FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > School Protest

School Protest

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I think it is foolish to cause offence to any religion and others have to deal with the fallout.

Respect to all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I think it is foolish to cause offence to any religion and others have to deal with the fallout.

Respect to all. "

Love for all hatred for none

"I think it is foolish to cause offence to any religion and others have to deal with the fallout.

Respect to all. "

I dunno what kind of picture he shared to his class. But it's a picture ffs.

By *lappyMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I must be living up a rock .... What’s happened????

Respect to all.

I dunno what kind of picture he shared to his class. But it's a picture ffs. "

Have I missed something? How is this related to schools?

Colchester

A teacher is said to have shown an image of The Prophet go his class or said he would which has caused offence and so demonstrators are outside the school

Respect to all.

Have I missed something? How is this related to schools?"

Because the teacher showed a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Respect to all.

Have I missed something? How is this related to schools?"

I believe a school staff are striking as a teacher was disciplined for showing/ telling kids about a person.

Hahaha that was helpful I just googled abs couldn’t find it

South

Respect to all.

Because the teacher showed a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad. "

That’s it!

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

It’s interesting that this is all over the news but the school that made all the boys stand up during assembly and apologise for being male is getting almost no attention.

South

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-56524850

South

"It’s interesting that this is all over the news but the school that made all the boys stand up during assembly and apologise for being male is getting almost no attention."

Where is your source? Sounds like bullshit to me

Colchester

"It’s interesting that this is all over the news but the school that made all the boys stand up during assembly and apologise for being male is getting almost no attention."

Apologize for being male?

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Thought the Dept for Ed’s response was interesting.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Respect to all.

Because the teacher showed a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad. "

Oh dear. Did a teacher in France not do the same and ended up getting beheaded?.

Respect to all.

Oh dear. Did a teacher in France not do the same and ended up getting beheaded?."

Yes. Last year I believe that happened

By *hristopherd999Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

"Another mother said the use of the material was "out of order and unacceptable" and said she may consider removing her child from the school"

Good idea, then the school can get rid of another narrow minded wanker and let the school get on with teaching

Male students at Brauer College in Warrnambool were purportedly told to apologise to the girls for offensive behaviour on behalf of their gender on Wednesday. Danielle Shephard told 7NEWS that her 12-year-old son, who is in Year 7 at the school, was left feeling confused following the exercise.

School has since said they were wrong to do so.

Respect to all.

Oh dear. Did a teacher in France not do the same and ended up getting beheaded?."

Yes, this is happened recently. Ultimately teachers should respect different faiths and be aware of what might cause incredible offense to some people, whether they believe it or not. Doesn't justify a beheading of course! I'm just saying they shouldn't do it.

w

"It’s interesting that this is all over the news but the school that made all the boys stand up during assembly and apologise for being male is getting almost no attention.

Where is your source? Sounds like bullshit to me "

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-25/apology-for-handling-of-sexual-assault-topic-at-assembly/13275492

w

"It’s interesting that this is all over the news but the school that made all the boys stand up during assembly and apologise for being male is getting almost no attention.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-25/apology-for-handling-of-sexual-assault-topic-at-assembly/13275492"

The school has apologised and that’s the end of it. That’s not enough, this is clear and obviously sexism and misandry. The head teacher should lose their job

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

I don't know the cicumstances of why the teacher used a picture but as a teacher of and expressive subject, I always try and get students into open debates and to develop work that can result in socioty questioning certain aspect within itself. If the teacher was trying to create an educational debate, perhaps they should have went about this in another way but, to assume it was to simply to cause offence is narrow minded.

The question is, should religion dictate what is taught within subjects and shoud some some religios beliefs take presidence over others.

Then again, I don't know the details so it would be hard to form an opinion on this specific scenario.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Without knowing the context that the cartoon was shown it is hard to comment.

In our school images are shown as part of education, one to teach each other about their faiths, their ways; another to show what might seem innocent to some could be offensive to others, from that stems a class discussion. The teacher is normally joined by a parent from that faith to explain it fully. It works for us and gives the children a good understanding of both sides.

South

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-25/apology-for-handling-of-sexual-assault-topic-at-assembly/13275492"

Australia ..... hardly relevant to schools and curriculum in the UK.

South

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-25/apology-for-handling-of-sexual-assault-topic-at-assembly/13275492

The school has apologised and that’s the end of it. That’s not enough, this is clear and obviously sexism and misandry. The head teacher should lose their job "

Do you have more details? Doesn’t really say enough about the context

w

The school has apologised and that’s the end of it. That’s not enough, this is clear and obviously sexism and misandry. The head teacher should lose their job

Do you have more details? Doesn’t really say enough about the context "

Doesn’t it?

The boys were asked to stand up in assembly as a token apology for their gender to the female students.

That’s all the context you need to decide that this is wrong

Respect to all.

Oh dear. Did a teacher in France not do the same and ended up getting beheaded?.

Yes. Last year I believe that happened "

This came out to be false in the end. The student who made the allegation in the beginning was questioned and she admitted she lied about it.

South

Doesn’t it?

The boys were asked to stand up in assembly as a token apology for their gender to the female students.

That’s all the context you need to decide that this is wrong "

Not really... there is no back history about the culture of the school I’m assuming it’s high school - there maybe a culture of harassment there may have been incidents or the normalisation of harassment as there is in lots and lots of places. On the face of it yes extremely wrong but had there not been underlying reasons for the decision the head teacher would have been disciplined. I would hazard a guess it’s sensationalist journalism like the ‘police with broken bones’ in Bristol this week. I wouldn’t trust news that comes from a source who’s goal in life is to sell articles ..... certainly not to the point where you’re demanding a head teacher gets the sack from the other side of the world.

South

Respect to all.

This came out to be false in the end. The student who made the allegation in the beginning was questioned and she admitted she lied about it. "

Just heartbreaking

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Education minister was spot on with his comments.

w

Doesn’t it?

