FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gay Pride.

Gay Pride.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *urious.couple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

This weekend is Pride in Manchester. My sister and I were planning on taking our children to the parade. Just for a bit of context, this is in the middle of the day, through the centre of town, so lots of drag queens, dancers, music, fancy dress, but no rudeness.

My brother in law has banned his son from attending as he says he is too young and is worried about the effect it will have on him. He is very concerned his son will grow up gay.

My sister and I are furious at this display of homophobia, close mindedness and ignorance. But what really gets me is the hypocrisy.

Two out of three of his best friends are gay males. He shared a house with one, shared a house with a lesbian, and his wife is bisexual, having had long term girlfriends!!!

I'm so mad. . . . .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A big thank you from someone who has appeared in the Manc Pride parade several times..

It's always so good to hear somebody actually say something positive and be supportive.

I do hope that you can influence your bro in law to look at things openly - minds are actually changing slowly and accepting equality as a principle. Yes, some kids do grow up to be gay - but nobody "changed" them - that just who they are, and they deserve to be loved just the same.

Thanks also to anybody else who supports Pride!

My 21yr old son is gay and i am very proud of him. You can-not stop someone from being gay and by NOT taking him to a Gay Pride parade is not going to stop him either if that's what he wants in life. I knew my son was going down that road many years ago, he was always surrounded by girl friends and he even tried going out with one but it wasn't to be. I have had wonderful times at Gay prides in the past and i think that sometimes they are the best people on this earth to chat too.

My son is the only one that knows in my family that i am on this site, and as long as Pork keeps me safe then he is happy for me.....

"A big thank you from someone who has appeared in the Manc Pride parade several times..

It's always so good to hear somebody actually say something positive and be supportive.

I do hope that you can influence your bro in law to look at things openly - minds are actually changing slowly and accepting equality as a principle. Yes, some kids do grow up to be gay - but nobody "changed" them - that just who they are, and they deserve to be loved just the same.

Thanks also to anybody else who supports Pride!"

Well said ....

"

Well said .... "

Thank you !!!

Manchester

Just cant get my head round how he is ok for his son to live in the same house as gay people, but not go to pride! Weird.

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

"Just cant get my head round how he is ok for his son to live in the same house as gay people, but not go to pride! Weird. "
Think you may have mis-read the OP's post.

Manchester

I am the original poster!

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

The growing up gay from watching a parade is ludicrous....

However, I kinda get that maybe not wanting his boy to watch the parade if it will generate questions he maybe not want to answer at this point in his son's development ( if that makes sense ) How old is the young lad.

Why is it homophobic

I know it would be difficult to go though why are those 2 men or 2 women kissing but hes going to find out 1 day, I think manchester pride parade is for all the family its so nice and very one so friendly. Plus this year parade is dedicated to a great man, MR Alan turing, who created the modern computer and 60 years got prosecuted for being gay, And had so much torture against him, getting his name shamed and going though chemical castrastion just because he was gay.

Wow do attitudes like this still exist? Or have I found myself timewarp.

Before this had your sister no idea she'd married an idiot?

I realise that this probably wasn't the most constructive post I've ever made but seriously, wtf...

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

a friend of mine and her band 'never the bride' are playing there,a bloody good band they are too!,but i already booked up for chameleons or i would have gone to see them play again.

They teach kids about gay and lesbians in sexs education now days, my daughter had it this year and she's 11

Its upto people how they bring their kids up, if you dont want them learning about sex and gay relationships thats their choice but you really cant shealter them from it, its all around us and personally id sooner sit them down and give them the real facts on gay relationships then let them pick up play ground gossip

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I was brought up around horses an most of the riders my mum employed were gay.. So I was taught that everyone is different.. My mum would let me go to gay clubs as she thought I was safer in that type of enviroment and believe me that opened up my eyes to the gay scence..

We missed Leicester's bash this year but we'll be at the next one, drumming up recruits at the beertent probably

Have a good one if ya go

Wolf

"Wow do attitudes like this still exist? Or have I found myself timewarp.

