FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Smoking

Smoking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I just don't understand, what is it about Greece that sooo many people here smoke. I was speaking to a friend here and he said 'we start smoking really early in life, from teens'. They spend like average €70 a week on it, bearing in mind Greeks are not exactly the wealthiest country in the EU.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Are they cheap? Is there much in the way of discouragement as there is in the UK (I.e. graphic images and text, plain packages, hidden product)?

LvM

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

Not just Greece most countries. In Greece the govt set the price think it’s 4 euro 60 for 20 so no real incentive to quit.

By *offiaCoolWoman  over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Because it is their choice.

"Are they cheap? Is there much in the way of discouragement as there is in the UK (I.e. graphic images and text, plain packages, hidden product)?

LvM"

Oh no tobacco here is no cheaper than in England and it does have the graphics to try to put people off smoking, but people still smoke. A day would start of with cigarettes and a strong coffee, which is so bad for one's teeth, and lungs.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You know when you get a new car, then you see other cars like it on the road, whereas before you never noticed because you were driving another car, but now you’re looking out for them subconsciously, it’s probably just that.

"Not just Greece most countries. In Greece the govt set the price think it’s 4 euro 60 for 20 so no real incentive to quit. "

Is it really that cheap? Because my fellow Greek friend told me he spends €70 a week for 7 packets. Maybe I heard wrong. Let me go into a shop Monday to see how much it cost.

Kidsgrove

"Are they cheap? Is there much in the way of discouragement as there is in the UK (I.e. graphic images and text, plain packages, hidden product)?

LvM

Oh no tobacco here is no cheaper than in England and it does have the graphics to try to put people off smoking, but people still smoke. A day would start of with cigarettes and a strong coffee, which is so bad for one's teeth, and lungs. "

They are adults, their choice. They may not approve of swinging.

By *ung fun walesMan  over a year ago

up the road

LvM

Oh no tobacco here is no cheaper than in England and it does have the graphics to try to put people off smoking, but people still smoke. A day would start of with cigarettes and a strong coffee, which is so bad for one's teeth, and lungs. "

Not sure where u get your pricing info from, pack of cigarettes in Greece is average 4€

Average price a pack in uk is 11€ or roughly £9.50

LvM

Oh no tobacco here is no cheaper than in England and it does have the graphics to try to put people off smoking, but people still smoke. A day would start of with cigarettes and a strong coffee, which is so bad for one's teeth, and lungs.

Not sure where u get your pricing info from, pack of cigarettes in Greece is average 4€

Average price a pack in uk is 11€ or roughly £9.50 "

One of my Greek friends was telling me about how his money is spent on cigarettes that he was denting his finances, and he worked out that it was around €70 a week. I'll check tomorrow to see how much it cost for a packet. He's a welder and he earns €60 a day, I'm an electrician and at home I earn between £170 to 200 a day. I work for agencies.

By *irty desireWoman  over a year ago

newcatle

Is it really anyone’s business what they spend there money on!

We all do things which are bad for our health and am dam sure you do to! Why try n shame people.. lights a cigarette!!!

up the road

LvM

Average price a pack in uk is 11€ or roughly £9.50

One of my Greek friends was telling me about how his money is spent on cigarettes that he was denting his finances, and he worked out that it was around €70 a week. I'll check tomorrow to see how much it cost for a packet. He's a welder and he earns €60 a day, I'm an electrician and at home I earn between £170 to 200 a day. I work for agencies. "

Sounds like hes just smoking 2 packs a day

Iv been told very similar by Greek friends that "everyone smokes in Greece"

up the road

"Is it really anyone’s business what they spend there money on!

We all do things which are bad for our health and am dam sure you do to! Why try n shame people.. lights a cigarette!!!"

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

We all do things which are bad for our health and am dam sure you do to! Why try n shame people.. lights a cigarette!!!"

Kidsgrove

[Removed by poster at 27/06/21 22:09:37]

It’s like say, you buy a red car, then all you see are red cars on the road, whereas before when you had a blue one you never noticed the red cars, but only the blue.

We all do things which are bad for our health and am dam sure you do to! Why try n shame people.. lights a cigarette!!!

"

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"It’s like say, you buy a red car, then all you see are red cars on the road, whereas before when you had a blue one you never noticed the red cars, but only the blue. "

. You been drinking?

By *traight_no_iceMan  over a year ago

Stoke

"Iv been told very similar by Greek friends that "everyone smokes in Greece"

"

Not everyone smokes in Greece but yes there are heavy smokers and some start since young. There are many others who have never tried smoking.

In the 1970s and 1980s smoking was almost a social norm in the Uk. Now its the opposite.

Scandanavian countries introduced seatbelt laws before the Uk.

Westerners drink Alcohol - most muslims dont.

Different cultures move in different directions and have alternative social norms.

Its that simple.

"It’s like say, you buy a red car, then all you see are red cars on the road, whereas before when you had a blue one you never noticed the red cars, but only the blue.

. You been drinking?"

I admit choosing red was the wrong colour, cause everyone notices red cars.

By *traight_no_iceMan  over a year ago

Stoke

"Not just Greece most countries. In Greece the govt set the price think it’s 4 euro 60 for 20 so no real incentive to quit.

Is it really that cheap? Because my fellow Greek friend told me he spends €70 a week for 7 packets. Maybe I heard wrong. Let me go into a shop Monday to see how much it cost. "

Some people buy smuggled cigarette packs. No tax. It is an alternative for smokers who look to buy cheaper.

By *heNYCSausageMan  over a year ago

Everton

"You know when you get a new car, then you see other cars like it on the road, whereas before you never noticed because you were driving another car, but now you’re looking out for them subconsciously, it’s probably just that. "

I’ve always thought that! But had my new car (21 plate Renault Zoe) for 4 weeks now and I can count on one hand the amount I’ve seen (and they’re all older models too!)

Is the greek minister for health on fab?

"Is the greek minister for health on fab? "

If he's not I'm sure we can arrange for his membership. Ahhh but hold on Fab doesn't operate in Greece. Does it?

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Mainland Europeans have never really been hit with the message about not smoking. This country has been getting it for decades and the NHS provides encouragement and support to help people stop. That just hasn't happened over there to the same extent so smoking is a much more common thing.

By *ersey GirlCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Probably as it has the highest rate in Europe for smokers and it's culturally acceptable

R

We live in a nanny state

It's just more part of their culture I guess

I was wrong when I thought cigarettes was the same price as in England. Its cheaper it's €4.80 for a packet of 20.

» Add a new message to this topic