FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Potato Famine

Potato Famine

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Colchester

Reports that food banks are shunning donations of potatoes because the poor cannot afford the costs of cooking them. Is this the real sign of food/heating poverty or people changed to fast food tastes like microwave meals .?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

It's not just potatoes it's any root vegetables. People on low incomes are scared of not being able to pay their bills when they hear of fuel bills increasing and the rises in inflation. It's real

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/03/22 11:51:08]

Where are you getting this information from Tom?

I say tomayto you say tommatto

I say potayto you say pottatto

Got to love Keith lemon classics

Potatooooo

Seaforth

"Where are you getting this information from Tom?"

If you google - are people refusing root vegetables from food banks

You will see a number of websites stating this from various parts of the country

By *illynillyCouple  over a year ago

Wiltshire

"Where are you getting this information from Tom?

You will see a number of websites stating this from various parts of the country"

Possibly people assume they take a long time to cook.... people would be better to bulk cook... eg oven is on for something they like...pop some root veg in a tray...cook...blitz for soup or roasted vegetables... most frozen meals take 20 to 30 minutes I imagine...so something else will fit in the oven too... not that any of that makes it right that we worry about our energy bills

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Not sure a bit extreme I would say! Don't cost much to cook them x

I mean, I'm no Nostradamus but I'm guessing the news?

Root vegetables don’t keep well for ages. That could be another reason they are being turned down. Food banks usually only stock pre packed foods with long shelf dates like rice, pasta, tinned food. Not fresh veg or fruit

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"Root vegetables don’t keep well for ages. That could be another reason they are being turned down. Food banks usually only stock pre packed foods with long shelf dates like rice, pasta, tinned food. Not fresh veg or fruit"

Yes I thought this x

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Imagine, people struggling to feed their families also thinking about the cost of cooking.

Gosh.

I'm not sure costs of cooking would be the specific issue, perishable food tends not to be asked for. However there is definitely an issue with costs which is likely to worsen for many people.

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm not sure costs of cooking would be the specific issue, perishable food tends not to be asked for. However there is definitely an issue with costs which is likely to worsen for many people."

I'm in zero need of a food bank and I've changed how I cook to try to bring costs down.

"I'm not sure costs of cooking would be the specific issue, perishable food tends not to be asked for. However there is definitely an issue with costs which is likely to worsen for many people.

I'm in zero need of a food bank and I've changed how I cook to try to bring costs down."

That proves the point. This mild weather/early spring helps to a degree but those who can influence need to be thinking ahead to help people going forward.

My local food bank (Trussell Trust who have lots of others) have always said no perishable food stuffs. Some people may not have an oven or a microwave or even a hob and they're limited with how they can cook things.

You will see a number of websites stating this from various parts of the country

Possibly people assume they take a long time to cook.... people would be better to bulk cook... eg oven is on for something they like...pop some root veg in a tray...cook...blitz for soup or roasted vegetables... most frozen meals take 20 to 30 minutes I imagine...so something else will fit in the oven too... not that any of that makes it right that we worry about our energy bills "

Turning the oven on (if they have an oven) may not be something some can afford anymore. A frozen meal is a luxury item, surely?

I’m sure they’ve always refused fresh food. I tried to donate potatoes a few years ago and they said I could only donate smash.

I heard this on the Radio 4 Today Programme this morning.

"I'm not sure costs of cooking would be the specific issue, perishable food tends not to be asked for. However there is definitely an issue with costs which is likely to worsen for many people.

I'm in zero need of a food bank and I've changed how I cook to try to bring costs down."

Even i have! No more roasting whole celariac for instance or 2.5 hour baked rice pudding

Gas and electricity prices have doubled. If you're already struggling to budget the cost of 20 minutes boiling a swede or 3 minutes boiling a kettle could make the difference.

Seaforth

Apparently food banks prefer tinned food be it veg or fruit. It didn't say that fresh fruit fruit and veg would be rejected by them but not encouraged, although this depends on the organisation running it. Apparently Xmas pudding or anything cooked with alcohol is left and not offered according to one website

Manchester (she/her)

I'm in zero need of a food bank and I've changed how I cook to try to bring costs down.

