FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > American runner breaks his leg and carries on running!

American runner breaks his leg and carries on running!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

One of the 4x400 relay athletes broke his leg and still went on to finish his part and pass the baton. He said he heard it snap at about 200m but he wasn't giving up.

Fekkin gold medal for that man I hope!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Wow....

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Was it his third leg?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

It's amazing what your body can cope with when its pumped full of adrenaline

Didn't someone once play a football match with a broken neck?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"One of the 4x400 relay athletes broke his leg and still went on to finish his part and pass the baton. He said he heard it snap at about 200m but he wasn't giving up.

Fekkin gold medal for that man I hope!"

must have been a hairline fracture but even still, sounds excruciating. I watched a program on olympic gymnasts a few weeks ago and a japanese gymnast in the 70's competed with a shattered knee on the rings after injuring it previously in the games, landed heavily on his dismount, crushing it, but managed to stay standing to get the team gold.

Manteo Mitchell is his name. 25 year old lad.

"Three days ago I was going up the stairs, and I kind of missed one and landed awkwardly. I got treatment, and I was fine. I did workouts, and when I warmed up today I felt really well. I felt I could go 44 (seconds)-low. I got out pretty slow, but I picked it up and when I got to the 100-meter mark it felt weird. I was thinking I just didn't feel right. As soon as I took the first step past the 200-meter mark, I felt it break. I heard it. I even put out a little war cry, but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it. I wanted to just lie down. It felt like somebody literally just snapped my leg in half.

"I knew if I finished strong we could still get it (the baton) around. I saw (teammate) Josh Mance motioning me in for me to hand it off to him, which lifted me. I didn't want to let those three guys down, or the team down, so I just ran on it. It hurt so bad. I'm pretty amazed that I still split 45 seconds on a broken leg."

"It's amazing what your body can cope with when its pumped full of adrenaline

Didn't someone once play a football match with a broken neck?"

fa cup final goalkeeper....nowadays they come off with a broken fingernail

By *istress ValeporcaCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Amazed he could support himself on it, I broke my ankle at chams and thought it was just dislocated but broke 2 bones so I can undrstand the pain thing but to suoort his body weight on it astounds me.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually when they mean broken leg they don't mean "snapped in two" so it is don't quite as dramatic as it seems...

I played basketball on a broken knee, and ended up one new years dancing the night away, walking round central london, pulling and having woman sit on a broken leg.. only noticed the next morning when i couldn't move...

he was diagnosed with a complete break of the left fibula - not a compound fracture.

By *ayseanMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Yes it is pretty amazing what the body can do,even when knackered lol

Me too i walked around with a broken leg for six weeks without knowing it was broken, it did feel painful but ...... I then ended up in hospital with poison running up the bone and total bed rest for 3.5 weeks - wasnt a funny time really

By *istress ValeporcaCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

That makes me more amazed as mine were 2 complete breaks and dislocated my ankle looked very odd, so amazed it stayed 'in place' long enough for him to finish, but with his toned muscles they will have helped slightly ..but gobsmacked!

" he was diagnosed with a complete break of the left fibula - not a compound fracture."

Didn't someone once play a football match with a broken neck?"

A goalkeeper a while back played on with a broken neck

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

I think I heard it was his fibula. I broke mine about 15 years ago and walked around on it for 3 weeks before it was diagnosed. Went to GP several times who said it was cellulitis and then gout... each time being sent away with some tablets. Eventually a locum told me it was broken after examining it and sent me for an x-ray. She was right! When I next saw my own GP he said the reason he hadn't diagnosed it correctly was because I was walking around on it. I took out a medical negligence claim and won £1500.

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

Didn't someone once play a football match with a broken neck?

A goalkeeper a while back played on with a broken neck"

I am sure that was the great Bert Trautman who played for Man City.

» Add a new message to this topic