's only hope is a future where money no longer exists people work only to better themselves and people around them thats the only way i can see it until then we will all run ourselves to death on gerrys hamster wheel fighting to survive unable to live

"I’m not looking forward to seeing the price of a Freddo in a few weeks "

I love that Freddonomics is a thing. What a brilliantly simple way to highlight an economic principle.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"

We can’t go an as we are and some believe the best way is to spend your way out of a recession.

Yes, Keynesian economics (a mostly left leaning ideology) advocates spending when times are tough (Roosevelt's New Deal that got the US out of the great depression) and saving when times are good.

It always made sense to me."

at the moment there is a real squeeze on incomes, wages are not keeping up so its difficult for people to spend more money

"I’m not looking forward to seeing the price of a Freddo in a few weeks

I love that Freddonomics is a thing. What a brilliantly simple way to highlight an economic principle."

It’s brilliant isn’t it

Thankfully it doesn’t affect my mortgage as I just remortgaged not that long ago when interest rates were low and fixed for 5 years.

Taxes are high for low and middle income earners. Let’s be honest the higher rate is hitting a lot of middle income earners as the threshold isn’t actually that high. Would like to see a separate band come in, so that it separates those on £50k with those on 6 figure salaries. Happy to may more than the basic rate but shouldn’t be paying same rate as those earning between £100k-£150k. I’m now just putting my entire bonus into pension fund so I can keep the money that I earned.

In the current economic climate, I struggle to see how increasing interest rates lowers inflation. Fuel has gone up which means it costs more to fill up our tanks. Delivery costs will go up which is then reflected in the prices we have to pay for goods, food etc.

With Ukraine (and Russia) being attacked and them being one of the main wheat growing countries, its highly likely that flour (and associated grains) will also increase in price (better buy flour now if you like to bake your own - not sure about toilet rolls?). Increasing interest rates puts a cub on our spending, although I am struggling to see why that would curb our spending. Surely the fact that increased prices will do that by itself.

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

It won't effect me at all but I'm in a position where I can help my loved ones out if/when it starts to effect them.

"

It always made sense to me.

at the moment there is a real squeeze on incomes, wages are not keeping up so its difficult for people to spend more money "

Government spending not personal spending, I fully take your point tho.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

This was happening even before the war and same with covid it's a great way to pin the blame on something ( we owed nearly 1 trillion before covid even hit )and had the lowest wage increases on record and of course ever increasing poverty rates and food bank usage and inflation will hit everyone to some degree or other though just depends if you can cut out stuff but for the lowest pay they have already cut back and back so as the money gets tight and belts tighten be a truly horrible time for some as their jobs dissapear and a great 100% time to be in the 10% xxx PS yet to fill the full on force of Brexshit yet either

By *akie32Man  over a year ago

winchester

"

Agreed, if they need money then they could just sell their property. They get bank plus it helps free up property for those that need it."

I think thats a very simplistic view.

if people with BTL sold them then all you would get is emplty homes as those renting them usually cant aford to buy.

I remember back in the 90,s my mortgage was something like 12% but i was young and worked two jobs, it wasnt easy but managed.

Now days it suits me to rent, yes its dead money but at this time of my life it works for me.

I dont begrudge my landlord for owning a BTL, as if he didnt i would have nowhere to live, even back in the 80,s there were second home owners, nothing has really changed there, it has however become more common as people down size and want to invest.

Despite renting i also have a home i rent out in a different part of the country, as it made scence to keep it rather than sell, my tenants are very happy there, and i cant think of a better way to save for retirement, and the rent covers my mortgage etc.

It was my family home from when i was married, so to big for me, plus ive moved for work so it wouldnt work for me to stay there, not all landlords are rich fatcats milking the system, alot like me are for want of a better word, acidental landlords.

And with house prices as high as they are, i cant see that changing anytime soon

"

Agreed, if they need money then they could just sell their property. They get bank plus it helps free up property for those that need it.

if people with BTL sold them then all you would get is emplty homes as those renting them usually cant aford to buy.

I remember back in the 90,s my mortgage was something like 12% but i was young and worked two jobs, it wasnt easy but managed.

Now days it suits me to rent, yes its dead money but at this time of my life it works for me.

I dont begrudge my landlord for owning a BTL, as if he didnt i would have nowhere to live, even back in the 80,s there were second home owners, nothing has really changed there, it has however become more common as people down size and want to invest.

