FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > National Anthem

National Anthem

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ue care and attention OP   Woman  over a year ago

birmingham

Well done all the winners so far but wouldn't it be great to see one of our gold medal winners actually sing the national anthem. You'd have thought they'd know it word for word!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

I thought the rowers did this morning... they were pretty pumped after winning gold

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've noticed a couple of times the national anthem seems out of key. One part seems to slide into minor key and it's really jarring. Sounds a little odd. The timing isn't quite right either as when people have tried to sing a long (albeit the crowd) they get it wrong.

Other than that the Olympics has been perfect for me. Fucking phenomenal!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Maybe they are choked up

"Well done all the winners so far but wouldn't it be great to see one of our gold medal winners actually sing the national anthem. You'd have thought they'd know it word for word! "

Maybe they don't want to? I love my country, but would never sing the national anthem

I think I'd be too overwhelmed! Loved how almsot 80,000 spectators sang it for Jessica Ennis though. Very proud to be British tonight.

birmingham

I've watched loads of it this week but can't say I have seen every gold medal presentation but quite a few. It's been fantastic. Just dissapointed but maybe it's a sign of the times, we were taught the national anthem at school. Maybe they don't teach it any more?

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

That there Victoria Pendleton sang it on the podium, every word, and she didnt mumble her way through it either!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"I've noticed a couple of times the national anthem seems out of key. One part seems to slide into minor key and it's really jarring. Sounds a little odd. The timing isn't quite right either as when people have tried to sing a long (albeit the crowd) they get it wrong.

Other than that the Olympics has been perfect for me. Fucking phenomenal!"

All of the national anthems have been rejigged to be the same length.

Apparently the changes to ours (the long dum dum dum in the middle of it) was run past the Queen and she approved!

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

"I've noticed a couple of times the national anthem seems out of key. One part seems to slide into minor key and it's really jarring. Sounds a little odd. The timing isn't quite right either as when people have tried to sing a long (albeit the crowd) they get it wrong.

"

This ^

I totally agree - something sounds 'odd' about it and it's unsettling. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it

Nope they still teach it in some schools my 6 and 4 year old know it word for word and have sung along whenever they have heard it, bless em

never sung it in my life, and never would, horrible tune, and words.

birmingham

Do we get a new national anthem with a new monarch?

"Do we get a new national anthem with a new monarch?"

nope, just change queen/king about and thats it.

Sheffield

"Do we get a new national anthem with a new monarch?"

Just the gender changes. Not the music or anything.

By *enithWoman  over a year ago

closer than you think

think they should play at least 2 verses regardless as to whether people sing the words .... ours is over in 30 seconds compared to all the other countries that seem to last an eternity!!

I was bawling my eyes out singing the Anthem when Jess got her medal ..I am fiercely patriotic anyway but this week has been just an emotional overload.

And I did notice the rower who got a medal but was just so destroyed Steve Redgrave was helping him recover stopped walking, leaned on Redgrave and sang the Anthem when another crew got theirs..totally wiped out but still stood and sang it. Humbling!

6 golds in one day...Go Team GB!

Sheffield

"think they should play at least 2 verses regardless as to whether people sing the words .... ours is over in 30 seconds compared to all the other countries that seem to last an eternity!! "

They have all been rearranged to last the same length of time.

So the others appear to last longer but actually don't! Perhaps it's cos we didn't win or because we don't know the words that they seem to last longer.

"never sung it in my life, and never would, horrible tune, and words."

I would much prefer Land of Hope and Glory.

Of course you get a new anthem

God save our gracious Queen

God save our gracious King

as appropriate

I can't take any notice of Scottish/Welsh people who don't like the UK anthem, they have issues.

And of course the history of aligning with anyone who hates the English (French, Germans, Russians, anyone who supports/promises them independence as a way to break up the Strong UK) SInce many are also of a left wing bent, and their mantra is 'United we stand, divided we fall, hence the need to divide the UK....

Now, who wants a shag?

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

"I was bawling my eyes out singing the Anthem when Jess got her medal ..I am fiercely patriotic anyway but this week has been just an emotional overload.