Even i have! No more roasting whole celariac for instance or 2.5 hour baked rice pudding "

My slow cooker has never been so well used

"I’m sure they’ve always refused fresh food. I tried to donate potatoes a few years ago and they said I could only donate smash. "

So I volunteered in food banks and most don't take fresh food from members of the public.

However we used to get deliveries from the local supermarkets of fresh food like salad, fruit, vegetables and potatoes that are still perfectly edible but they can no longer sell due to expiry dates.

Separately, and slightly off topic, the fact we need food banks in the 21st century is shameful.

"I’m sure they’ve always refused fresh food. I tried to donate potatoes a few years ago and they said I could only donate smash.

So I volunteered in food banks and most don't take fresh food from members of the public.

However we used to get deliveries from the local supermarkets of fresh food like salad, fruit, vegetables and potatoes that are still perfectly edible but they can no longer sell due to expiry dates. "

I didn’t know that.

I’d imagine donations are down massively due to everything rising in cost. People who usually donate a few bits with their weekly shop are probably donating less and it’s a viscous circle.

We usually donate Easter Eggs but this year I think we’ll donate actual food as it will be needed a lot more.

"I’m sure they’ve always refused fresh food. I tried to donate potatoes a few years ago and they said I could only donate smash.

However we used to get deliveries from the local supermarkets of fresh food like salad, fruit, vegetables and potatoes that are still perfectly edible but they can no longer sell due to expiry dates.

I didn’t know that.

I’d imagine donations are down massively due to everything rising in cost. People who usually donate a few bits with their weekly shop are probably donating less and it’s a viscous circle.

We usually donate Easter Eggs but this year I think we’ll donate actual food as it will be needed a lot more."

Actually they are probably not down because something the British public are amazing at is even if they don't have much themselves they will still try and help others. Normally when times are really tough donations actually go up. In relation to the Easter eggs that's a lovely idea but often they are donated by schools and businesses so I think if you feel you would like to donate more basic food items would definitely be appreciated.

Even i have! No more roasting whole celariac for instance or 2.5 hour baked rice pudding

My slow cooker has never been so well used "

My sister persuaded me to give mine to charity two weeks ago.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

[Removed by poster at 23/03/22 14:20:55]

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Get a microwave with a convection fan oven function. Also a microwave steamer. Food cooks quicker, cheaper and just the same as using a more expensive (in use) conventional oven. I never have the need to cook instant meals as a result.

I didn’t know that.

We usually donate Easter Eggs but this year I think we’ll donate actual food as it will be needed a lot more.

Actually they are probably not down because something the British public are amazing at is even if they don't have much themselves they will still try and help others. Normally when times are really tough donations actually go up. In relation to the Easter eggs that's a lovely idea but often they are donated by schools and businesses so I think if you feel you would like to donate more basic food items would definitely be appreciated. "

We always donate food when we can but usually do a few Easter eggs and advent calendars on top just so the kids don’t go without.

If donations usually go up we’ll just continue to do that.

By *illynillyCouple  over a year ago

Wiltshire

Possibly people assume they take a long time to cook.... people would be better to bulk cook... eg oven is on for something they like...pop some root veg in a tray...cook...blitz for soup or roasted vegetables... most frozen meals take 20 to 30 minutes I imagine...so something else will fit in the oven too... not that any of that makes it right that we worry about our energy bills

Turning the oven on (if they have an oven) may not be something some can afford anymore. A frozen meal is a luxury item, surely? "

No idea if a frozen meal is considered luxury or not... I know cooking from scratch is a lot more expensive than some frozen meals... and yes I was presuming people have a cooker...

Turning the oven on (if they have an oven) may not be something some can afford anymore. A frozen meal is a luxury item, surely?

No idea if a frozen meal is considered luxury or not... I know cooking from scratch is a lot more expensive than some frozen meals... and yes I was presuming people have a cooker... "

I agree frozen food is almost always cheaper than fresh.

My experience has always been that the majority of people that use a food banks do have a cooker or a least a microwave the problem is they are normally almost always on prepayment metres so don't always have the electric to turn them on. Whether they have cooking facilities is something they are asked and the types of food they are given depends on the answer.

I didn’t know that.

Actually they are probably not down because something the British public are amazing at is even if they don't have much themselves they will still try and help others. Normally when times are really tough donations actually go up. In relation to the Easter eggs that's a lovely idea but often they are donated by schools and businesses so I think if you feel you would like to donate more basic food items would definitely be appreciated.