Before this had your sister no idea she'd married an idiot?

I realise that this probably wasn't the most constructive post I've ever made but seriously, wtf..."

Yes they do still exist and as one of my oldest friends, who is gay, will tell you, they are very prevalent.

Personally I applaud the courage of those who take part in Gay Pride marches just as I actively supported the Gay Liberation Front marches in the 70s. Nothing changes unless people make a noise sadly and even then things change exasperatingly slowly.

It scares me that people still think like this. I'm in Manchester now with my kids ready for the parade. We go every year - my youngest was 8 months old at his first one. At least I know that my kids will grow up open minded and knowing that I will love them no matter what lifestyle they choose to lead.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I don't see ignorance.... I see a dad with a young son, not sure of the young lads age... who doesn't want his son to grow up gay or would prefer not to...

if the dad has lived with gay guys & I am sure he has heard that it is not always easy and maybe is preferring him not to have that angst

I could be wrong.... and he could be a bigot of the worst kind... but I am not sure.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

but not allowing him from seeing a parade ain't going to stop his sexuality

Would it be un pc or sexist to have a straight pride?

I'm not poking fun, I am asking a sincere question.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"but not allowing him from seeing a parade ain't going to stop his sexuality"

spot on, the guy could have what he thinks are valid reasons for not wanting his son to watch the parade..

he is the parent after all..

have a word with him, maybe address his issue with it..

"Would it be un pc or sexist to have a straight pride?

I'm not poking fun, I am asking a sincere question."

Take it you are unaware of Pride's political history?

There was a Pride march in Uganda this year where homosexuality is punishable by death.

Quite simply there is no need for a straight pride.

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

"Wow do attitudes like this still exist?"

Sadly, they do

And because they do, maybe, just maybe, the father is being over protective towards his son.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"Would it be un pc or sexist to have a straight pride?

I'm not poking fun, I am asking a sincere question."

It wouldn't be un pc so much as it would be pointless.

Gay pride arose as a reaction to the fact that society gave (and often still gives) the message that being gay is wrong. No one is oppressing people for being straight so we hardly need a celebration of straightness to try and redress the balance.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

As you are taking your children is it likely that they will tell their cousin about it anyway.

All of the children in my life have grown up around gay men and women. Two of my nephews would enjoy Pride but the other would find it too busy and noisy. It may be possible that your brother in law knows his son doesn't do well in crowds.

Challenge homophobia, in all it's forms, but support caring parenting if that is what is going on.

By straight I meant man and woman obviously, but seeing as this is a swinging site and most tastes are catered for and some diverse than others, should they/we be called straight as in straight laced?

Manchester

Updates. . . . The dads concerns are. . . And these are his actual words

'I don't want them to plant the seed of gayness in him'

'I know what drag queens are like. They'll pick on him.'

The child is three. Why would a grown man pick on a toddler? And why does he think the child's mother and aunt allow it to happen!!!

"This weekend is Pride in Manchester. My sister and I were planning on taking our children to the parade. Just for a bit of context, this is in the middle of the day, through the centre of town, so lots of drag queens, dancers, music, fancy dress, but no rudeness.

My brother in law has banned his son from attending as he says he is too young and is worried about the effect it will have on him. He is very concerned his son will grow up gay.

My sister and I are furious at this display of homophobia, close mindedness and ignorance. But what really gets me is the hypocrisy.

Two out of three of his best friends are gay males. He shared a house with one, shared a house with a lesbian, and his wife is bisexual, having had long term girlfriends!!!

I'm so mad. . . . . "

He sounds very similar to one of my exes!!

I went to London Pride this year with a 7 year old and he absolutely loved it. We stood for nearly 2 hours watching the parade. We also went to Leeds Pride to see my mate who performs in a drag act.

It amuses me when people say they don't want their kids to grow up gay. They clearly mean they don't want their kids to BE gay (as they will experience prejudice etc). People don't 'grow up' gay/ bi/ tv/ poly/ straight. They just are.