And I did notice the rower who got a medal but was just so destroyed Steve Redgrave was helping him recover stopped walking, leaned on Redgrave and sang the Anthem when another crew got theirs..totally wiped out but still stood and sang it. Humbling!

6 golds in one day...Go Team GB!"

Good for you.. I get emotional and choked.. These kids works soo hard for years to achieve this. They have done us proud..

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"think they should play at least 2 verses regardless as to whether people sing the words .... ours is over in 30 seconds compared to all the other countries that seem to last an eternity!! "

was impressed how during the opening ceremony that they did sing 2 verses

I just wish someone would sit down and ignore the anthem during the games. There's a lot more to being British than singing or acknowledging that awful cacophony. It's not going to happen but I can dream

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"I just wish someone would sit down and ignore the anthem during the games. There's a lot more to being British than singing or acknowledging that awful cacophony. It's not going to happen but I can dream "

booooo

Ya-boo back at you. Roll on the republic

"I just wish someone would sit down and ignore the anthem during the games. There's a lot more to being British than singing or acknowledging that awful cacophony. It's not going to happen but I can dream "

The reason for standing for a National Anthem is the same as why the military salute at full attention. It is that you are 'saluting' that Country. And a salue is a personal way of showing respect.

It actually has nothing to do with the Monarchy although we salute her as Head of State and they are combined on occasion.

So, my republican friend, if you want to sit down and disrespect my country, YOUR country, please do. But don't expect me or any of the millions that DO show respect to this country to have the slightest respect for you or your beliefs. If a foreigner can stand (or salute) our Anthem and Country then why can't you?

And as I said in a similar Thread one of the greatest freedoms this country bestows on you is, if you don't like it, the freedom to leave. At any time.

"I've watched loads of it this week but can't say I have seen every gold medal presentation but quite a few. It's been fantastic. Just dissapointed but maybe it's a sign of the times, we were taught the national anthem at school. Maybe they don't teach it any more?"

They didnt.. but obviously this year my kids classes got taught it... However my kids got to show off that they already knew it.

I have to say that I am hiding away from the tv till its done with though.

Cali

ah so we meet again Moriarty. As you know, I fundamentally disagree. You have one viewpoint which attempts to use peer pressure to maintain the status quo, whilst I want the people of this country to grow up and away from devotion to, in my opinion, an outmoded model.

As for the military, in a civilized country, they will salute whatever anthem they are told to.

Why should a Republican leave a place because they have no love or respect for a specific anthem? Isn't that just passive resistance?

Do you object to the freedom of movement and expression of those with a different political agenda or do you just have a problem with people who have superior musical taste perhaps lol

ahh I love a good debate )))

"As for the military, in a civilized country, they will salute whatever anthem they are told to."

Very true but those who do serve in the military do so voluntarily and are proud to display their loyalty to the Queen as Head of State. The Anthem is a platform for that pride in Queen and Country. They salute the Head of State NOT the Anthem itself.

"Why should a Republican leave a place because they have no love or respect for a specific anthem? Isn't that just passive resistance?"

I didn't say they 'should'. I said anyone is free to leave. There is a difference. And you miss my point that it isn't the Anthem itself we stand up for its because it is a way for ALL citizens of a country to publicly show honour and respect for their country. I am all for passive resistance but when that displays disrespect for your own country I think it is misplaced.

"Do you object to the freedom of movement and expression of those with a different political agenda or do you just have a problem with people who have superior musical taste perhaps lol "

Noooo ..far from it! I fully support freedom of movement for any Republican

And as an ex musician I am happy to enjoy all musical tastes.

But I am worried. I had you down as the Moriarty plotting against the Establishment ..

I got to there first matey boy. Now where's my violin and laudanum?

I don't believe in plotting. Outwitting, dazzling or educating, is fun but nothing as devious as a plot ...

Royal baiting is fun, but religion is where the best action is to be found

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Ah yes, the populist demands of how others should behave....

30 years ago, the Daily Mail was incandescent that Daley Thompson whistled along. These days, they'd kill to have someone joining in.