We always donate food when we can but usually do a few Easter eggs and advent calendars on top just so the kids don’t go without.

If donations usually go up we’ll just continue to do that."

Sounds good. Most local food banks will have a Facebook page and they normally list the foods they are the shortest of so might be worth having a look.

Manchester (she/her)

My slow cooker has never been so well used

My sister persuaded me to give mine to charity two weeks ago. "

Oh no

I'm going to buy myself an Instant Pot when a particular project is done, I think. For functions other than the slow cooker. Mine is small, no frills, but has paid back dividends on the £10 I paid for it over 10 years ago.

Manchester (she/her)

"Separately, and slightly off topic, the fact we need food banks in the 21st century is shameful."

Yup

I didn’t know that.

If donations usually go up we’ll just continue to do that.

Sounds good. Most local food banks will have a Facebook page and they normally list the foods they are the shortest of so might be worth having a look. "

Will do

Colchester

It's all over the news

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

It's all over the news "

All over the stews?

Colchester

Slice them thin and cook in seconds ...

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

The foodbank donation points have been empty in 3 stores near me.

By *lynJMan  over a year ago

Morden/Faversham

"My local food bank (Trussell Trust who have lots of others) have always said no perishable food stuffs. Some people may not have an oven or a microwave or even a hob and they're limited with how they can cook things. "

There's also the problem of storing the perisables at the food bank. At lot of food banks don't open 7 days a week and the last thing you want is a load of rotting veg.

There are other organisations that will take surplus fresh food and use it to make meals they can hand out

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

Unless it kills over a million people and displaces a million more don't call it a potato famine.

Colchester

David Cameraman has been helping at a foodbank and seen transporting stuff go Poland. Is he up to his old trick?

What's going on here guys?

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"David Cameraman has been helping at a foodbank and seen transporting stuff go Poland. Is he up to his old trick?

What's going on here guys?"

A cynical publicity stunt Tom, considering he is the reason why food banks are so prevalent in this country.

Colchester

"David Cameraman has been helping at a foodbank and seen transporting stuff go Poland. Is he up to his old trick?

What's going on here guys?

A cynical publicity stunt Tom, considering he is the reason why food banks are so prevalent in this country."

Did he do this alone or are there more imposters out there ?

Colchester

So this could be classed as a potato famine?.

"So this could be classed as a potato famine?."

Please don’t tom just don’t

"It's not just potatoes it's any root vegetables. People on low incomes are scared of not being able to pay their bills when they hear of fuel bills increasing and the rises in inflation. It's real"

Would the answer be for the well off who donate to top up the “basket” with a fuel card so that the poor can afford to eat healthily?

I mean, I'm no Nostradamus but I'm guessing the news? "

A specific area or all over? Are we saying this is NOT all over the news?

"Imagine, people struggling to feed their families also thinking about the cost of cooking.

Gosh."

Indeed. We are advanced enough as a nation to provide basic food, heat and shelter. We just choose to adopt policies that don’t. It is quite shameful really.

"It's not just potatoes it's any root vegetables. People on low incomes are scared of not being able to pay their bills when they hear of fuel bills increasing and the rises in inflation. It's real

Would the answer be for the well off who donate to top up the “basket” with a fuel card so that the poor can afford to eat healthily? "

I'd say it wasn't up to the rich to feed the poor.

I think the government could do a few things. Raise minimum wage perhaps. Ban zero hour contracts. I don't want to live in a world where "the working poor" is a phrase. Nor "flexible labour market" for that matter.

By *ark ph0enixWoman  over a year ago

stockton

Turning the oven on (if they have an oven) may not be something some can afford anymore. A frozen meal is a luxury item, surely? "

Not if you are only cooking for one. The ingredients and cooking process often cost more than ready meals. Fit example many supermarkets offer 3 different meals for a fiver.

I'd like to see you buy ingredients and cook 3 different evening meals for a fiver.

Home cooked food is now sadly the luxury if you are alone as many of the population is.

Or single parents? If you have kids and would occasionally like to eat something other than fish fingers and nuggets. Then I guess its a luxury of sorts to get a microwave meal. Wowee what a treat..

By *hrobbermanMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Reports that food banks are shunning donations of potatoes because the poor cannot afford the costs of cooking them. Is this the real sign of food/heating poverty or people changed to fast food tastes like microwave meals .? "

You can microwave a potato.