Not really... there is no back history about the culture of the school I’m assuming it’s high school - there maybe a culture of harassment there may have been incidents or the normalisation of harassment as there is in lots and lots of places. On the face of it yes extremely wrong but had there not been underlying reasons for the decision the head teacher would have been disciplined. I would hazard a guess it’s sensationalist journalism like the ‘police with broken bones’ in Bristol this week. I wouldn’t trust news that comes from a source who’s goal in life is to sell articles ..... certainly not to the point where you’re demanding a head teacher gets the sack from the other side of the world. "

I personally think it’s just that men don’t matter right now so no one cares. We’re all rapists and murderers in the media’s eyes

If the roles were reversed and all the women had to stand and apologise for being female this would be world news

No one should ever have to apologise for their gender. There’s no context that makes this ok. No context can make me say it’s acceptance to get a boy in year 7 to stand up and say sorry for being a boy

Best not do a re-make of Monty Python’s Life Of Brian then

By *asualandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Uxbridge

By the nature of chinese whispers combined with the media's desire to ham things up.

The reality almost always is far more mundane than the reports.

w

"Education minister was spot on with his comments.

"

Can you link what was said? I’m kinda split on what happened. Like if you know it’s gonna offend someone shouldn’t you just be polite and not?

South

[Removed by poster at 26/03/21 13:08:00]

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Respect to all.

This came out to be false in the end. The student who made the allegation in the beginning was questioned and she admitted she lied about it. "

Yes.

A teacher beheaded, the girl’s father serving a lengthy prison sentence and the girl wasn’t even in the class where she claimed the incident happened.

Bit of an abrupt lesson in why it’s not a good idea to make up stories.

South

"By the nature of chinese whispers combined with the media's desire to ham things up.

The reality almost always is far more mundane than the reports."

Exactly ......

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

""Another mother said the use of the material was "out of order and unacceptable" and said she may consider removing her child from the school"

Good idea, then the school can get rid of another narrow minded wanker and let the school get on with teaching"

But isn't the narrow minded one the parent not the child

w

Doesn’t it?

Not really... there is no back history about the culture of the school I’m assuming it’s high school - there maybe a culture of harassment there may have been incidents or the normalisation of harassment as there is in lots and lots of places. On the face of it yes extremely wrong but had there not been underlying reasons for the decision the head teacher would have been disciplined. I would hazard a guess it’s sensationalist journalism like the ‘police with broken bones’ in Bristol this week. I wouldn’t trust news that comes from a source who’s goal in life is to sell articles ..... certainly not to the point where you’re demanding a head teacher gets the sack from the other side of the world.

I personally think it’s just that men don’t matter right now so no one cares. We’re all rapists and murderers in the media’s eyes

If the roles were reversed and all the women had to stand and apologise for being female this would be world news

No one should ever have to apologise for their gender. There’s no context that makes this ok. No context can make me say it’s acceptance to get a boy in year 7 to stand up and say sorry for being a boy

I never said it was ok in that context ... if a high school student was harassing another then yes it’s perfectly ok to expect an apology.

Haha yeah whatever thanks for mansplaining female harassment .... if you think ‘being male’ means it’s ok to harass women then you’re part of the problem. "

I haven’t mentioned harassment at all so thanks for “woman-putting words in my mouth”.

If someone gets harassed an apology is needed. From that person.

Not every male in the school

South

Doesn’t it?

No one should ever have to apologise for their gender. There’s no context that makes this ok. No context can make me say it’s acceptance to get a boy in year 7 to stand up and say sorry for being a boy "

I never said it was ok in that context ... if a high school student was harassing another then yes it’s perfectly ok to expect an apology.

Haha yeah whatever thanks for mansplaining female harassment .... thinking ‘being male’ means it’s ok to harass women is the problem.

C'est moi Boudoir

Can you link what was said? I’m kinda split on what happened. Like if you know it’s gonna offend someone shouldn’t you just be polite and not? "

Isn't that censorship and where does it end?

w

"Haha yeah whatever thanks for mansplaining female harassment .... if you think ‘being male’ means it’s ok to harass women then you’re part of the problem.

I haven’t mentioned harassment at all so thanks for “woman-putting words in my mouth”.

Not every male in the school "

I always find it weird how people did this.

Can anyone here looking at anything I’ve written explain where she got the idea that “ if you think ‘being male’ means it’s ok to harass women”.

Genuinely curious.

w

Can you link what was said? I’m kinda split on what happened. Like if you know it’s gonna offend someone shouldn’t you just be polite and not?

Isn't that censorship and where does it end? "

That’s why I’m so split. Like we don’t swear because it’s offensive right?

It’s a difficult situation

C'est moi Boudoir

Respect to all.

That's just so so sad

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Respect to all.

Coincidently it was a religious studies class, discussing the outrage in France, and showed them a cartoon by Charlie hebdo. The satirical magazine which was forced into hiding and yes the teacher that was beheaded....

Tin town

"Haha yeah whatever thanks for mansplaining female harassment .... if you think ‘being male’ means it’s ok to harass women then you’re part of the problem.

Can anyone here looking at anything I’ve written explain where she got the idea that “ if you think ‘being male’ means it’s ok to harass women”.

Genuinely curious."

Sometimes people are looking for an argument and want to say what they want to say regardless.

This whole story annoys me. The Religious Studies teacher was leading a discussion on blasphemy and showed the Charlie Hebdo cartoon as an example.

The protesters, who aren't parents at the school, have published the teacher's name and address and forced him to go into hiding.

It is interesting to note that blasphemy is not a crime in the UK, antisemitic cartoons are often shown in history classes dealing with WWII and that the pupils seem to have put out a petition supporting the teacher.

There is nothing in the Koran that forbids depictions of the prophet, it is just an interpretation by some Islamic scholars, mostly Sunni. There are many paintings of him, but usually always with his face obscured.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"This whole story annoys me. The Religious Studies teacher was leading a discussion on blasphemy and showed the Charlie Hebdo cartoon as an example.