I just think there are bigger concerns, and it's hypocritically applied - lots of criticism of Giggs/Bellamy, none of Wiggins....

birmingham

Anyway, back to the original topic...I wonder how many actually know the national anthem these days?

I remember when I was little when there were only 3 channels on tv, I think it was BBC 1&2 that closed at the end of the night with the national anthem, who remembers or used to stand for it?

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Anyway, back to the original topic...I wonder how many actually know the national anthem these days?

I remember when I was little when there were only 3 channels on tv, I think it was BBC 1&2 that closed at the end of the night with the national anthem, who remembers or used to stand for it?"

I remember the closedown and the national anthem being played, i dont remember standing for it, but i do know the words, whenever i hear it i get goosebumps

I remember it being played and we all stood for it then watched the white dot disappear .................

The music is off key a fair bit in the anthem, there are some proper flat bits where it's been cut and thankfully in the stadium events the crowd sings over the poor timing and melody!

I would say in the smaller venues it's impossible to sing along with!

We were all taught the national anthem at school

after me, 1, 2, 3:-

"Mae hen wlad fy nhadau ..."

;)

"We were all taught the national anthem at school

after me, 1, 2, 3:-

"Mae hen wlad fy nhadau ..."

;)"

It team GB not cymru silly! We r a nation united for this!

when the national anthem is played (or any of the GB ones) it does suggest a formal or semi formal event/occasion, and a bit or respect should be shown.

"I've watched loads of it this week but can't say I have seen every gold medal presentation but quite a few. It's been fantastic. Just dissapointed but maybe it's a sign of the times, we were taught the national anthem at school. Maybe they don't teach it any more?"

Ive never heard of schools teaching it. Always thought that was an american thing

That was the anthem I was taught as a child and a lovely bit of music it is.

Was told to learn GSTQ for swearing in ceremony at scouts so left instead as I had no intention of swearing allegiance to monarch or god. But that's a different debate

andy murray sung it well didnt he

not!

Everybody In sport should be required to know and sing the national anthem. It is so embarrassing to see our sportsmen and women just standing there when people from other countries sing their's with pride.

It doesn't matter what the national anthem stands for. To other countries watching it just looks lazy and demonstrates an apparent lack of national pride.

Some schools definitely do still teach it, even those that have a very mixed intake from across the globe!

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"andy murray sung it well didnt he

not! "

he tried - he was emotional - it's not a snging competition

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Everybody In sport should be required to know and sing the national anthem. It is so embarrassing to see our sportsmen and women just standing there when people from other countries sing their's with pride.

It doesn't matter what the national anthem stands for. To other countries watching it just looks lazy and demonstrates an apparent lack of national pride.

Some schools definitely do still teach it, even those that have a very mixed intake from across the globe!"

Most don't but this year a lot did introduce children to it because of the Jubilee, alongside their Jubilee projects and celebrations. The Olympics will help to consolidate this for those young people.

cwmbran

Here's a thought - is it not about time we had a new national anthem for GB which reflects on how we have evolved rather than one which dwells on the past which lets face it many people can't get behind for various reasons. OK there will still be some who will have a reason not to sing it. The passing of the Queen would be a good opportunity to introduce it.

"

Most don't but this year a lot did introduce children to it because of the Jubilee, alongside their Jubilee projects and celebrations. The Olympics will help to consolidate this for those young people."

I know a few that do every year! I think that it is a good thing. We don't want to lose national identity and whether people agree with them or not, the royals are part of our national identity!

By *utmegsMan  over a year ago

Closer than you think

I'm not sure about the key but isn't the problem of timing largely the result of the sheer size of the stadium? It takes time for the music to reach the crowd and for the crowd noise to reach the microphone, so they are bound to be out of sync.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

"Everybody In sport should be required to know and sing the national anthem. It is so embarrassing to see our sportsmen and women just standing there when people from other countries sing their's with pride.

Some schools definitely do still teach it, even those that have a very mixed intake from across the globe!"

Everybody in sport should be made to sing the National Anthem ?..Firstly we are not North Korea !!...secondly for sports like Rugby, National Anthems are sung before the game..some players belt it out, others remain tight lipped. It depends on the effect it has on them as individuals.