If you have a freezer and you batch cook, it's surprising how little a meal can cost. If you don't, maybe there's someone you can get together with and take turns to cook a meal to share. I use my microwave to steam cook veggies in 5 minutes and cook 2 or 3 meals in the oven in one go to freeze when I can. I'm also looking at what shopping I do on impulse. Cutting down on that, takeaways and such means there's a little more money there for the increasing essentials.

As for food banks, there's always the option of doing a one off cash/bacs donation or setting up a monthly standing order for what you can afford.

Home

The British government have experience at creating potato famines they have done it before in history.

"The British government have experience at creating potato famines they have done it before in history. "

Yes of course they brought the blight.

https://youtu.be/8SNaXeBbJv0

"Reports that food banks are shunning donations of potatoes because the poor cannot afford the costs of cooking them. Is this the real sign of food/heating poverty or people changed to fast food tastes like microwave meals .?

You can microwave a potato.

"

Or chop them up small.

"It's not just potatoes it's any root vegetables. People on low incomes are scared of not being able to pay their bills when they hear of fuel bills increasing and the rises in inflation. It's real

Would the answer be for the well off who donate to top up the “basket” with a fuel card so that the poor can afford to eat healthily?

I think the government could do a few things. Raise minimum wage perhaps. Ban zero hour contracts. I don't want to live in a world where "the working poor" is a phrase. Nor "flexible labour market" for that matter."

Well whilst we all hold our breath for the government to sort it all out then what do we do? Are you suggesting we stop donating?

Home

"The British government have experience at creating potato famines they have done it before in history.

https://youtu.be/8SNaXeBbJv0"

there was loads of food in ireland during the famine but the British government transported it out of Ireland and left us starve. We teach real world history you don't.

[Removed by poster at 24/03/22 23:52:42]

[Removed by poster at 24/03/22 23:52:39]

Home

"The British government have experience at creating potato famines they have done it before in history.

https://youtu.be/8SNaXeBbJv0there was loads of food in ireland during the famine but the British government transported it out of Ireland and left us starve. We teach real world history you don't.

Actually I did know that, I was being flippant.

Because I really don't care about it. Now as we mention famine, are you supporting sancrions and embargoes against Russia? "

of course I am and we know the British don't care about the famine because its a huge blot on your history that you tried to commit genocide against the Irish people and the whole world knows it that's why everyone loves the Irish.

I think the government could do a few things. Raise minimum wage perhaps. Ban zero hour contracts. I don't want to live in a world where "the working poor" is a phrase. Nor "flexible labour market" for that matter.

Well whilst we all hold our breath for the government to sort it all out then what do we do? Are you suggesting we stop donating? "

God, no. We're on the same page here. I was just hoping for a better world.

https://youtu.be/8SNaXeBbJv0there was loads of food in ireland during the famine but the British government transported it out of Ireland and left us starve. We teach real world history you don't. "

I've just realised something.

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists.

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman  over a year ago

lancashire

"Root vegetables don’t keep well for ages. That could be another reason they are being turned down. Food banks usually only stock pre packed foods with long shelf dates like rice, pasta, tinned food. Not fresh veg or fruit"

Kept in the fridge they last longer and carrots if you keep them in water in the fridge they do last longer too...plus you can cook in a microwave most of the veg'..

https://youtu.be/8SNaXeBbJv0there was loads of food in ireland during the famine but the British government transported it out of Ireland and left us starve. We teach real world history you don't.

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists. "

Have you ever met any?

Have you ever met any?"

Yes.

Home

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists. "

oh god love us you really don't like it when you are told the real history of the British empire and what they were really like.

Have you ever met any?

Yes. "

Never met a Marxist myself. What was he/she/they like?

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists. oh god love us you really don't like it when you are told the real history of the British empire and what they were really like. "

Bwaahhhhh!!!

Whats the real history of the British Empire then?

My ancestors killed hundreds of Irish by the way and some distant family still deny it to this day thats my family history what do you think of them then?

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Never met a Marxist myself. What was he/she/they like?"

Depends on the Marxist some of them are the nicest people I have ever met.

Some are whiny annoying brats

Then theres probably the fantasy version righties have in their head.