The protesters, who aren't parents at the school, have published the teacher's name and address and forced him to go into hiding.

It is interesting to note that blasphemy is not a crime in the UK, antisemitic cartoons are often shown in history classes dealing with WWII and that the pupils seem to have put out a petition supporting the teacher. "

Agree completely

Incidents like this just play into the hands of the likes of the daily mail.

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

The teacher might have been giving a lesson in blasphemy. In which case showing the pupils that image would have been justified. He is an R.E teacher. He is also now in hiding due to death threats received. It's highly unlikely that he showed them that image purely to provoke a reaction.

His suspension is, I suspect, to appease the few that have taken offence and made a lot of noise and to take the heat off.

Sad times

Colchester

"This whole story annoys me. The Religious Studies teacher was leading a discussion on blasphemy and showed the Charlie Hebdo cartoon as an example.

It is interesting to note that blasphemy is not a crime in the UK, antisemitic cartoons are often shown in history classes dealing with WWII and that the pupils seem to have put out a petition supporting the teacher.

Agree completely

Incidents like this just play into the hands of the likes of the daily mail."

It's on the BBC and Sky news

Tin town

So a religious studies teacher, teaching religious studies and discussing blasphemy basically doing their job has been disciplined and mob rule now has dictated he has had to go into hiding.. And that's appealing to daily mail in what way?

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

Genuinely curious."

theres lots of people on here who dont actually read what you write! BUT then answer what they think you might have/could have/perhaps/in their opinion said lol

The whole cartoon of Mohammad thing went crazy in france to remember?

Jesus christ OMG oh my God... are also offensive to christians but people use them all day long and dont give a fuck about being offensive or even consider it offensive... its always ok to rewrite and modernize the nativity play with star wars or.... and no one wants anyone sacked over it.

I think if you live in a modern progressive society and want free speech etc, then you also have to accept time will not stand still, which is why we dont punish people for doubting theres a god anymore and no longer jail homosexuals or.....

liverpool

"So a religious studies teacher, teaching religious studies and discussing blasphemy basically doing their job has been disciplined and mob rule now has dictated he has had to go into hiding.. And that's appealing to daily mail in what way? "

Because it gives them the right to get on their soapbox box.

The school has given way to extremists whist at the same time given credence to opinions voiced by the likes of Tommy Robinson.

A shit show all round.

South

Genuinely curious."

You said they were made to apologise for being male when they weren’t they were being made to apologise for the abuse and wrong doing that males had inflicted on females (not that I agree by the way)

South

Genuinely curious.

theres lots of people on here who dont actually read what you write! BUT then answer what they think you might have/could have/perhaps/in their opinion said lol

The whole cartoon of Mohammad thing went crazy in france to remember?

Jesus christ OMG oh my God... are also offensive to christians but people use them all day long and dont give a fuck about being offensive or even consider it offensive... its always ok to rewrite and modernize the nativity play with star wars or.... and no one wants anyone sacked over it.

I think if you live in a modern progressive society and want free speech etc, then you also have to accept time will not stand still, which is why we dont punish people for doubting theres a god anymore and no longer jail homosexuals or..... "

Nope ... it’s what he actually said

On a mooch

It’s a difficult situation "

How do you teach this generation what is offensive to some but not others, without giving them examples?

w

Genuinely curious.

You said they were made to apologise for being male when they weren’t they were being made to apologise for the abuse and wrong doing that males had inflicted on females (not that I agree by the way) "

Well let’s make sure all the Muslims stand up next time and apologise for the terrorists

Ridiculous statement right? Exactly

I don’t care what other men have done or other women or religions. Your responsible for your own actions

You shouldn’t be told to stand up and say sorry for your gender

South

Genuinely curious.

You said they were made to apologise for being male when they weren’t they were being made to apologise for the abuse and wrong doing that males had inflicted on females (not that I agree by the way)

Well let’s make sure all the Muslims stand up next time and apologise for the terrorists

Ridiculous statement right? Exactly

I don’t care what other men have done or other women or religions. Your responsible for your own actions

You shouldn’t be told to stand up and say sorry for your gender "

‘You don’t care’ says it all ..... I’m out.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

It is interesting to note that blasphemy is not a crime in the UK, antisemitic cartoons are often shown in history classes dealing with WWII and that the pupils seem to have put out a petition supporting the teacher. "

It makes me furious, entitled cockwombles again. If they don't want kids having a multi layered education then home school them. How are kids supposed to respect adults if they behave worse than the kids...

South

How do you teach this generation what is offensive to some but not others, without giving them examples? "

You can’t .... but some parents expect you to teach sex and relationship education without using the term penis too

On a mooch

How do you teach this generation what is offensive to some but not others, without giving them examples?

You can’t .... but some parents expect you to teach sex and relationship education without using the term penis too "

I’m aware of that one and filled out the consent form, although I was bemused by it.

You’ll never change how people think if can’t see issues from both sides and understand them.

South

You can’t .... but some parents expect you to teach sex and relationship education without using the term penis too

I’m aware of that one and filled out the consent form, although I was bemused by it.

You’ll never change how people think if can’t see issues from both sides and understand them. "

The key is you can’t please all the people ... and RSE is new this year so understand the reticence but please people call a penis a penis

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

How do you teach this generation what is offensive to some but not others, without giving them examples? "

The point about swearing . Going back a lot of years. If in a pub etc and someone used fuck or similar words. Then landlord would tell person to stop using offensive language or even ask person to leave. Now very common everywhere . Seen parents do in front of children etc .

w

The point about swearing . Going back a lot of years. If in a pub etc and someone used fuck or similar words. Then landlord would tell person to stop using offensive language or even ask person to leave. Now very common everywhere . Seen parents do in front of children etc . "

What’s the context this was brought up though?

Like if he just brings up this picture with no warning then yeah he should be in trouble.