Hope you have a brilliant time anyway!!! x

"Updates. . . . The dads concerns are. . . And these are his actual words

The child is three. Why would a grown man pick on a toddler? And why does he think the child's mother and aunt allow it to happen!!!"

You've got to laugh... that's just insane! Why the hell would a drag queen pick on a 3 year old?! Feel sorry for your sister being married to him. x

"Updates. . . . The dads concerns are. . . And these are his actual words

The child is three. Why would a grown man pick on a toddler? And why does he think the child's mother and aunt allow it to happen!!!"

What an idiot! Your concerns are understandable. It does make me wonder about some folk. Does he think his wife was shown something as a toddler that made her fancy women too?

By *iggamanMan  over a year ago

London

well I wouldn't want my kids to go as i wouldn't be comfortable with it that simple (nothing more nothing less) or the questions that would come afterwards or god help me if they wanna act out something they've seen ie a dance or something else, or evan wanna dress in drag afterwards like the men they've just seen etc..... i personally i don't wanna open up that can of worms untill i have to

is that really that bad???

"well I wouldn't want my kids to go as i wouldn't be comfortable with it that simple (nothing more nothing less) or the questions that would come afterwards or god help me if they wanna act out something they've seen ie a dance or something else, or evan wanna dress in drag afterwards like the men they've just seen etc..... i personally i don't wanna open up that can of worms untill i have to

is that really that bad???"

It's honest of you but I'd suggest you think again. Dressing up is just that. Questions are good - I worry about the children with no curiosity whatsoever.

Manchester

So if your son wants to dress up as,a dinosaur, a pirate, a monster, a skeleton, a firefighter, a policeman, a cowboy, buzz lightyear or Santa, that would all be ok. But if he wants to dress as a pantomime dame you'd have issues?!?!?!?

Weird.

By *attman23Man  over a year ago

Wath

Going to gay pride is not going to make you children grow up gay but rather grow up with a greater understanding of the gay lifestyle and be more understanding of it in the future.

Is that really so bad?

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"well I wouldn't want my kids to go as i wouldn't be comfortable with it that simple (nothing more nothing less) or the questions that would come afterwards or god help me if they wanna act out something they've seen ie a dance or something else, or evan wanna dress in drag afterwards like the men they've just seen etc..... i personally i don't wanna open up that can of worms untill i have to

How people bring up their children is completely up to them. However, dressing in drag does not make people gay, bi, asexual, pansexual, metrosexual, or poly. They are already that and no amount of repression will hide it, and no amount of Gay pride events will make it happen.

Such a shame people still think that people are 'turned' gay by other gays. I would have thought in the 21st century that sort of thinking would have died out.

How people bring up their children is completely up to them. However, dressing in drag does not make people gay, bi, asexual, pansexual, metrosexual, or poly. They are already that and no amount of repression will hide it, and no amount of Gay pride events will make it happen.

Such a shame people still think that people are 'turned' gay by other gays. I would have thought in the 21st century that sort of thinking would have died out."

London

"So if your son wants to dress up as,a dinosaur, a pirate, a monster, a skeleton, a firefighter, a policeman, a cowboy, buzz lightyear or Santa, that would all be ok. But if he wants to dress as a pantomime dame you'd have issues?!?!?!?

Weird."

lol ok if you say so that don't make no sense for not evan worth a serious reply

London

"Going to gay pride is not going to make you children grow up gay but rather grow up with a greater understanding of the gay lifestyle and be more understanding of it in the future.

Is that really so bad?"

no not really but each to there own i'd say everybody doesn't have the same _iews on things that simple

Manchester

Well, it was in response to you not wanting your child to dress in drag. I don't see why it would be so different. Kids dress up all the time. So do adults for that matter. However, Its close mindedness that breeds the issues. Not boys in wigs and feathers!

By *attman23Man  over a year ago

Wath

"Going to gay pride is not going to make you children grow up gay but rather grow up with a greater understanding of the gay lifestyle and be more understanding of it in the future.