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists. oh god love us you really don't like it when you are told the real history of the British empire and what they were really like. "

This is last time I'm dignifying you with a response.

You assume a few things about me, starting with my nationality.

I'm neither British or commonwealth by birth or heritage.

Ireland had a famine once... Well get over it.

Ireland got invaded, well that's tragic.

Next you'll be harping on about william of orange being nasty or black and tans or something.

Or gloating in a thread about British people facing hardships.

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Then theres probably the fantasy version righties have in their head."

Do they wear badges? How do we know they're Marxist? Unless they come right out and tell you they believe the machinery for production should belong to the workers. I can't see how that would come up in conversation.

Home

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists. oh god love us you really don't like it when you are told the real history of the British empire and what they were really like.

Bwaahhhhh!!!

My ancestors killed hundreds of Irish by the way and some distant family still deny it to this day thats my family history what do you think of them then?"

not much and for you to come on here and boast its just sad. I am friends and related to many British people and none of them would ever make a statement like that and I wont teach you about the British empire because you won't believe me.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Do they wear badges? How do we know they're Marxist? Unless they come right out and tell you they believe the machinery for production should belong to the workers. I can't see how that would come up in conversation."

I was about to ask the same question. Maybe Marxists are like vegan people, in that they tell you about their political perspective before they do anything else

*Ducks for cover from the incoming tofu*

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Do they wear badges? How do we know they're Marxist? Unless they come right out and tell you they believe the machinery for production should belong to the workers. I can't see how that would come up in conversation."

Oh they’ve outright stated that to me was just chatting about the state of the world like I said a lot are the nicest people I’ve ever met.Don’t believe in their philosophy's but they were accepting of mine so who cares?

Not so nice ones lets just say you don’t want to know how but I was given a warning when boss man realised he had to deal with them “don’t use your real name it will rile them up”.That lot was much closer to the righty fantasy than the other.

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Never met a Marxist myself. What was he/she/they like?"

Boring

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Do they wear badges? How do we know they're Marxist? Unless they come right out and tell you they believe the machinery for production should belong to the workers. I can't see how that would come up in conversation.

Oh they’ve outright stated that to me was just chatting about the state of the world like I said a lot are the nicest people I’ve ever met.Don’t believe in their philosophy's but they were accepting of mine so who cares?

Not so nice ones lets just say you don’t want to know how but I was given a warning when boss man realised he had to deal with them “don’t use your real name it will rile them up”.That lot was much closer to the righty fantasy than the other."

Doesn't sound much fun. I'm a screaming leftie too, but there are limits. Most recent episode of Peaky Blinders appeared to be highlighting the similarities between extreme left and extreme right. I just want a fairer work meself.

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Boring"

Ha. I'll be sure to Steer clear of them then.

I don't talk with bigots or facists or extreme marxists. oh god love us you really don't like it when you are told the real history of the British empire and what they were really like.

Bwaahhhhh!!!

My ancestors killed hundreds of Irish by the way and some distant family still deny it to this day thats my family history what do you think of them then?not much and for you to come on here and boast its just sad. I am friends and related to many British people and none of them would ever make a statement like that and I wont teach you about the British empire because you won't believe me. "

How am I boasting ?I’m asking for your opinion on the side of my family that denies what my ancestors did do you think their political beliefs should be validated?

Had several Irish people say they should have killed more of my ancestors thats boasting if anything.

Why wouldn’t I believe you about the British Empire,I’m confused?

Home

Bwaahhhhh!!!

My ancestors killed hundreds of Irish by the way and some distant family still deny it to this day thats my family history what do you think of them then?not much and for you to come on here and boast its just sad. I am friends and related to many British people and none of them would ever make a statement like that and I wont teach you about the British empire because you won't believe me.

How am I boasting ?I’m asking for your opinion on the side of my family that denies what my ancestors did do you think their political beliefs should be validated?

Had several Irish people say they should have killed more of my ancestors thats boasting if anything.

Why wouldn’t I believe you about the British Empire,I’m confused?"

your history teaches differently from mine we were on the receiving end of the British empire you weren't and i dont condone boasting about killing people no matter who it is.

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Not so nice ones lets just say you don’t want to know how but I was given a warning when boss man realised he had to deal with them “don’t use your real name it will rile them up”.That lot was much closer to the righty fantasy than the other.