But if he gave people the chance to leave before then he’s all good

Personal responsibility is a big thing to me. No one cares how you feel. Either get over it or fuck off

Tin town

"So a religious studies teacher, teaching religious studies and discussing blasphemy basically doing their job has been disciplined and mob rule now has dictated he has had to go into hiding.. And that's appealing to daily mail in what way?

The school has given way to extremists whist at the same time given credence to opinions voiced by the likes of Tommy Robinson.

A shit show all round."

I think getting people... on soapboxes for this issue is important. We can't have a religious group or any other group persecuting and threatening a teacher for doing their job. Haven't school kids had enough disruption already this year. Tommy Robinson has nothing to do with it. Wrong is wrong.

By *onny123300Man  over a year ago

fleetwood

Isn't that censorship and where does it end? "

it's very sad that opinions and comments can no longer be freely expressed .free speech is no longer ! In many cases even considered a crime ! It seems people choose to be offended ..we can't all like or approve of how people live but that's NOT hate just an opinion ...just saying .

On a mooch

You’ll never change how people think if can’t see issues from both sides and understand them.

The key is you can’t please all the people ... and RSE is new this year so understand the reticence but please people call a penis a penis "

I think that is what we call PSHE. We’ve always been given the topics for this and RE in advance so aware of what is going to be discussed and ready for the questions at home to.

liverpool

"So a religious studies teacher, teaching religious studies and discussing blasphemy basically doing their job has been disciplined and mob rule now has dictated he has had to go into hiding.. And that's appealing to daily mail in what way?

A shit show all round.

I think getting people... on soapboxes for this issue is important. We can't have a religious group or any other group persecuting and threatening a teacher for doing their job. Haven't school kids had enough disruption already this year. Tommy Robinson has nothing to do with it. Wrong is wrong. "

You are missing my point.

The school is wrong in this instance in my opinion.

However by giving in to the howls of protest they are also giving ammunition who use false stories to create even more hostility and division.

The next time the likes of the mail prints a bogus Muslim story ,people are going to remember this incident,and be more inclined to believe it.

Tin town

The point about swearing . Going back a lot of years. If in a pub etc and someone used fuck or similar words. Then landlord would tell person to stop using offensive language or even ask person to leave. Now very common everywhere . Seen parents do in front of children etc .

What’s the context this was brought up though?

Like if he just brings up this picture with no warning then yeah he should be in trouble.

But if he gave people the chance to leave before then he’s all good

Personal responsibility is a big thing to me. No one cares how you feel. Either get over it or fuck off"

I believe it was a discussion. About blasphemy. I may be wrong.

Trouble is.. RE as it was.. Was compulsory at my school. I'm not religious, didn't like it, but as I reflect back on it it helped me understand something better, that is very important to many people. If you let people duck out of important parts of education, they wont learn and education is so important in breaking down barriers.

Tin town

A shit show all round.

I think getting people... on soapboxes for this issue is important. We can't have a religious group or any other group persecuting and threatening a teacher for doing their job. Haven't school kids had enough disruption already this year. Tommy Robinson has nothing to do with it. Wrong is wrong.

However by giving in to the howls of protest they are also giving ammunition who use false stories to create even more hostility and division.

The next time the likes of the mail prints a bogus Muslim story ,people are going to remember this incident,and be more inclined to believe it."

Well that's true. Out of interest what is it that the school have done that you think is wrong?

liverpool

A shit show all round.

The next time the likes of the mail prints a bogus Muslim story ,people are going to remember this incident,and be more inclined to believe it.

Well that's true. Out of interest what is it that the school have done that you think is wrong? "

I think they should have backed the teacher.

They have given into mob indignation.

liverpool

I also don't think it's right that only 1 religion cannot be offended.

Why is it that Muslims always have to gather in numbers and protest, often making demands that this should happen and that etc.

I bet some of them protesters do not have children attending that school.

If anything the sane and level headed muslims in the community know the damage these troublemaking protestors do.

They cause division and fear of them because they are associated with violence and violent acts towards strangers like Lee rigby and those in London who were attacked.

And you shouldn't be deemed to be a racist by saying that.

If this teacher held up a cartoon of Jesus who would of complained?

Jesus is just as an important figure to Christians Roman Catholics etc. I don't get mad when the local Jehovah witness knock on the door or put magazine through the letterbox?

Nor do I start chasing them door the street or cut there heads off because I feel threatened and offended by their magazine.

It's a overreaction and typical of modern society that feels intimidated by everything and everyone.

A simple conversation 1-1 with parents and the teacher would of been enough to get to the bottom of it Not to start picketing the school,harassing others and making statements that make all Muslims sound like crybabys and attention seekers.

This is a Christian country that is more tolerant of other faiths and religion than most on this planet.

And if that's not enough then live in one where your faith is the law instead of telling others what should be the law.

It's not racist to have an opinion.

C'est moi Boudoir

It’s a difficult situation "

Says who, I swear. I don't go out of my way to offend people but wheres the line. People can be very easily offended and in certain situations asking people not to say something is in itself offensive

w

"Why is it that Muslims always have to gather in numbers and protest, often making demands that this should happen and that etc.

If anything the sane and level headed muslims in the community know the damage these troublemaking protestors do.

They cause division and fear of them because they are associated with violence and violent acts towards strangers like Lee rigby and those in London who were attacked.

Jesus is just as an important figure to Christians Roman Catholics etc. I don't get mad when the local Jehovah witness knock on the door or put magazine through the letterbox?

Nor do I start chasing them door the street or cut there heads off because I feel threatened and offended by their magazine.

It's a overreaction and typical of modern society that feels intimidated by everything and everyone.

A simple conversation 1-1 with parents and the teacher would of been enough to get to the bottom of it Not to start picketing the school,harassing others and making statements that make all Muslims sound like crybabys and attention seekers.

This is a Christian country that is more tolerant of other faiths and religion than most on this planet.

And if that's not enough then live in one where your faith is the law instead of telling others what should be the law.

It's not racist to have an opinion."

I think an opinion can be racist though.