Is that really so bad?

no not really but each to there own i'd say everybody doesn't have the same _iews on things that simple "

I 100% agree everyone is entitle to their own opinions and some people aren't comfortable with it, however people need to realise that being gay is not something you can catch

London

Such a shame people still think that people are 'turned' gay by other gays. I would have thought in the 21st century that sort of thinking would have died out."

let's be clear that is NOT my _iew that my kids will be turned gay by seeing the event or doing dressing up just so we're clear

London

"Well, it was in response to you not wanting your child to dress in drag. I don't see why it would be so different. Kids dress up all the time. So do adults for that matter. However, Its close mindedness that breeds the issues. Not boys in wigs and feathers!"

read my post properly might help

Manchester

I did. You said god help you if they want to act something out or dress in drag like they'd seen.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"By straight I meant man and woman obviously, but seeing as this is a swinging site and most tastes are catered for and some diverse than others, should they/we be called straight as in straight laced?"

Er...what? Straight in the context of sexuality means heterosexual. It doesn't mean straightlaced.

What exactly are you after? A celebration of kinkyness? These exist.

London

"I did. You said god help you if they want to act something out or dress in drag like they'd seen. "

nope read again

Manchester

Please elucidate.

By *orny Biker 69Man  over a year ago

Greenford

Might be an old fashioned attittude of his for sure, but to be honest I dont think that ANY of us have any right whatsoever to interfere in how another parent raises thier child, so long as they act within the law obv

Manchester

" god help me if they wanna act out something they've seen ie a dance or something else, or evan wanna dress in drag afterwards like the men they've just seen etc....."
see thats what you put. . . .

"I did. You said god help you if they want to act something out or dress in drag like they'd seen.

nope read again "

I have several times and the only thing to add is that you say you don't want to open that can of worms. I am not sure what you think you are saying but it does read as though going to Pride would lead to a boy dressing up and dancing like a drag queen and you don't want to deal with that. The 'dear god' acts to emphasise the point.

As I have said, it's honest of you but not the reasons I would have for not wanting to take children. Dressing up is a normal part of development and is just that. As is dancing. One of my nephews was described as 'moving in mysterious ways' and they all do for a while. Experimenting, exploring and curiosity are all part of healthy development. Our responses are what can shape that development to be less than healthy.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"but not allowing him from seeing a parade ain't going to stop his sexuality

spot on, the guy could have what he thinks are valid reasons for not wanting his son to watch the parade..

he is the parent after all..

have a word with him, maybe address his issue with it.."

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

is it not something the wee boys mum and dad should deal with

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Not sure what your projected 'can of worms' is, but children are very capable of understanding age specific/appropriate information. They learn early on that people have relationships, even if they know nothing of sex, so pure facts that men/women, women/women, men/men etc, have relationships is simple to grasp from just a few years old and up.

You say you're 'not comfortable with it', but it may well be that your children could be more comfortable with 'it', whatever 'it' really is, and not allowing them the opportunities to learn about the wider world is somewhat limiting them from having more open minds.

We almost all get that being gay isn't contagious, but also understand that homophobia and prejudice of many sorts festers amongst ignorance and intolerance. If you have bi and gay friends, and welcome the variety of people around us,then maybe your family already appreciates diversity.

You also mentioned your children acting out what they may see - they're not going to an adult swinging or sex venue, they'd be going to a celebratory parade and party, that's not sex related, as sexuality and gender are markedly different. I don't know how many pride parties you've been to, it may be that you'd be surprised if you went along and celebrated equality for all, etc, if that fits your perspective - do you believe in equality and respect for all?

Rather than knocking back at the replies that others have given to you in their posts, perhaps you could be specific about precisely what your family may say and do, and what that would mean, and how it would challenge you all? What's the very worst that you are imagining?