Doesn't sound much fun. I'm a screaming leftie too, but there are limits. Most recent episode of Peaky Blinders appeared to be highlighting the similarities between extreme left and extreme right. I just want a fairer work meself."

First guys absolutely wanted that just a better world.I disagree with nearly all lefties but honestly their the nicest people I’ve ever met.

Second group was whete the war crime apology started to come about,Banging on about revolution and the like.

A lot of similarity with extreme right I know Shinner Kippers which are some weird fusion of both.Especially being plain apologists for tyranny

Have you ever met any?

Yes.

Doesn't sound much fun. I'm a screaming leftie too, but there are limits. Most recent episode of Peaky Blinders appeared to be highlighting the similarities between extreme left and extreme right. I just want a fairer work meself.

First guys absolutely wanted that just a better world.I disagree with nearly all lefties but honestly their the nicest people I’ve ever met.

Second group was whete the war crime apology started to come about,Banging on about revolution and the like.

A lot of similarity with extreme right I know Shinner Kippers which are some weird fusion of both.Especially being plain apologists for tyranny"

I'm glad we can have an actual conversation. Fair play to you.

Bwaahhhhh!!!

My ancestors killed hundreds of Irish by the way and some distant family still deny it to this day thats my family history what do you think of them then?not much and for you to come on here and boast its just sad. I am friends and related to many British people and none of them would ever make a statement like that and I wont teach you about the British empire because you won't believe me.

Why wouldn’t I believe you about the British Empire,I’m confused?your history teaches differently from mine we were on the receiving end of the British empire you weren't and i dont condone boasting about killing people no matter who it is. "

And what is my history?

How does it differ from yours?

Do you know what we say of the Irish?

Home

Bwaahhhhh!!!

Why wouldn’t I believe you about the British Empire,I’m confused?your history teaches differently from mine we were on the receiving end of the British empire you weren't and i dont condone boasting about killing people no matter who it is.

And what is my history?

"

no Idea what you are though about in school about the Irish. 800 year of history told from 2 different perspectives one the invaders and other the invaded.

Bwaahhhhh!!!

Why wouldn’t I believe you about the British Empire,I’m confused?your history teaches differently from mine we were on the receiving end of the British empire you weren't and i dont condone boasting about killing people no matter who it is.

And what is my history?

no Idea what you are though about in school about the Irish. 800 year of history told from 2 different perspectives one the invaders and other the invaded. "

The best way to teach history, one agrees people often change sides or never have one especially when we’re talking about 8 centuries

But who were the invaders and the invaded at least initially?

The Irish were an afterthought in school the only time you were ever mentioned was the home rulers gaining independence not that pathetic rising.

Also the first “invasion” if you can call it that.

Then theres family history which portrays mass murderers and tyrants.

I always think of some irish as like bullies who are still crying about a bigger bully giving them a slap or two.

Was St Patrick not caught and enslavd by irish raiders, raiding roman Britain as a child?

Home

Bwaahhhhh!!!

And what is my history?

no Idea what you are though about in school about the Irish. 800 year of history told from 2 different perspectives one the invaders and other the invaded.

The best way to teach history, one agrees people often change sides or never have one especially when we’re talking about 8 centuries

The Irish were an afterthought in school the only time you were ever mentioned was the home rulers gaining independence not that pathetic rising.

Then theres family history which portrays mass murderers and tyrants."

see that's why you don't understand when we talk about the famine you weren't thought about the real reason for the famine we were that is one of the major reasons we hate the British empire and everything it stood for. Relation between our 2 nations are in a good place now but it took a long time to get there.

Has anyone got any good potatoe recipes?

Bwaahhhhh!!!

And what is my history?

Then theres family history which portrays mass murderers and tyrants.see that's why you don't understand when we talk about the famine you weren't thought about the real reason for the famine we were that is one of the major reasons we hate the British empire and everything it stood for. Relation between our 2 nations are in a good place now but it took a long time to get there. "

The real reason you mean the blight combined with the corn laws banning all imports and the inaction of the british government in doing literally anything to prevent a worsening situation?The crime against humanity one?.The one that monster Trevelyan was involved in?

Or is this a different famine you talk about cause the one I’m talking about wasn’t the Empire it was just the plain old UK.

"Has anyone got any good potatoe recipes? "

Can do a jacket potato if that interests you?