And I think you have a right as a person being educated by the government education system to say “this offends me and I would like to not take part in this section”.

That’s where context comes in.

If he gave them a warning and a Chance to not take part then he’s all good. Like I said above, go fuck your feelings, education is more important than how you feel and you can leave if you want

w

Says who, I swear. I don't go out of my way to offend people but wheres the line. People can be very easily offended and in certain situations asking people not to say something is in itself offensive "

I dunno it’s hard isn’t it. I try to be empathetic and put myself in their shoes.

There’s things that offend me. If someone knew it offends me and did it anyways that’s not something I want in society.

If they said before “hey I’m about to do that thing you don’t like, I gotta do it coz these people want to know, but you can go if you’d like and I can let you know when we are done” then that’s all good. That’s fine by me

Tin town

A shit show all round.

Well that's true. Out of interest what is it that the school have done that you think is wrong?

They have given into mob indignation. "

Bloody hell Lionel we agree! Absolutely they should not give in to a mob that are not even linked to the school.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

For a teacher to show this cartoon to his pupils, really shows how ill educated they are on the history of that particular cartoon and the religion of their pupils and parents thereof.

I do hope nothing bad happens to themof course and those who decided to be offended by it, , forgive the teachers ignorance

liverpool

A shit show all round.

Bloody hell Lionel we agree! Absolutely they should not give in to a mob that are not even linked to the school. "

I think it sets a dangerous precedent and like I said before just creates even more division on both sides.

The poster made an excellent point above regarding the anti semitic cartoons used in teaching about the nazis.

Do we only teach the parts of history now which doesnt offend anyone?

South

The key is you can’t please all the people ... and RSE is new this year so understand the reticence but please people call a penis a penis

I think that is what we call PSHE. We’ve always been given the topics for this and RE in advance so aware of what is going to be discussed and ready for the questions at home to. "

It’s now called RSE since September a change in curriculum - Relationship and Sex Education is mandatory. PSHE still exists

liverpool

"For a teacher to show this cartoon to his pupils, really shows how ill educated they are on the history of that particular cartoon and the religion of their pupils and parents thereof.

I do hope nothing bad happens to themof course and those who decided to be offended by it, , forgive the teachers ignorance"

Are you saying the teacher is ignorant?

Tin town

Says who, I swear. I don't go out of my way to offend people but wheres the line. People can be very easily offended and in certain situations asking people not to say something is in itself offensive

I dunno it’s hard isn’t it. I try to be empathetic and put myself in their shoes.

There’s things that offend me. If someone knew it offends me and did it anyways that’s not something I want in society.

If they said before “hey I’m about to do that thing you don’t like, I gotta do it coz these people want to know, but you can go if you’d like and I can let you know when we are done” then that’s all good. That’s fine by me "

Which is I believe the discussion the teacher in France had with his pupils... They decided to stay. And then chased him and beheaded him.

liverpool

If they said before “hey I’m about to do that thing you don’t like, I gotta do it coz these people want to know, but you can go if you’d like and I can let you know when we are done” then that’s all good. That’s fine by me

Which is I believe the discussion the teacher in France had with his pupils... They decided to stay. And then chased him and beheaded him. "

I'd be amazed if the teacher here,didnt do the same.

Motherwell

"Why is it that Muslims always have to gather in numbers and protest, often making demands that this should happen and that etc.

And I think you have a right as a person being educated by the government education system to say “this offends me and I would like to not take part in this section”.

If he gave them a warning and a Chance to not take part then he’s all good. Like I said above, go fuck your feelings, education is more important than how you feel and you can leave if you want "

by your rational, I am offended by Math, English, all sciences, P.E, S.E, H.E, history etc etc.

ok, you need not come to school anymore.

On a mooch

I think that is what we call PSHE. We’ve always been given the topics for this and RE in advance so aware of what is going to be discussed and ready for the questions at home to.

It’s now called RSE since September a change in curriculum - Relationship and Sex Education is mandatory. PSHE still exists "

Thanks RSE hasn’t hit the timetable as yet. Maybe summer term, although he had a week of sex ed in year 6, that was an interesting and at times funny conversation

w

If he gave them a warning and a Chance to not take part then he’s all good. Like I said above, go fuck your feelings, education is more important than how you feel and you can leave if you want

by your rational, I am offended by Math, English, all sciences, P.E, S.E, H.E, history etc etc.

"

That’s your right to do so. Good luck in your career

liverpool

"

A rather ridiculous argument.

Motherwell

"For a teacher to show this cartoon to his pupils, really shows how ill educated they are on the history of that particular cartoon and the religion of their pupils and parents thereof.

I do hope nothing bad happens to themof course and those who decided to be offended by it, , forgive the teachers ignorance

Are you saying the teacher is ignorant?"

Yes.

The teacher appears to be ignorant of the history of that cartoon, what has happened because of it, and how deeply enranged some Muslims can become when images of the prophet are created or shared.

You dont think the teacher diplayed ignorance?

Tin town

A shit show all round.

Bloody hell Lionel we agree! Absolutely they should not give in to a mob that are not even linked to the school.

I think it sets a dangerous precedent and like I said before just creates even more division on both sides.

The poster made an excellent point above regarding the anti semitic cartoons used in teaching about the nazis.

Do we only teach the parts of history now which doesnt offend anyone?"

I think we should also allow teachers to make mistakes and learn from them without getting them sacked, into hiding or beheaded. (not that I'm suggesting the teacher made a mistake as I don't know the details). But assuming he did... Wouldn't it have been better had the local mob have supported the teacher and just explained how better to lead that part of the discussion without causing offence?

Motherwell

A rather ridiculous argument. "

It may seem idiculous and to be honest it is a slight exaggeration, however from my time at school, if a pupil is shown any way to get off with not attending a class, many will use it, this is why i made the example.

C'est moi Boudoir

If they said before “hey I’m about to do that thing you don’t like, I gotta do it coz these people want to know, but you can go if you’d like and I can let you know when we are done” then that’s all good. That’s fine by me "

It's definitely situational.