Despite renting i also have a home i rent out in a different part of the country, as it made scence to keep it rather than sell, my tenants are very happy there, and i cant think of a better way to save for retirement, and the rent covers my mortgage etc.

It was my family home from when i was married, so to big for me, plus ive moved for work so it wouldnt work for me to stay there, not all landlords are rich fatcats milking the system, alot like me are for want of a better word, acidental landlords.

And with house prices as high as they are, i cant see that changing anytime soon"

But surely if house prices are high then selling is a viable option?

Breaking it down to the micro level, just out of interest, how much would you estimate someone who has the means to spend their wealth and buys services and products which, in turn, keep others employed, spends on VAT? Just on fuel tax alone, would they be paying taxes on more petrol that they use and higher fuel bills? Dining out has tax. Things like that.

At the same time, they aren't using national resources like the NHS or even schools, which, also incur taxes on those bills.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

Currently I'm in a reasonable position.

Fixed rate mortgage for a couple of years, fixed rate energy prices until Sep 23.

Food and diesel costs I'll just have to absorb.

winchester

the biggest problem isnt inflation, it has been way higher in the past and we coped, the big problem is that we are being taxed more now than ever, so people are earning less, until that changes then things wont get better.

alot go on about fuel duty, some dont realise that on top of fuel duty we pay vat on it aswell, so a tax on a tax, crazy, and stamp duty is so high people cant afford to move, my mum down sized recently after my dad died, the stamp duty was nearly 90k, 90k straight to the gov for them to waste, madness.

Simplest answer is i dont know until im penniless im just glad i know how to hunt so il never starve

My mortgage is fixed thank goodness

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I think it was going happen anyway, with or without Russia getting involved. The energy prices were already set to go up.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to cope/manage.

Done a bit of number crunching and my income is no where near my essential outgoings, and that's just utility bills and food. I won't have any money for anything else.

By *inx.x3Woman  over a year ago

Bath

My mortgage is fixed but only to October next year as I did a 2 year fix last October.

Geninuly don’t know what to do. It was set to be paid off in 10 years time.

Not sure if I can call the bank and pay some sort of get out clause to fix it in for 5 years. The Interest rate is only 1.04% at the moment and I’m worried it will be a lot higher by next Oct

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"My mortgage is fixed but only to October next year as I did a 2 year fix last October.

Not sure if I can call the bank and pay some sort of get out clause to fix it in for 5 years. The Interest rate is only 1.04% at the moment and I’m worried it will be a lot higher by next Oct

"

Depending on your deal you will have early repayment fees. This is a percentage of the amount you repay.

You need to work out whether those costs are greater or smaller than the money you will save by switching mortgage.

I have switched whilst still inside my fixed term deal and I've also stuck with a deal despite wanting to switch as the costs outweighed the savings.

"Its an utter disgrace that in an age where theres more food available in the world than theres ever been people will starve to death because of a mismanaged planet full of corruption and greed humanity's only hope is a future where money no longer exists people work only to better themselves and people around them thats the only way i can see it until then we will all run ourselves to death on gerrys hamster wheel fighting to survive unable to live"

It is a disgrace that people will die of poverty and starvation in this country. That children are going hungry every day. That disabled people won't be able to afford the fuel to help keep themselves healthy and moving. I'm very worried about the future, not just mine but this country's future. A government that gives no fucks for the vulnerable led by extraordinarily wealthy people who have no concept of poverty.

I have four dependents and work for myself. No mortgage or rent once I move next month. I am lucky enough to have a very supportive family around me, who've helped me out financially. I'm finding other sources of income at present. I rarely go out and don't have holidays so no change there.

winchester

"

And with house prices as high as they are, i cant see that changing anytime soon

But surely if house prices are high then selling is a viable option?"

only if there is someone to buy it

By *inx.x3Woman  over a year ago

Bath

"My mortgage is fixed but only to October next year as I did a 2 year fix last October.

Depending on your deal you will have early repayment fees. This is a percentage of the amount you repay.

You need to work out whether those costs are greater or smaller than the money you will save by switching mortgage.

I have switched whilst still inside my fixed term deal and I've also stuck with a deal despite wanting to switch as the costs outweighed the savings."

Thanks. Just looked through my documents and it will be about 1.5k to get out of it and switch. Il have to do some calculations later.

Aylesbury

"

only if there is someone to buy it"

I'm sure there would be somebody to buy it if you sold it for an affordable price, but you wouldn't because property owners expect the prices to increase and get upset when prices fall.