For some singing can help them as an inspiring motivational tool, others find it too emotionally draining, and can have a negative effect on their performance, it depends on what works best for each individual.

It has nothing to do with lack of national pride.

"Everybody in sport should be made to sing the National Anthem ?..Firstly we are not North Korea !!...secondly for sports like Rugby, National Anthems are sung before the game..some players belt it out, others remain tight lipped. It depends on the effect it has on them as individuals.

For some singing can help them as an inspiring motivational tool, others find it too emotionally draining, and can have a negative effect on their performance, it depends on what works best for each individual.

"

No we are not North Korea, but knowing and singing the National Anthem is not quite the same thing now is it!! If they find it so 'emotionally draining' then they probably shouldn't be on the pitch as they will find representing their country a potential nervous breakdown.

It may be the case to some people like yourself, but to the rest of the world it looks like they don't actually know it!

If a six year old child can learn the national anthem then a footballer or athlete (even if they are of marginal intelligence) can also learn it.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

"Everybody in sport should be made to sing the National Anthem ?..Firstly we are not North Korea !!...secondly for sports like Rugby, National Anthems are sung before the game..some players belt it out, others remain tight lipped. It depends on the effect it has on them as individuals.

No we are not North Korea, but knowing and singing the National Anthem is not quite the same thing now is it!! If they find it so 'emotionally draining' then they probably shouldn't be on the pitch as they will find representing their country a potential nervous breakdown.

It may be the case to some people like yourself, but to the rest of the world it looks like they don't actually know it!

If a six year old child can learn the national anthem then a footballer or athlete (even if they are of marginal intelligence) can also learn it."

Who mentioned nervous breakdowns!.I am talking about professional athletes at elite level where dealing with expectancy and emotion prior to games is an important factor relating to performance.

I assume you haven't represented your country as a professional athlete in front of 80,000 people, maybe if you had then perhaps you would respect the choices made my individuals without doubting how much they love their country.

There is a no greater Welsh patriot than Wales international prop Adam Jones, he doesn't sing his national anthem.

I suspect it's not something you would mention if you met him.

"Here's a thought - is it not about time we had a new national anthem for GB which reflects on how we have evolved rather than one which dwells on the past which lets face it many people can't get behind for various reasons. OK there will still be some who will have a reason not to sing it. The passing of the Queen would be a good opportunity to introduce it. "

Surely the point of a National Anthem is its permanence? It reflects the continuation of the Nation itself and the continuity of the governing system of that Nation.

Note I said 'Nation' not 'Gt. Britain' but by inference it applies.

So we change it ...and then get bored again..and ...and..

No sorry we have a National Anthem not only for ourselves but for other peoples of other Nations to recognise the Anthem itself and the Country it represents. Just like we have a National Flag.

If we keep changing it how do we let others know? "And this year the National Anthem of Great Britain will be ...."

"andy murray sung it well didnt he

not!

he tried - he was emotional - it's not a snging competition"

cwmbran

"Here's a thought - is it not about time we had a new national anthem for GB which reflects on how we have evolved rather than one which dwells on the past which lets face it many people can't get behind for various reasons. OK there will still be some who will have a reason not to sing it. The passing of the Queen would be a good opportunity to introduce it.

Surely the point of a National Anthem is its permanence? It reflects the continuation of the Nation itself and the continuity of the governing system of that Nation.

Note I said 'Nation' not 'Gt. Britain' but by inference it applies.

So we change it ...and then get bored again..and ...and..

No sorry we have a National Anthem not only for ourselves but for other peoples of other Nations to recognise the Anthem itself and the Country it represents. Just like we have a National Flag.