Sadly like the case here, a lot will zip and cave to pressure.

liverpool

Yes.

The teacher appears to be ignorant of the history of that cartoon, what has happened because of it, and how deeply enranged some Muslims can become when images of the prophet are created or shared.

You dont think the teacher diplayed ignorance?"

I believe the teacher was teaching about how the cartoon caused offence with the Charlie hebdo incident.

I'm presuming part of the lesson would be too show the offending cartoon.

So no..I believe he was far from ignorant.

london

Yes.

You dont think the teacher diplayed ignorance?"

I'd say he was brave, some might say foolish (almost the same thing).

South

It’s now called RSE since September a change in curriculum - Relationship and Sex Education is mandatory. PSHE still exists

Thanks RSE hasn’t hit the timetable as yet. Maybe summer term, although he had a week of sex ed in year 6, that was an interesting and at times funny conversation "

Haha it starts in KS1 now was mandatory from Sep with a bit of covid flex. (Obviously age appropriate)

liverpool

A shit show all round.

Do we only teach the parts of history now which doesnt offend anyone?

I think we should also allow teachers to make mistakes and learn from them without getting them sacked, into hiding or beheaded. (not that I'm suggesting the teacher made a mistake as I don't know the details). But assuming he did... Wouldn't it have been better had the local mob have supported the teacher and just explained how better to lead that part of the discussion without causing offence? "

We dont know the full story yet tbh.

If he has asked anyone who would take offence to leave the room,we are on very shaky ground.

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Marlborough

Well one is in Batley, the other is in Warrnambool.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

liverpool

Well one is in Batley, the other is in Warrnambool.

Maybe that has something to do with it?"

Did that actually happen,?

Notts

If he gave them a warning and a Chance to not take part then he’s all good. Like I said above, go fuck your feelings, education is more important than how you feel and you can leave if you want "

Darwin got a lot of shit for his ideas on evolution, if people had just refused to listen because it was against God.... well we wouldnt have a vaccine now lol coz healing people is Gods work!

That is why we have education and shutting it down coz it offends you is dangerous territory!

Motherwell

Yes.

You dont think the teacher diplayed ignorance?

I believe the teacher was teaching about how the cartoon caused offence with the Charlie hebdo incident.

I'm presuming part of the lesson would be too show the offending cartoon.

So no..I believe he was far from ignorant."

really though, there was no need to show it, knowing how angry it can make people, if the pupils wanted to see it, they could easily google itater.

w

Darwin got a lot of shit for his ideas on evolution, if people had just refused to listen because it was against God.... well we wouldnt have a vaccine now lol coz healing people is Gods work!

That is why we have education and shutting it down coz it offends you is dangerous territory! "

No ones shutting it down. We’re just warning you and giving you the option to leave

london

That is why we have education and shutting it down coz it offends you is dangerous territory! "

Notts

That is why we have education and shutting it down coz it offends you is dangerous territory!

No ones shutting it down. We’re just warning you and giving you the option to leave "

LOL so we all leave darwin standing in his school room coz what hes saying just aint right! he could be a witch with what hes saying... i didnt even listen to the crank and walked... yeah wonderful idea lol

w

No ones shutting it down. We’re just warning you and giving you the option to leave

LOL so we all leave darwin standing in his school room coz what hes saying just aint right! he could be a witch with what hes saying... i didnt even listen to the crank and walked... yeah wonderful idea lol "

I think it’s equally as unfair to shove science down someone’s face as it is religion.

If you wanna leave go ahead and wish you the best in your career.

The smart people will keep on learning and getting better.

Plus, this only really applies to religion. No one really is gonna skip out on maths for these reason and even if they, good luck on the career!

Personal responsibility

Notts

LOL so we all leave darwin standing in his school room coz what hes saying just aint right! he could be a witch with what hes saying... i didnt even listen to the crank and walked... yeah wonderful idea lol

I think it’s equally as unfair to shove science down someone’s face as it is religion.

If you wanna leave go ahead and wish you the best in your career.

The smart people will keep on learning and getting better.

Plus, this only really applies to religion. No one really is gonna skip out on maths for these reason and even if they, good luck on the career!

Personal responsibility "

if you skip the lessons on evolution or maths or..... you will never grasp the thinking behind it, it DIVIDES society, because one group doesnt believe in evolution or even understand it, they believe in the sun God, and next door believes in Neptune god of the seas....

why shouldnt they? no one has explained any different, there are witches! How else can a plane fly!

oh dear,

Notts

ps the clue is in the name education!

w

"ps the clue is in the name education!"

It’s quite the leap to go from

“I don’t want to see a picture of Mohammed as it offends me”

To

“DaRwIn IsNt ReAl!”

The teacher may have been showing that picture to demonstrate to the class why we should embrace all faiths and religions.

the kids tell a different story to the parents and all hell breaks loose.

I always feel find it amazing that these so called Muslims that are protesting and kicking off about a picture never do the same about the sexual offences and grooming commitment by people in that community.

They turn a blind eye to that.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

It's not racist to have an opinion."

Well said

Notts

"ps the clue is in the name education!

To

“DaRwIn IsNt ReAl!”"

Not really, its about ignoring information you dont want to hear... an example of that which everyone knows, because its taught in schools, is darwin and how his views were anti God... so its a perfect example!

w

To

“DaRwIn IsNt ReAl!”

Not really, its about ignoring information you dont want to hear... an example of that which everyone knows, because its taught in schools, is darwin and how his views were anti God... so its a perfect example! "

It’s a terrible example because despite all that it’s a fact today and taught in schools. Proof that if people wanna be offended and leave they can. The truth and science will prevail

Notts

To

“DaRwIn IsNt ReAl!”

Not really, its about ignoring information you dont want to hear... an example of that which everyone knows, because its taught in schools, is darwin and how his views were anti God... so its a perfect example!