Besides, if wage increases actually matched the rise in property prices then there would be more interest in buying the property for the amount you want for it. But instead business owners prefer to keep the money rather than distribute it to the people that keep their businesses running. And yes that is a simplification that doesnt apply to all businesses, but it does apply to capitalism as a whole.

"

I'm sure there would be somebody to buy it if you sold it for an affordable price, but you wouldn't because property owners expect the prices to increase and get upset when prices fall.

Besides, if wage increases actually matched the rise in property prices then there would be more interest in buying the property for the amount you want for it. But instead business owners prefer to keep the money rather than distribute it to the people that keep their businesses running. And yes that is a simplification that doesnt apply to all businesses, but it does apply to capitalism as a whole."

Your viewpoint doesn't reflect a lot of people with extra properties, successful businesses or wealth in general worked bloody hard.

Not everyone had it handed to them.

I pay ample tax, I pay significantly more than I get out. It's very easy to replay the 'for the many' mantra.

I don't subscribe to your view. It is in my opinion very blinkered and tells a small part of peoples situation and 'wealth'.

By *omer47Man  over a year ago

leigh

I've no mortgage, no dependants but it will still affect me in some way. You still have to pay water,gas,electricity,fuel and thats without food. Russia/Ukrainian war isn't helping but the lockdown didn't help either as thousands were put on furlow and that cost the government, (no lets get it right ),the TAX PAYERS, millions.energy companies have been asked to cut there costs for years by the government and haven't. We only get 3% of our gas from Russia so why its so expensive who knows. Surely the saudis have enough oil to supply us with out having to pay huge amounts to Russia....but don't worry as we ALWAYS have enough money to help other countries rather than helping out our own people first.

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I've no mortgage, no dependants but it will still affect me in some way. You still have to pay water,gas,electricity,fuel and thats without food. Russia/Ukrainian war isn't helping but the lockdown didn't help either as thousands were put on furlow and that cost the government, (no lets get it right ),the TAX PAYERS, millions.energy companies have been asked to cut there costs for years by the government and haven't. We only get 3% of our gas from Russia so why its so expensive who knows. Surely the saudis have enough oil to supply us with out having to pay huge amounts to Russia....but don't worry as we ALWAYS have enough money to help other countries rather than helping out our own people first. "

The last part of your post us so true!

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I've no mortgage, no dependants but it will still affect me in some way. You still have to pay water,gas,electricity,fuel and thats without food. Russia/Ukrainian war isn't helping but the lockdown didn't help either as thousands were put on furlow and that cost the government, (no lets get it right ),the TAX PAYERS, millions.energy companies have been asked to cut there costs for years by the government and haven't. We only get 3% of our gas from Russia so why its so expensive who knows. Surely the saudis have enough oil to supply us with out having to pay huge amounts to Russia....but don't worry as we ALWAYS have enough money to help other countries rather than helping out our own people first.

The last part of your post us so true! "

Was just going to say that!

"I've no mortgage, no dependants but it will still affect me in some way. You still have to pay water,gas,electricity,fuel and thats without food. Russia/Ukrainian war isn't helping but the lockdown didn't help either as thousands were put on furlow and that cost the government, (no lets get it right ),the TAX PAYERS, millions.energy companies have been asked to cut there costs for years by the government and haven't. We only get 3% of our gas from Russia so why its so expensive who knows. Surely the saudis have enough oil to supply us with out having to pay huge amounts to Russia....but don't worry as we ALWAYS have enough money to help other countries rather than helping out our own people first.

Was just going to say that!"

If only they taxed the billionaires and massive corporations their fair share they’d have enough money help everyone.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

As long as Maccyds keeps their cheese burgers at 99p we are gtg.

winchester

"

Besides, if wage increases actually matched the rise in property prices then there would be more interest in buying the property for the amount you want for it. But instead business owners prefer to keep the money rather than distribute it to the people that keep their businesses running. And yes that is a simplification that doesnt apply to all businesses, but it does apply to capitalism as a whole.

Your viewpoint doesn't reflect a lot of people with extra properties, successful businesses or wealth in general worked bloody hard.

I pay ample tax, I pay significantly more than I get out. It's very easy to replay the 'for the many' mantra.

I don't subscribe to your view. It is in my opinion very blinkered and tells a small part of peoples situation and 'wealth'.