London

"Might be an old fashioned attittude of his for sure, but to be honest I dont think that ANY of us have any right whatsoever to interfere in how another parent raises thier child, so long as they act within the law obv"

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Might be an old fashioned attittude of his for sure, but to be honest I dont think that ANY of us have any right whatsoever to interfere in how another parent raises thier child, so long as they act within the law obv

"

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

its clearly your position but it smacks of prejudice and ignorance tbh..

the guy has his reasons why do you feel the need to take your son along so strongly?

a don't understand the whole gay pride

fair do there gay , i'm straight but a don't see anyone saying look at me i'm straight lets hold a event

"My brother in law has banned his son from attending as he says he is too young and is worried about the effect it will have on him. He is very concerned his son will grow up gay.

My sister and I are furious at this display of homophobia, close mindedness and ignorance. But what really gets me is the hypocrisy. "

In the 1990's I used to manage a dept, one part of which was a design studio staffed largely by gay men. Some very 'out', some somewhat less so. One thing that they ALL joined in with was one a client came in an displayed clear homophobia towards any of them. They would just smile, deal with the query, and as soon as the client was out the door, turn round and all shout in unison ..... 'LATENT!' or 'CLOSET!' and then fall about laughing

Have a feeling your brother in law would have got the same response from them...

My gut feeling? Think his sons presence at Pride may be holding up a mirror to his own suppressed feelings...... Think he needs fronting up in a big way...

Yes. Think you need to see a counsellor as you are clearly not comfortable with your OWN sexuality.

Why beat about the bush? You couldn't have summed it up better to be honest....

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

fair do there gay , i'm straight but a don't see anyone saying look at me i'm straight lets hold a event

"

I do wish straight guys would have a march.... I would stand on the sidelines and blow my whistle.... right over them.

sounds horny as fuck

London

Yes. Think you need to see a counsellor as you are clearly not comfortable with your OWN sexuality.

Why beat about the bush? You couldn't have summed it up better to be honest....

"

lmao ok how you work that out then??

where did you study again???

it's MY VIEW not everybody's but mine nothing to do with any secrect issues or sexuailty but you have your _iew evan though it doesn't make any sense

Manchester

"My brother in law has banned his son from attending as he says he is too young and is worried about the effect it will have on him. He is very concerned his son will grow up gay.

In the 1990's I used to manage a dept, one part of which was a design studio staffed largely by gay men. Some very 'out', some somewhat less so. One thing that they ALL joined in with was one a client came in an displayed clear homophobia towards any of them. They would just smile, deal with the query, and as soon as the client was out the door, turn round and all shout in unison ..... 'LATENT!' or 'CLOSET!' and then fall about laughing

Have a feeling your brother in law would have got the same response from them...

My gut feeling? Think his sons presence at Pride may be holding up a mirror to his own suppressed feelings...... Think he needs fronting up in a big way...

"

the more of your posts I read, the more I like you!

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

sorry are we saying that the guy who wouldn't take his child to a pride event is a closet bi/gay man?

the more of your posts I read, the more I like you!"

Why?

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

"My 21yr old son is gay and i am very proud of him. You can-not stop someone from being gay and by NOT taking him to a Gay Pride parade is not going to stop him either if that's what he wants in life. I knew my son was going down that road many years ago, he was always surrounded by girl friends and he even tried going out with one but it wasn't to be. I have had wonderful times at Gay prides in the past and i think that sometimes they are the best people on this earth to chat too.

My son is the only one that knows in my family that i am on this site, and as long as Pork keeps me safe then he is happy for me..... "

Gay sons are great to share secrets with arent they ...My son took me to Gay pride in New York 6 years ago..I had the time of my life .

Not sure what your projected 'can of worms' is, but children are very capable of understanding age specific/appropriate information. They learn early on that people have relationships, even if they know nothing of sex, so pure facts that men/women, women/women, men/men etc, have relationships is simple to grasp from just a few years old and up.

You say you're 'not comfortable with it', but it may well be that your children could be more comfortable with 'it', whatever 'it' really is, and not allowing them the opportunities to learn about the wider world is somewhat limiting them from having more open minds.

We almost all get that being gay isn't contagious, but also understand that homophobia and prejudice of many sorts festers amongst ignorance and intolerance. If you have bi and gay friends, and welcome the variety of people around us,then maybe your family already appreciates diversity.

