FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I'm surprised we're alive

I'm surprised we're alive

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *layfullsam OP   Man  over a year ago

Solihull

If you're with me and from the older generation before health and safety kicked in we'd do stupid things and survive (maybe a broken bone or two but no harm done)

What did you used to do that would be frowned on now ?

Remember the days of deep fat fryers at home and coming home from the pub and trying to make chips.

Boiling oil and being d*unk, what could possibly go wrong

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Solihull

Grand national race jumping people's hedges on the way back from the pub and I went through a green house

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh too many to mention but the time I used to fly (drive recklessly) around a one track road at 80mph when I was 17 just gives me shudders. Surprised I'm still here

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Well as a member of the building trade I for one am glad of health and safety improvements.

I remember some of the right Dodgy stuff when I first started.

Luckily I was working on a contract at Heathrow airport so health and safety was far better than other locations but still.

One of the worst things was a dump truck with a handle to start it that you had to whip off quick when it started,if not either rip your arm off or

The handle would stay attached spinning round at approx 100rpm if it flew off probably kill you if it hit your head.

Absolutely hated having to use it.

Solihull

"Oh too many to mention but the time I used to fly (drive recklessly) around a one track road at 80mph when I was 17 just gives me shudders. Surprised I'm still here "

I was the same on motorbikes although I did have a few nasty crashes, couple of mates weren't so lucky.

It's only when you know it's dangerous, then you tend to think about the safety aspect.

"It's only when you know it's dangerous, then you tend to think about the safety aspect. "

At the age of 17 I thought I was invincible.

I know better now

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Unguarded PTO shafts whizzing around inches from your loose, flapping jacket

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

Me and a mate rewired his house plastered after an afternoon in the pub...

I got a tingle of live electricity..suggested we turn off at the mains ...got a giggling fit when he said thats only for a precaution...

Solihull

"Me and a mate rewired his house plastered after an afternoon in the pub...

I got a tingle of live electricity..suggested we turn off at the mains ...got a giggling fit when he said thats only for a precaution..."

Lol alcohol and electrics

Solihull

Used to go to places as a group in the back of a mates van, either sat on the floor, standing up or in deck chairs if we were feeling posh.

Same to junior football games when a kid

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

The list is endless! I actually hold a construction industry training board site managers safety certificate, yet being from the Auf Wiedersen Pet era when construction was fun, before The HSE, or Polish Ambassadors as we call them as they tend to leave foreign workers get on with it, and persecute UK based companies, which led many of us in the industry to vote Brexit, I've seen snowball fights with asbestos to greasing up an apprentice's balls so as he didn't make the same mistake twice. We'd get crucified now for some of the things that we got up to back in those balmy days.

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"If you're with me and from the older generation before health and safety kicked in we'd do stupid things and survive (maybe a broken bone or two but no harm done)"

The people who didn't survive aren't here to tell us about it. Look up "survivorship bias".

If someone attacked you and gave you "a broken bone or two", would you shrug it off as "no harm done"?

I cut through a hedge strimmer cable after a few beers on a lovely summer afternoon. The loud bang made me drop strimmer in fright and landed on my foot

There are many more instances like this

British bulldogs at school was always a tradegy waiting to happen

"British bulldogs at school was always a tradegy waiting to happen "

It got banned at my school.

Solihull

"If you're with me and from the older generation before health and safety kicked in we'd do stupid things and survive (maybe a broken bone or two but no harm done)

The people who didn't survive aren't here to tell us about it. Look up "survivorship bias".

If someone attacked you and gave you "a broken bone or two", would you shrug it off as "no harm done"?"

Yes I would if we both wanted to fight.

But otherwise are you really comparing an unprovoked attack with falling out of a tree while d*unk.

Sounds like you'd be real fun at a party

Solihull

"British bulldogs at school was always a tradegy waiting to happen "

Omg the best playground game ever !!