"

yhis in spades, as i said i ended up owning a house i didnt need, that i worked bloody hard for,so i rent it out, i also rent another house to live in, so i dont understand, does that make me a rich fat cat or a pennyless renter

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"I've no mortgage, no dependants but it will still affect me in some way. You still have to pay water,gas,electricity,fuel and thats without food. Russia/Ukrainian war isn't helping but the lockdown didn't help either as thousands were put on furlow and that cost the government, (no lets get it right ),the TAX PAYERS, millions.energy companies have been asked to cut there costs for years by the government and haven't. We only get 3% of our gas from Russia so why its so expensive who knows. Surely the saudis have enough oil to supply us with out having to pay huge amounts to Russia....but don't worry as we ALWAYS have enough money to help other countries rather than helping out our own people first. "

Ohh wow! x

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

Inflation can make me feel very full sometimes but that depends on how many pumps I give my inflatable butt plug

No mortgage, no dependents apart from 2 cats. If I can get them to eat beans on toast life will be grand

If only they taxed the billionaires and massive corporations their fair share they’d have enough money help everyone."

There's enough money. The government chose to spend £37 billion pounds on Test n Trace which a cross party report concluded failed to make a measurable difference on the spread of the pandemic. The foreign aid budget in 2021 was £11.1 billion. Not sure what the point is about helping citizens in other countries as well as our own?

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

No idea what to do. Maybe just take my entire deposit and emigrate. With my trade I get express entry into a lot of countries "

I am pretty sure Reading will just go up. But it's a risk.

If only they taxed the billionaires and massive corporations their fair share they’d have enough money help everyone.

There's enough money. The government chose to spend £37 billion pounds on Test n Trace which a cross party report concluded failed to make a measurable difference on the spread of the pandemic. The foreign aid budget in 2021 was £11.1 billion. Not sure what the point is about helping citizens in other countries as well as our own? "

It’s the xenophobic mentality years of a Tory government has instilled. Us vs them. Rather than look at the people spunking millions up the wall it’s easier to blame those pesky foreigners.

There's enough money. The government chose to spend £37 billion pounds on Test n Trace which a cross party report concluded failed to make a measurable difference on the spread of the pandemic. The foreign aid budget in 2021 was £11.1 billion. Not sure what the point is about helping citizens in other countries as well as our own?

It’s the xenophobic mentality years of a Tory government has instilled. Us vs them. Rather than look at the people spunking millions up the wall it’s easier to blame those pesky foreigners. "

I am bemused why instead of pointing the finger at ministers (including the PM) lying outright about giving massive contracts to their pals - foreign aid is blamed.

Inflation is one of those evils we have to put up with, everyone blames everyone else for it but only people who really cause it are us! If you don't buy stuff the need for it drops the price, look at how petrol prices went below a quid during first pandemic as nobody used their cars.

What's annoying me is all these interviews they doing at food banks with people saying they can't afford to heat their homes etc the amount still affording to buy cigarettes, drink booze and have all the sky channels!

It’s the xenophobic mentality years of a Tory government has instilled. Us vs them. Rather than look at the people spunking millions up the wall it’s easier to blame those pesky foreigners.

I am bemused why instead of pointing the finger at ministers (including the PM) lying outright about giving massive contracts to their pals - foreign aid is blamed. "

It’s always the foreigners. Unless we need their oil and then it’s not them foreigners, it’s the other ones.

"Inflation is one of those evils we have to put up with, everyone blames everyone else for it but only people who really cause it are us! If you don't buy stuff the need for it drops the price, look at how petrol prices went below a quid during first pandemic as nobody used their cars.

What's annoying me is all these interviews they doing at food banks with people saying they can't afford to heat their homes etc the amount still affording to buy cigarettes, drink booze and have all the sky channels!"

Please don't. There are families with children using food banks when both parents work. Use of food banks has gone up 123% in five years.

"Between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021, food banks in the Trussell Trust’s UK wide network distributed 2.5 million emergency food parcels to people in crisis, a 33% increase on the previous year. 980,000 of these went to children."

"

only if there is someone to buy it"

Other people with assets? The world is designed around debt (hence the drive for incredibly low interest rates) with assets used as collateral. People with property and shares do very well in tough times.

It got very stressy and political in here didn’t it.

"

Other people with assets? The world is designed around debt (hence the drive for incredibly low interest rates) with assets used as collateral. People with property and shares do very well in tough times."

2008? Property and shares?

Yes, if they buy and hold. However, some people don't have the experience to adopt this strategy.

Many panicked and sold. So not everyone does well?

Sweeping statements galore.