Or wedges even,I do sprinkle the pepper too heavy though.

Home

"Has anyone got any good potatoe recipes?

Or wedges even,I do sprinkle the pepper too heavy though. "

Taytos cheese and onion

I don't know why we are putting Ukrainians up in nice hotels in Cornwall when we can't even afford to heat and feed our own citizens.

"I don't know why we are putting Ukrainians up in nice hotels in Cornwall when we can't even afford to heat and feed our own citizens."

Funilly enough there seems to be inequity with the refugees from Ukraine, ethnic romany gypsies ain't being helped very much.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Typically people on prepayment energy supplies are paying more for energy than the rest of us, which is frightening, especially when it has to be paid for before use.

I've donated contained food, in tins, packets etc, which may be easier for others, on water meters, not needing to wash and cook it, with higher energy needs.

The shameless budget that gave nothing to the poorer really this week, should have helped with energy costs.

Food and other costs will rocket this year and I feel for those who will struggle more.

Or wedges even,I do sprinkle the pepper too heavy though. "

I'm always up for good wedge recipes.

I mix olive oil, chilli sauce, chilli powder, crushed garlic in a big bowl then stir the wedges around in it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"I don't know why we are putting Ukrainians up in nice hotels in Cornwall when we can't even afford to heat and feed our own citizens."

It doesn't need to be either/or, we're a very wealthy country. Both deserve help and Ukrainians are people we're fortunate to not have had their experience.

I mix olive oil, chilli sauce, chilli powder, crushed garlic in a big bowl then stir the wedges around in it.

"

Oh that sounds divine I just slap the stuff together and hope for the best.

"I don't know why we are putting Ukrainians up in nice hotels in Cornwall when we can't even afford to heat and feed our own citizens.

It doesn't need to be either/or, we're a very wealthy country. Both deserve help and Ukrainians are people we're fortunate to not have had their experience. "

Wait until the April bills kick in and even the lower middle classes will be skipping meals.

"

What i really want when ever I'm doing it then forget after is one of those big alloy jugs the kinda rounded ones the army cooks used to use. Put the oil in, the wedges and shake it, but in a horizontal circular motion for a good even coating then pour them out on the tray.

What i really want when ever I'm doing it then forget after is one of those big alloy jugs the kinda rounded ones the army cooks used to use. Put the oil in, the wedges and shake it, but in a horizontal circular motion for a good even coating then pour them out on the tray. "

It annoys me that I know exactly what you mean and that I used to have one similar to that.Didn’t occur to me to use it for wedges though.

What i really want when ever I'm doing it then forget after is one of those big alloy jugs the kinda rounded ones the army cooks used to use. Put the oil in, the wedges and shake it, but in a horizontal circular motion for a good even coating then pour them out on the tray.

It annoys me that I know exactly what you mean and that I used to have one similar to that.Didn’t occur to me to use it for wedges though."

In Battalion they did this thing where they'd put oil, herbs etc in and diced up potatoes and use the same technique to mass produce roasties.

This was of course pre sodexo.

"I don't know why we are putting Ukrainians up in nice hotels in Cornwall when we can't even afford to heat and feed our own citizens.

It doesn't need to be either/or, we're a very wealthy country. Both deserve help and Ukrainians are people we're fortunate to not have had their experience. Wait until the April bills kick in and even the lower middle classes will be skipping meals. "

What do you mean ?,Doubt the bills are going to rise that much its just the usual fear porn.

Ukraine is suffering a literal famine at the minute imagine anything here would be better than there.

It annoys me that I know exactly what you mean and that I used to have one similar to that.Didn’t occur to me to use it for wedges though.

In Battalion they did this thing where they'd put oil, herbs etc in and diced up potatoes and use the same technique to mass produce roasties.

This was of course pre sodexo. "

Was it good?,Sounds like a right treat !!

Never had UK army food so wouldn’t know.

This was of course pre sodexo.

Was it good?,Sounds like a right treat !!

Never had UK army food so wouldn’t know."

That was, it depended on unit and where to be honest, it was gopping in the big training establishments a lot of the time.

I also not in need of a food bank, but I have just bought a new cooker so that I have an oven that cooks effectively & efficiently when the prices shoot up. My last oven was taking nearly double the time it said on the packet of whatever I was cooking.

» Add a new message to this topic