Solihull

"I cut through a hedge strimmer cable after a few beers on a lovely summer afternoon. The loud bang made me drop strimmer in fright and landed on my foot

There are many more instances like this "

Lol

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

You're really going to argue that broken bones are no harm done.

Okay. You do you.

Look up "survivorship bias" anyway.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Jumping out of bedroom windows of a derelict house on to a mattress.

Climbing trees and jumping out of them.

No rules football.

Playing ‘Army’ with air rifles.

Some of the stupid stuff I got up to on a Motorbike.

All things, that I hope my Kids would never do.

Solihull

"You're really going to argue that broken bones are no harm done.

Okay. You do you.

Look up "survivorship bias" anyway. "

No intension of looking up survivor bias, I had an awesome childhood and yes I broke bones as a kid and as an adult and would I do it again ? Hell yes !

No problems if people want to wrap themselves up in cotton wool and miss out on trying things because that's their choice.

Please can you go and be grumpy on someone else's thread ?

Most people posting on here have been there and got the t shirt and can see it for the light hearted thread it is.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I remember going to school with 8 of us plus the driver in a family saloon. Before the days of ‘have you got your seat belt on? Sometimes 3 of us on the front seat. Nobody batted an eyelid, Imagine that today.

You look back and think, did we really do those things?

Solihull

"Jumping out of bedroom windows of a derelict house on to a mattress.

No rules football.

"

They'll Probably do exactly what you did but the difference is it will be on a playstation or Xbox game

Snowball fights between opposing school houses...always ended in a mass brawl

Solihull

Anyone remember cars having vinyl seats and on a hot day wearing shorts you risked third degree burns

Okay. You do you.

No intension of looking up survivor bias, I had an awesome childhood and yes I broke bones as a kid and as an adult and would I do it again ? Hell yes !

No problems if people want to wrap themselves up in cotton wool and miss out on trying things because that's their choice.

Most people posting on here have been there and got the t shirt and can see it for the light hearted thread it is."

Solihull

"Snowball fights between opposing school houses...always ended in a mass brawl "

And accidentally picking up gravel with the snow

"Snowball fights between opposing school houses...always ended in a mass brawl

And accidentally picking up gravel with the snow"

You know it i went to an all boys military school imagine how that turned out

Whilst we're on that dorm Olympics with glass fire doors at the end

Chicken with darts, deep heat in ppls jock straps b4 a rugby match happy days lol

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

Okay. You do you.

Most people posting on here have been there and got the t shirt and can see it for the light hearted thread it is."

I was trying on new shoes when I was about 16 and my friend knocked on my door I was so eager to show them off I fell all the way down the stairs and put my arm through the glass door .My husband got locked out of his house so he jumped through the window landed in the bath and broke his arm in 3 places .

Solihull

Okay. You do you.

Most people posting on here have been there and got the t shirt and can see it for the light hearted thread it is. I was trying on new shoes when I was about 16 and my friend knocked on my door I was so eager to show them off I fell all the way down the stairs and put my arm through the glass door .My husband got locked out of his house so he jumped through the window landed in the bath and broke his arm in 3 places . "

Do you still carry any scars from yours and was alcohol involved with husbands bath episode ?

Normally you bounce more if you're body is relaxed

Okay. You do you.

Look up "survivorship bias" anyway. "

Yawn

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"Jumping out of bedroom windows of a derelict house on to a mattress.

No rules football.

They'll Probably do exactly what you did but the difference is it will be on a playstation or Xbox game "

I’ll buy them the game to ensure they don’t do it for real, but I’m a massive worrier when it comes to my lads.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

When we where 17 one of my friends passed his driving test and bought a black mini van. How many could we get in there? 20. Three in the front and 17 in the back. Some would lie on the floor and everyone else would lie piled up on top.

One day we where going round a corner and the back doors opened and half flew out. We where laughing so much it took a minute for him to stop. Noone was injured.

This is 38 years ago now.

Also play parks where bloody dangerous places

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

The roundabout down our local park had a big enough gap under it that you could squeeze under and sit on the inner frame while your mates pushed it round from the outside - how no-one ever came to serious harm from doing that I'll never know.