Also, the point around not helping other countries is disgusting, Foreign Aid is a must for an outwardly responsible country. However, racism isn't a Tory manifesto point the last time I checked.

Not everything bad is due to the Tory party.

"It got very stressy and political in here didn’t it."

Sorry, I had to bite

Not at all thankfully but do feel sorry for other people

"

Other people with assets? The world is designed around debt (hence the drive for incredibly low interest rates) with assets used as collateral. People with property and shares do very well in tough times.

Yes, if they buy and hold. However, some people don't have the experience to adopt this strategy.

Also, the point around not helping other countries is disgusting, Foreign Aid is a must for an outwardly responsible country. However, racism isn't a Tory manifesto point the last time I checked.

Not everything bad is due to the Tory party."

They are responsible for the massive division in this country though.

"

"

The reality is any political party is divisive in the current climate.

A Labour party in power wouldn't unite the country. The Liberals wouldn't.

If Boris is the answer what is the question? Haha

We have no plausible alternative for unity of any political persuasion.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"

Not everything bad is due to the Tory party."

Surprise myself and agree with u for once! X

"

We have no plausible alternative for unity of any political persuasion."

That we can agree on. The opposition, currently is awful and unless there’s a massive overhaul in politics then we’re stuck with what we’ve got.

That’s enough seriousness from me today. Boobs, bum, gape

"

That we can agree on. The opposition, currently is awful and unless there’s a massive overhaul in politics then we’re stuck with what we’ve got.

That’s enough seriousness from me today. Boobs, bum, gape "

In that order?

Aylesbury

"

"

I never said that people with wealth/property haven't worked hard or have had it handed to them. It seems to me like you are putting words in my mouth to suit your own agenda.

For a start, I think that owning multiple housing property is morally bankrupt, especially private renting.

I'm sure you do pay ample tax and pay in more than you get out, but the fact is that division between those that earn more and pay more than they get out are in a significant minority than those that do not, and the amount they earn tends to be significantly higher than the national average. You should be paying more.

Clearly you do not subscribe to my view. I hate to say this to you but your view is just as blinkered as mine, this is why discourse is important.

"

That’s enough seriousness from me today. Boobs, bum, gape

In that order? "

Preferably but I’m not fussy

"

I never said that people with wealth/property haven't worked hard or have had it handed to them. It seems to me like you are putting words in my mouth to suit your own agenda.

For a start, I think that owning multiple housing property is morally bankrupt, especially private renting.

I'm sure you do pay ample tax and pay in more than you get out, but the fact is that division between those that earn more and pay more than they get out are in a significant minority than those that do not, and the amount they earn tends to be significantly higher than the national average. You should be paying more.

Clearly you do not subscribe to my view. I hate to say this to you but your view is just as blinkered as mine, this is why discourse is important."

Indeed, I would have a different view if roles were reversed.

I will continue on my road, working hard. Fact is, I am simply driven by never wanting to go back to the lifestyle I grew up in.

No greed, just drive and a good old chip on my shoulder. I will always take my stance because I do think progression is possible.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Clearly you do not subscribe to my view. I hate to say this to you but your view is just as blinkered as mine, this is why discourse is important.

Indeed, I would have a different view if roles were reversed.

I will continue on my road, working hard. Fact is, I am simply driven by never wanting to go back to the lifestyle I grew up in.

No greed, just drive and a good old chip on my shoulder. I will always take my stance because I do think progression is possible."

Good on you

I’ve been struggling since covid hit, I feel it’s going to get much worst in April for me when all the increases start. My rent and council tax are going up plus my gas and electricity is going up 54%. Everything is going up apart from my wages.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 24/03/22 14:39:40]

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Council tax would have gone down if the London mayor hadn’t whalloped his 8% on, but the auto credit from the government means it’s only an increase of £2 a month this year. Electric / gas, yes prices are going up but I’m lucky my monthly payment was nearly halved in January, as I was paying a set amount for 6 years and have a sizeable credit sitting with them.

So it will really only hit me in the food shop, but that is manageable by changing a few things.

By *he_Last_TitanMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Well this gov has done better than that, this is biggest drop in the standard of living ever recorded and the highest tax burden since 1949.

I wasn’t a fan of Corbyn by any stretch but this gov has been a disaster in some many ways.

Still, I’m in an income bracket where these sorts of things have little effect on my lifestyle.

I’ll need to support my daughter, however. It’s her generation that I feel most concerned for.

