FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Train prices

Train prices

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

Ooooo here we go again, train prices are on the increase.

Now I use the train a fair few times a year...for pleasure...and I am getting fed up with the always increasing prices...

Surly the government has to put a stop to this

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Err.....it's kind of the governments fault for privatising the railway in the first place.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Surly the government has to put a stop to this"

It's the Government who have allowed them to increase the prices.

Don't worry - when the promised billions start rolling in off the back of the Olympics, there will be free travel and lollipops for everyone.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The Government are saying that they will set increases above inflation in order to reduce the 'subsidy' to the trains, invest in infrastructure and make them more efficient. This is part of their plan for the railways. At that time fares will come down. No date set for that end bit of the plan, as far as I can see.

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

"Don't worry - when the promised billions start rolling in off the back of the Olympics, there will be free travel and lollipops for everyone. "

Lollipops are nice

"Don't worry - when the promised billions start rolling in off the back of the Olympics, there will be free travel and lollipops for everyone.

Lollipops are nice"

Remember lollygobblechocbombs? They were lush!

"

Remember lollygobblechocbombs? They were lush! "

Wasn't she on here

"Ooooo here we go again, train prices are on the increase.

Now I use the train a fair few times a year...for pleasure...and I am getting fed up with the always increasing prices...

Surly the government has to put a stop to this"

I could understand it if you were buying a season ticket but if its individual tickets you can shop round as there are always discounts available.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"At that time fares will come down. No date set for that end bit of the plan, as far as I can see."

I think this same government party - Cons - had told us that privatisation would achieve the same thing, ie. lower fares.

As many are seeing pay freezes or cuts, then increasing fares above inflation, say 5% above, is potentially a much bigger increase out of available spending power for someone like this.

Remember super savers etc? Gone.

Any discounted fares will also be increasing. This is the 'green' government that does much to contradict its pre-election message. Fares are too complex, the privatisation has resulted in a big mess for customers etc. The winners are the privatised companies.

"At that time fares will come down. No date set for that end bit of the plan, as far as I can see.

I think this same government party - Cons - had told us that privatisation would achieve the same thing, ie. lower fares.

As many are seeing pay freezes or cuts, then increasing fares above inflation, say 5% above, is potentially a much bigger increase out of available spending power for someone like this.

Remember super savers etc? Gone.

Any discounted fares will also be increasing. This is the 'green' government that does much to contradict its pre-election message. Fares are too complex, the privatisation has resulted in a big mess for customers etc. The winners are the privatised companies."

The increase is inflation plus 3% - that will make it 6% standard increase. I have just seen a news piece that says some of the increases are actually 11%.

It does seem rather contrary to the message of move to cheaper areas so that housing benefit is cut but also go out to work so that JSA and other out of work benefits are cut. Low paid jobs, the entry route for the unemployed do not support a commuter lifestyle!

Ok can we get some facts in here please.

Fare rises 'can he's up to 3% above inflation. Or 5.4%.

Supersavers have not gone l used one last week. And the Web offers some really cheap fares. Look at two singles on different days rather than a return fare.

The 11% quoted is the absolute maximum permitted but others have to be reduced to balance. It's a way of getting people away from peak travelling times.

A question or two: lf privatisation has been such a failure how come ridership has risen by some 45% since? If privatisation was ideologically bad why didn't Labour renationalisation as they promised pre 1997? You actually believe a state run British Rail would have had the money to buy all the new trains that have appeared?

The UK has the newest train fleet in Europe, has the highest on time record apart from Switzerland, more high speed trains than France or Germany and fares are barely a few % higher than in Europe.

Sorry to be a bit of a Bobble hatted trainspotter but l thought some balance was needed!

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Are you really suggesting that it was in the 1997 election manifesto of Labour to renationalise the railways?

[Removed by poster at 14/08/12 14:36:13]

"Are you really suggesting that it was in the 1997 election manifesto of Labour to renationalise the railways?

"

Go read John Prescotts speeches in that election and their manifesto where they promised to 'reverse privatisation'.

More people are using the trains now than at any time since our fathers and grandfathers were demobbed after WWII. So people are voting with their feet. And who should pay for all the extra trains and track?

Well said Charlie ...

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Are you really suggesting that it was in the 1997 election manifesto of Labour to renationalise the railways?

Go read John Prescotts speeches in that election and their manifesto where they promised to 'reverse privatisation'."

Individual (freethinking) MP's are entitled to, and do so all the time, express their own thoughts in Parliament....doesn't make it government strategy....let alone a pledge.

If it appears in the pre election manifesto then it's close to being a pledge or promise....if it doesn't it's personal opinion, which MP's of ALL parties do all the time in the House.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Think all parties say stuff to be viewed as electable, as happened at the last election, ref. student fees, green targets etc- no one party has the monopoly, and sometimes things are said vaguely or in private - even if in a manifesto, what can the public do: can we sack them?

Supersavers have gone on my train company, Virgin, I believe, and thought they'd been cut, replaced by Offpeak/Advance named tickets etc.

"Ooooo here we go again, train prices are on the increase.

Surly the government has to put a stop to this

I could understand it if you were buying a season ticket but if its individual tickets you can shop round as there are always discounts available.

"

Not if your only going 1 or 2 stops.

it costs us a fortune as it is.

We have to use trains all the time as we dont drive.

Wages dont go up yet the price of food and travel does

» Add a new message to this topic