Then there was going to high on swings that it got to a point where unless you maintained the momentum the chains would slacken and you risked taking a tumble.

School trips to France and buying bangers that were thrown at each other.

Climbing trees and seeing who could reach the highest flimsiest point on the thinnest branches.

What was that game where you stood opposite each other and threw sharp knives at the other person's foot to see who flinched first?

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

"When we where 17 one of my friends passed his driving test and bought a black mini van. How many could we get in there? 20. Three in the front and 17 in the back. Some would lie on the floor and everyone else would lie piled up on top.

One day we where going round a corner and the back doors opened and half flew out. We where laughing so much it took a minute for him to stop. Noone was injured.

Also play parks where bloody dangerous places"

20! I thought that I had pushed boundaries with 10 in my dads old Morris Oxford estate car, 3 in the front, 4 in the back, and 3 in the boot. That was before people carriers were invented.

"When we where 17 one of my friends passed his driving test and bought a black mini van. How many could we get in there? 20. Three in the front and 17 in the back. Some would lie on the floor and everyone else would lie piled up on top.

Also play parks where bloody dangerous places

20! I thought that I had pushed boundaries with 10 in my dads old Morris Oxford estate car, 3 in the front, 4 in the back, and 3 in the boot. That was before people carriers were invented. "

we used to all just lie on top of each other

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

A house mate did that to me, came In crawling and put pizza in the oven and promptly zzzzz out on the sofa, so I waited till it was done and ate it, she had no clue

This one isnt funny.

We where having a bbq and someone decided to pour petrol on the bbq the can caught fire and they threw it and it hit a tree. I was sat under the tree and it hit me and i went up in flames. Had to rip my clothes of me. I had no hair or eyebrows and was covered in burns.

Luckily pulling my clothes over my head stopped my face being burnt.

I was wrapped up in bandages for ages looked like a mummy.

I had really bad scaring but lucky for me the scars went within a couple of years.

I made the local paper

Solihull

Can any one remember the spinning horizontal metal wheels like spiders webs that you got as many kids on as you can and then span it as fast as you can which invariably flung kids off at increasing mph's onto grass if you were lucky or more likely gravel or concrete

Solihull

Even the first astro turf gave you burns if you did a slide tackle on it

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

My mother used to cook chips in an open saucepan of hot oil and sit me next to it on the kitchen side by the cooker dropping tiny bits of raw potatoes in so then she could tell when the hot oil was ready

Doing stupid things with cars and flying machines. Walked away from 4 and 2 crashes respectively. Moved on to stupid things with guns, got shot once. Eventually retired, but still stupid. I will die doing something stupid..

Solihull

"jarts"

If you know, you know

Home made go karts down the steepest hill that we could find

You could break your neck falling out of bed.

Think about it!

Back in the day when I used to drink heavily, we once looked up how much alcohol cause kill you.

that soon stopped us drinking as we were regularly over the amount.

"Back in the day when I used to drink heavily, we once looked up how much alcohol cause kill you.

that soon stopped us drinking as we were regularly over the amount. "

"This one isnt funny.

We where having a bbq and someone decided to pour petrol on the bbq the can caught fire and they threw it and it hit a tree. I was sat under the tree and it hit me and i went up in flames. Had to rip my clothes of me. I had no hair or eyebrows and was covered in burns.

Luckily pulling my clothes over my head stopped my face being burnt.

I was wrapped up in bandages for ages looked like a mummy.

I had really bad scaring but lucky for me the scars went within a couple of years.

I made the local paper"

"I remember going to school with 8 of us plus the driver in a family saloon. Before the days of ‘have you got your seat belt on? Sometimes 3 of us on the front seat. Nobody batted an eyelid, Imagine that today.

You look back and think, did we really do those things?"

4 kids on the back seat and a few in the boot with the parcel shelf removed.

Travelled many miles like that.

» Add a new message to this topic