You also mentioned your children acting out what they may see - they're not going to an adult swinging or sex venue, they'd be going to a celebratory parade and party, that's not sex related, as sexuality and gender are markedly different. I don't know how many pride parties you've been to, it may be that you'd be surprised if you went along and celebrated equality for all, etc, if that fits your perspective - do you believe in equality and respect for all?

Rather than knocking back at the replies that others have given to you in their posts, perhaps you could be specific about precisely what your family may say and do, and what that would mean, and how it would challenge you all? What's the very worst that you are imagining?"

Obvious, isn't it Sophie? To use the words of Quentin Crisp in Naked Civil Servant..... "Some roughs are really queer...."

Nuff said.....?

London

"sorry are we saying that the guy who wouldn't take his child to a pride event is a closet bi/gay man?"

lmao it seems so as some people are saying, over and over again and they know it all of course expert's in this subject

"By straight I meant man and woman obviously, but seeing as this is a swinging site and most tastes are catered for and some diverse than others, should they/we be called straight as in straight laced?

Er...what? Straight in the context of sexuality means heterosexual. It doesn't mean straightlaced.

What exactly are you after? A celebration of kinkyness? These exist."

Should the people who are classed as straight, swingers, kinky throw the same kind of parade?

"By straight I meant man and woman obviously, but seeing as this is a swinging site and most tastes are catered for and some diverse than others, should they/we be called straight as in straight laced?

Should the people who are classed as straight, swingers, kinky throw the same kind of parade?"

What would be the unifying political or other message? Pride didn't happen in London in 1995 because of internal politics. One of the positive things about it not going ahead was to remind people why Pride started in the first place.

Lots of things happen just as a celebration but many more come from a movement of some sort. Notting Hill is this weekend - there is a very clear reason why it started and most won't know or care anymore. Carnival is a tradition but it's roots are religious (flesh feast before Lent) and it helps to use traditions people understand - as happened with Christmas and Easter.

Should the people who are classed as straight, swingers, kinky throw the same kind of parade?

What would be the unifying political or other message? Pride didn't happen in London in 1995 because of internal politics. One of the positive things about it not going ahead was to remind people why Pride started in the first place.

Lots of things happen just as a celebration but many more come from a movement of some sort. Notting Hill is this weekend - there is a very clear reason why it started and most won't know or care anymore. Carnival is a tradition but it's roots are religious (flesh feast before Lent) and it helps to use traditions people understand - as happened with Christmas and Easter."

Possibly to put a point across that they arent mainsteam boring people.

Anyone can celebrate what they believe in.

I was just asking a few questions.

"Possibly to put a point across that they arent mainsteam boring people.

I was just asking a few questions."

Yes they do but the parade ones cost a lot in time and money. And red tape.

We have been discussing having an equivalent to Burns Night for the English for too many years. We have tried it out once and it was great but life gets in the way of organising it and we haven't even got as far as really promoting it beyond our circle. Yet everyone we tell is interested - if we sort it out for them.

You start the not straight laced rally and I'll be there.

"Possibly to put a point across that they arent mainsteam boring people.

I was just asking a few questions.

Yes they do but the parade ones cost a lot in time and money. And red tape.

We have been discussing having an equivalent to Burns Night for the English for too many years. We have tried it out once and it was great but life gets in the way of organising it and we haven't even got as far as really promoting it beyond our circle. Yet everyone we tell is interested - if we sort it out for them.

You start the not straight laced rally and I'll be there."

The rally started when man first got a hard on, the rest is history, some get on with the sex, some parade and pretend to be the only gay in the village

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Sadly, there are still a lot of people out there who _iew homosexuality as the equivalent of a disease that, if you don't take precautions, will infect others.

I blame the heterosexual people. They,re the ones who produce gay people.

"Sadly, there are still a lot of people out there who _iew homosexuality as the equivalent of a disease that, if you don't take precautions, will infect others.

I blame the heterosexual people. They,re the ones who produce gay people."

» Add a new message to this topic