If we keep changing it how do we let others know? "And this year the National Anthem of Great Britain will be ...." "

The point Im making is that it's coming upto 300 years old it's actually quite devisive for the citizens of the nation it represents. I wouldn't know for sure but I would suggest that many nations have at some time changed their anthem or flag - look at S Africa for instance the new flag went some way to unifying the country

As another slight deviation to this thread I am so happy that everyone is referring to our little corner of the globe as GB. Next step, out with it! Great Britain - not that horrid EU speak term UK... yuk

cwmbran

"As another slight deviation to this thread I am so happy that everyone is referring to our little corner of the globe as GB. Next step, out with it! Great Britain - not that horrid EU speak term UK... yuk "

UK is the correct (shortened term) though, Great Britain is just the main island of England scotland and Wales - correct me if Im wrong

cwmbran

"As another slight deviation to this thread I am so happy that everyone is referring to our little corner of the globe as GB. Next step, out with it! Great Britain - not that horrid EU speak term UK... yuk "

UK is the correct (shortened term) though, Great Britain is just the main island of England scotland and Wales - correct me if Im wrong

Well I for one would be all in favour of something based on Jerusalem or maybe Jupiter from the Planets Suite.

I couldn't possibly argue with that. But would an NI athlete be selected for Ireland or GB in that case.

I don't know as I don't really give a fig about the Olympics

"Here's a thought - is it not about time we had a new national anthem for GB which reflects on how we have evolved rather than one which dwells on the past which lets face it many people can't get behind for various reasons. OK there will still be some who will have a reason not to sing it. The passing of the Queen would be a good opportunity to introduce it. "

Has she croaked?

cwmbran

"Here's a thought - is it not about time we had a new national anthem for GB which reflects on how we have evolved rather than one which dwells on the past which lets face it many people can't get behind for various reasons. OK there will still be some who will have a reason not to sing it. The passing of the Queen would be a good opportunity to introduce it.

Has she croaked? "

Her parachute didn't open

"As another slight deviation to this thread I am so happy that everyone is referring to our little corner of the globe as GB. Next step, out with it! Great Britain - not that horrid EU speak term UK... yuk

UK is the correct (shortened term) though, Great Britain is just the main island of England scotland and Wales - correct me if Im wrong"

No you are quite correct and the EU had nowt to do with us being the UK as Moriarty suggested...

I guess we are all ussing the term 'GB' as it is 'Team GB' and the OP was about the Olympics..

Has she croaked?

Her parachute didn't open "

too busy picking her nails to pull the cord?

1) I think you'll find you were Moriarty, though I think with aspirations of Sir Humphrey?

2) The phrase was "EU speak" - not that the EU imposed it.

3) Using not ussing ...)

"Well done all the winners so far but wouldn't it be great to see one of our gold medal winners actually sing the national anthem. You'd have thought they'd know it word for word! "

I don't think it really matters. f they spend that little bit more time getting their technique right for a gold they could sing Happy Talk or what ever or me.

"1) I think you'll find you were Moriarty, though I think with aspirations of Sir Humphrey?

2) The phrase was "EU speak" - not that the EU imposed it.

3) Using not ussing ...)

"

1) My bad. Me Moriarty you ..well not Sherlock surely?

2) Never said they imposed it and its not even EU speak. Thankfully the EU existed long before that discredited arrangement.

3) indeed ...

Don't call me Shirley ...

"Don't call me Shirley ..."

OK Crabtree ...

By *umtomeMan  over a year ago

Local

They are playing the Luxembourg anthem instead of god save the queen, you can tell by the instrumental in the middle... You tube it!

Also for the guy that said all anthems are the same duration.... Don't think so, the star spangled banner and advance Australia fair as well as a fair few others are much longer.

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

Piers Morgan is giving £1k to great ormand st for every athlete that sings the anthem but he's also being an arse over those that don't!

Chris hoy was a wreck before receiving his medal tonight and to be honest if it was me I don't think I would be able to hold it together to sing after what they've acheived.

Some can some cant

By *ouplekinkCouple  over a year ago

kink town

"They are playing the Luxembourg anthem instead of god save the queen, you can tell by the instrumental in the middle... You tube it!

Also for the guy that said all anthems are the same duration.... Don't think so, the star spangled banner and advance Australia fair as well as a fair few others are much longer."

Every national anthem for the olympics has been composed specially for london 2012, and they all have to be between 60-90 secs long, as per ioc rules. So it is 'God save the Queen' just a slightly different short one.

» Add a new message to this topic