M

To be honest it's pretty much the same story as everyone else bills and outgoings just increase but wages dont match the increase

I'm just going to have to cut back of the fun stuff and eat less cake

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I'm very glad that we have a low fixed interest rate on our mortgage for the next 4 years.

By *onnie 90Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I heard on the news how the uk inflation is rising at its fastest rate for 30 years as fuel, energy and food costs surged, inflation is the rate at which prices rise, for example, if the price of a bottle of milk is £1 and it rises by 5p, then milk inflation is 5%, they say that the war in ukraine have a direct affect on it, what do you think? That might be one of the reasons for it."

The fuel prices began rising rapidly long before Russia invaded the Ukraine. First it was a fuel shortage (rubbish) then it was the fault of immigrants (rubbish) and now it's the Russia/Ukraine situation which is horrible.

All falsely inflated prices.

By *lairekTV/TS  over a year ago

Manchester

It's pointless relying on the government to solve things.

I honestly believe they are running out of tools to deal with this.

Look after your own community. Support local credit unions and food banks.

We are going to need them.

Problem is the speculaters. Something's I understand like the war pushing up the prices of certain goods. Like wheat and gas. But fuel? One of the people I transported used to work for a oil extractor company, he told me that the reserves are abundant enough for at least 500 years even taking into account for a steady increase. All this green drive is mostly political and govts future proofing, when everyone is driving electric what's going to happen to the electric bills? Always nice to get money from nothing..

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

Chichester

Tbh that’s not a bad idea to bounce out of the UK.if you got in demand skills and no real anchor to hold you here go for it. I would love to get out of this hole of a country . Hoping within 3-5 years I can just bounce out .

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

In 1975 petrol was about 17p per litre... I'll take the 70's

Plus, the music was better

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I heard on the news how the uk inflation is rising at its fastest rate for 30 years as fuel, energy and food costs surged, inflation is the rate at which prices rise, for example, if the price of a bottle of milk is £1 and it rises by 5p, then milk inflation is 5%, they say that the war in ukraine have a direct affect on it, what do you think? That might be one of the reasons for it.

The fuel prices began rising rapidly long before Russia invaded the Ukraine. First it was a fuel shortage (rubbish) then it was the fault of immigrants (rubbish) and now it's the Russia/Ukraine situation which is horrible.

All falsely inflated prices."

Fuel prices are controlled by the producers, they are still cross about lockdowns leaving them with a surplus they struggled to store. Consequently they are keeping production low to keep demand high... and prices with it.

Obviously Russia contributes to the global fossil fuels market, but there is plenty of capacity to cope without them. Unfortunately Opec are choosing to keep the prices high.

Cal

By *itygamesMan  over a year ago

UK

i'm a balloon blower upperer by trade so used to dealing with inflation.

By *nSeeNMan  over a year ago

Z'ha'dum

We are all doomed I tell ye doooomed.

By *ubforspanksMan  over a year ago

Sefton

Well said, some people need to wake up, what with the PPE scandal, Russian cash donations, Xmas parties ,the Nursing Homes having COVID Residents placed in them ect ect

The same as it’ll affect every other person, stuff will get more expensive. I’ll be able to afford less. I’ll have to spend less.

"The same as it’ll affect every other person, stuff will get more expensive. I’ll be able to afford less. I’ll have to spend less. "

For some people, it'll affect them differently. Some people are having to choose between the heating and eating.

I'm going to have to be more careful. I'll only get my nails done once a month instead instead of twice. No take aways. And I've stopped using my tumble dryer.

I'm also being very careful when I'm shopping. And I'm buying more second hand again.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"My mortgage is fixed thank goodness "

Mine too, thank goodness. I renewed mine in December. And my mortgage advisor is brilliantly proactive.

"I heard on the news how the uk inflation is rising at its fastest rate for 30 years as fuel, energy and food costs surged, inflation is the rate at which prices rise, for example, if the price of a bottle of milk is £1 and it rises by 5p, then milk inflation is 5%, they say that the war in ukraine have a direct affect on it, what do you think? That might be one of the reasons for it.

All falsely inflated prices."

Yes, it feels like there is some kind of agenda behind it doesnt it.

All falsely inflated prices.Yes, it feels like there is some kind of agenda behind it doesnt it."

We all moan , yet we all sit here and take it..they work for us.. other countries wouldn't put up with it. And again, people will vote them in again as labour is awful etc, makes me laugh. Tories have always been for themselves

» Add a new message to this topic