It’s a terrible example because despite all that it’s a fact today and taught in schools. Proof that if people wanna be offended and leave they can. The truth and science will prevail "

Despite all that.... what? you want me to use an example that is not a fact today! How would that work as an example? lol You are right about one thing, your name!

Notts

"

thank god some people can see the light!

Tin town

.. And yet the school have apologised "unequivocally" and suspensed the teacher and have allowed their pupils to be bullied by a mob of adults so much thatbthey have had to close the school.

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

Aahhh religion! The cause of nearly ever war in the world, the cause of hatred and poverty and neighbours fighting throughout the world, where would we be withoiut religion? We would live in a kinder much more peaceful world I imagine.

As for the OP subject, totally unbeleivable and yet anothe overeaction from the PC mad idiots.

By *ukkake coupleCouple  over a year ago

herts

World has gone bad. Free speech but only when is suits

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

""Another mother said the use of the material was "out of order and unacceptable" and said she may consider removing her child from the school"

Good idea, then the school can get rid of another narrow minded wanker and let the school get on with teaching"

Spot on.

liverpool

"Aahhh religion! The cause of nearly ever war in the world, the cause of hatred and poverty and neighbours fighting throughout the world, where would we be withoiut religion? We would live in a kinder much more peaceful world I imagine.

As for the OP subject, totally unbeleivable and yet anothe overeaction from the PC mad idiots."

What pc mad idiots would these be again?

Respect needs to work 2 ways.

Don't offend others.

Don't suppress freedom of expression.

Notts

"Aahhh religion! The cause of nearly ever war in the world, the cause of hatred and poverty and neighbours fighting throughout the world, where would we be withoiut religion? We would live in a kinder much more peaceful world I imagine.

As for the OP subject, totally unbeleivable and yet anothe overeaction from the PC mad idiots."

its easy to use religion as an excuse for shitty behavior, god said, god says... so i did his bidding la la la when really its just hiding behind the bible to get your own wants... god never said start a war or sack a teacher! people did

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

It is obviously causing distress and offence to Muslims. But could a Muslim or somebody who knows and understands please explain why a cartoon is so offensive. I am sure everybody has seen many cartoons of Jesus or the Christian god and it doesn't create such an issue. So please can somebody explain why it causes such an issue. Understanding why always helps others.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

...but marrying a 9 year old is OK then?

w

"It is obviously causing distress and offence to Muslims. But could a Muslim or somebody who knows and understands please explain why a cartoon is so offensive. I am sure everybody has seen many cartoons of Jesus or the Christian god and it doesn't create such an issue. So please can somebody explain why it causes such an issue. Understanding why always helps others."

It’s written in their religion to not draw or imitate or pretend to know what he looks like. It’s considered a sin and highly offensive

Notts

There is no specific, or explicit ban in the Koran, the holy book of Islam, on images of Allah or the Prophet Muhammad - be they carved, painted or drawn.

However, chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

This is taken by Muslims to mean that Allah cannot be captured in an image by human hand, such is his beauty and grandeur. To attempt such a thing is seen as an insult to Allah.

The same is believed to apply to Muhammad.

Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran reads: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

From this arises the Muslim belief that images can give rise to idolatry - that is to say an image, rather than the divine being it symbolises, can become the object of worship and veneration.

There is similar in bible about images of false gods.....

Notts

Islamic tradition or Hadiths, the stories of the words and actions of Muhammad and his Companions, prohibits images of Allah, Muhammad and all the major prophets of the Christian and Jewish traditions.

More widely, Islamic tradition has discouraged the figurative depiction of living creatures, especially human beings. Islamic art has therefore tended to be abstract or decorative.

Shia Islamic tradition is far less strict on this ban. Reproductions of images of the Prophet, mainly produced in the 7th Century in Persia, can be found.

Tin town

Nicely done. So what would you propose to resolve the issue?

Tin town

"It is obviously causing distress and offence to Muslims. But could a Muslim or somebody who knows and understands please explain why a cartoon is so offensive. I am sure everybody has seen many cartoons of Jesus or the Christian god and it doesn't create such an issue. So please can somebody explain why it causes such an issue. Understanding why always helps others."

I think it depends who you ask and the interpretation of the messages of the Koran. Some..are more literal that n others, some more fundamental and some more Liberal.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"World has gone bad. Free speech but only when is suits "

Gone mad? Now? You know how many people have been killed in the name of Christianity over hundreds of years for worshipping false idols?

Sounds like you've just got an axe to grind. Feel like you're being left in the past maybe?

Tin town

"Islamic tradition or Hadiths, the stories of the words and actions of Muhammad and his Companions, prohibits images of Allah, Muhammad and all the major prophets of the Christian and Jewish traditions.

More widely, Islamic tradition has discouraged the figurative depiction of living creatures, especially human beings. Islamic art has therefore tended to be abstract or decorative.

Shia Islamic tradition is far less strict on this ban. Reproductions of images of the Prophet, mainly produced in the 7th Century in Persia, can be found."

Every days a school day (well... Not in batley obvs)... Thanks for schooling... Is it also accurate that some of the interpretations "aren't as offended if at all" by such images and some of the more extreme or fundamental interpretations take up offence...? Or is it unambiguous and all interpretations are driven to zealous outrage.?

Notts

"It is obviously causing distress and offence to Muslims. But could a Muslim or somebody who knows and understands please explain why a cartoon is so offensive. I am sure everybody has seen many cartoons of Jesus or the Christian god and it doesn't create such an issue. So please can somebody explain why it causes such an issue. Understanding why always helps others.

I think it depends who you ask and the interpretation of the messages of the Koran. Some..are more literal that n others, some more fundamental and some more Liberal.

"

anyone seen the blackadder sketch where the zealous christian bans vegetables that look like genitals, as they are the devils work lol

Notts

What guidance is there for teachers?

There are no specific national rules in the UK about using images of the Prophet Muhammad.

Guidance in England from the Department for Education says religious education should provoke questions about beliefs, and also teach pupils to "develop respect for… people with different faiths and beliefs".

Religious education syllabuses are often influenced by local bodies which advise on whether they are suitable for the particular area.

In Kirklees borough, where Batley Grammar School is located, the syllabus says children should be "give[n] reasons why visual representation of God and the prophets is forbidden (haram) in Islam," by the end of Key Stage 2.

Pupils should also understand "key religious values including democracy, human rights, rule of law, secularism, freedom of expression and tolerance" - this is taught in Key Stage 3.

So i would say the teacher if sacked will sue the arse off the school

I don't think your first paragraph is true. Religion may cause minor conflicts, but almost all wars are fought for power and wealth. Even the Crusades a thousand years ago were more about control of lucrative trade routes - religion just defined the combatants, not the cause. WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Korea, Crimea, Falklands, Alexander of Macedonia, Mzilikazi of Africa, Ghengi Khan, Roman conquest, Viking marauders etc - none of these were primarily for religious purposes.

Love it or hate it, religion has been the cause of great charity - Red Cross, Salvation Army etc and great art - Cistine Chapel, DaVinci, renaissance etc.

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

All religions should be fair game for satire but is the classroom the right place? It seems like the pupils will have had no choice but to be exposed to the material. That's different to a film like Life of Brian that people can watch or not watch.

I went to a Catholic school and was given no warning before being subjected to an infamous anti-abortion film called The Silent Scream. Pure pro-life propaganda designed to indoctrinate impressionable teenagers.

By *atonMan  over a year ago

barnet

Religion should be taught subjectively in an historical context and all the major religions should be given equal tuition time. I am an anti theist and agnostic but I understand the significance of religion.

By *atonMan  over a year ago

barnet

As for the OP subject, totally unbeleivable and yet anothe overeaction from the PC mad idiots.

I don't think your first paragraph is true. Religion may cause minor conflicts, but almost all wars are fought for power and wealth. Even the Crusades a thousand years ago were more about control of lucrative trade routes - religion just defined the combatants, not the cause. WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Korea, Crimea, Falklands, Alexander of Macedonia, Mzilikazi of Africa, Ghengi Khan, Roman conquest, Viking marauders etc - none of these were primarily for religious purposes.

Love it or hate it, religion has been the cause of great charity - Red Cross, Salvation Army etc and great art - Cistine Chapel, DaVinci, renaissance etc."

I agree religion inspires people to act in kindness and altruism however dogma is insidious and young minds should not be privy to indoctrination.

liverpool

"All religions should be fair game for satire but is the classroom the right place? It seems like the pupils will have had no choice but to be exposed to the material. That's different to a film like Life of Brian that people can watch or not watch.

I went to a Catholic school and was given no warning before being subjected to an infamous anti-abortion film called The Silent Scream. Pure pro-life propaganda designed to indoctrinate impressionable teenagers."

I domt think it was satite..it was just teaching what happened

Like a previous poster made the point about nazis and the anti semitic cartoons.

Imagine teaching a lesson about nazis using cartoons but we cant actually show you the cartoons.

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"All religions should be fair game for satire but is the classroom the right place? It seems like the pupils will have had no choice but to be exposed to the material. That's different to a film like Life of Brian that people can watch or not watch.

I went to a Catholic school and was given no warning before being subjected to an infamous anti-abortion film called The Silent Scream. Pure pro-life propaganda designed to indoctrinate impressionable teenagers.

I domt think it was satite..it was just teaching what happened

Like a previous poster made the point about nazis and the anti semitic cartoons.

Imagine teaching a lesson about nazis using cartoons but we cant actually show you the cartoons."

It's a very tricky line to draw I agree but schools don't always get it right.

Further to the above example, parental consent was needed for basic sex education at the same age but not to show us foetuses in dustbins.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"All religions should be fair game for satire but is the classroom the right place? It seems like the pupils will have had no choice but to be exposed to the material. That's different to a film like Life of Brian that people can watch or not watch."

I think there's a clear duality that needs to be acknowledged. You have your rights and freedoms, yet you also have the daily world you live in. Feels like the teacher was being edgy or something, and to do something in a classroom that you *KNOW* is controversial (even it it shouldn't be) seemed pretty tasteless to me.

Same largely feels true from the narrative over Sarah Everard. Women have the *right* to be out at any time, but that doesn't stop the real life dangers existing. These things need to be split in half, theory vs practise.

Notts

"What guidance is there for teachers?

There are no specific national rules in the UK about using images of the Prophet Muhammad.

Guidance in England from the Department for Education says religious education should provoke questions about beliefs, and also teach pupils to "develop respect for… people with different faiths and beliefs".

Religious education syllabuses are often influenced by local bodies which advise on whether they are suitable for the particular area.

In Kirklees borough, where Batley Grammar School is located, the syllabus says children should be "give[n] reasons why visual representation of God and the prophets is forbidden (haram) in Islam," by the end of Key Stage 2.

Pupils should also understand "key religious values including democracy, human rights, rule of law, secularism, freedom of expression and tolerance" - this is taught in Key Stage 3.

So i would say the teacher if sacked will sue the arse off the school "

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Why do we allow religious people to be so sensitive? Try and imagine if Showing a cartoon of David, Moses, Thor, Wodin, Isis, Buddha and the like, would get parents in a tizzy. They should grow up and question what they read.

Imagine if the Pope issued orders to burn down a factory making little plastic Jesus-gives-a-thumbs-up statue. Whose side would you be on? Where is the tolerance. (Leave this religion and you are dead to me; such love and understanding)

So why make this difference for Islam, it isn't that tolerant of victims of sexual assault. Women are to blame, not the men...sharia law is lovely, don't ya fink?

Cast the first stone anyone?

Islamaphobia is a bad label.

Islam = religion of Mohamed,(Sunni, Shia, Sufi...)

Phobia = fear of something

So those people who are scared of Islam/offending it, are actually the ones who are phobic.

» Add a new message to this topic