FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > tour de france

tour de france

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

have to admit.. for all the football, and the other sports.. this has to be my favourite annual event...

Common Bradly Wiggins... This is your time, you have won 3 major events so far this season... now is the time to make yourself a legend!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ild Bill Thickcock.Man  over a year ago

Wet Beaver Creek

I quite fancy a couple of hours on an old bike

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

is the yank a cheat ? i think so

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I love the tour especially when it gets in to the mountains and the cat and mouse starts, when you say yank do you mean lance Armstrong? If so I'd have to say no because its never been proved, if you mean Floyd landis then yes he is, or you could mean cadel Evans or Levi liphimmer, think you need to be more specific

Newcastle and Gateshead

pssst.... cadel's an aussie....

lance armstrong must have been the worlds most tested person and he never failed one....

so much for "presumed innocence"......

Not much difference between aussies and Americans lol, yeah read one of Armstrongs books and he used to average 2 tests a week every week for 9 years

By *hickencurryCouple  over a year ago

brisbane

epo wasn't traceable during his early glory years, funny how he won't allow his stored samples to be tested for it though ? when tommy voeckler said it was easier these days to defend the yellow jersey as the whole tour was a bit slower. Plenty to read between the lines there. Tour starts today time to get the bianchi out

THere's lots of stories out there about him Floyd landis said he was in the same room while they took stuff together, but the facts are he's never been court out, not saying he never did it but never got caught, so we would have to say he isn't a cheat, I do think team sky have taken too much on aiming for both green yellow and hopefully white lynsey's

brisbane

yeah be interesting to see how cav gets on without a lead out train burying themselves for him every day. Wiggins just be good to see him stay in contention till the end & hopefully pull it off

YEah I think cav will miss mark renshaw to lead him out, wiggins is the favourite I'd say so the team will look after him as much as they can

Cav isn't in particularly good sprinting form right now anyway should get a few stages though. Sky will be keeping wiggo protected at the front of the race so cav will also be well positioned. With only one man to look after him though will probably sit on another sprinters wheel for the final part

"

lance armstrong must have been the worlds most tested person and he never failed one....

"

The world's most tested athlete is just one of the many lies pushed by him. The reality is that he is not even the most tested American cyclist called Armstrong, that honour falls to Kirsten Armstrong.

By *orfolk_single_guyMan  over a year ago

norwich

"Cav isn't in particularly good sprinting form right now anyway should get a few stages though. Sky will be keeping wiggo protected at the front of the race so cav will also be well positioned. With only one man to look after him though will probably sit on another sprinters wheel for the final part"

I'm sure I'd heard that Cav has changed his training because he's concentrating on the olympics.

Brad's second at the moment, but the Yellow Jersey looks in top form.

brisbane

cancellara is awesome, not a climber though. Anyone else think cadel evans looks like tubbs from the league of gentlemen?

Glad to see some cycling fans on here

Wiggo for yellow, Cav for green and hope team sky keep their yellow helmets lol.

As for Lance Armstrong - read his book. Whether you believe he took drugs or not the guy was an awesome athlete And is an inspirational cancer survivor. Anyone that Eddie Mercx describes as the best cyclist of all time will always get my vote x

THis maybe me been sceptical but it appears to me that the organisers have made a concerted effort to prevent cav from winning too many stages, and the green jersey, 2 of the 3 stages have finished up a cat 4 climb which has never been heard of in the first week, also why if they are finishing up a cat 4 why are the points going to the green jersey not the kom, I smell a conspiracy

I fear SKY are too confident. Cav did his stage win pretty much unaided and no massive qualms with that. But why on earth has Edvard Boassen Hagan contested 2 finishes already? He's there as a domestique and should be saving himself. Cadel's team are all working for him and will be fresher come the mountains.

"THis maybe me been sceptical but it appears to me that the organisers have made a concerted effort to prevent cav from winning too many stages, and the green jersey, 2 of the 3 stages have finished up a cat 4 climb which has never been heard of in the first week, also why if they are finishing up a cat 4 why are the points going to the green jersey not the kom, I smell a conspiracy"

You are wrong, it's not unheard of. And stage 1 was never going to be flat partially because of where it was located and partially because the Belgian organisers were always going to want a stage to suit Gilbert. Those hilly finishes eliminate all Cav's main rivals too so hardly a conspiracy against him.

By *ove2-shareCouple  over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

"THere's lots of stories out there about him Floyd landis said he was in the same room while they took stuff together, but the facts are he's never been court out, not saying he never did it but never got caught, so we would have to say he isn't a cheat, I do think team sky have taken too much on aiming for both green yellow and hopefully white lynsey's"

sky arent aiming or the green jersey. Cavendish had to go it alone and admits that he will have to pick of wins as and when he can

"THere's lots of stories out there about him Floyd landis said he was in the same room while they took stuff together, but the facts are he's never been court out, not saying he never did it but never got caught, so we would have to say he isn't a cheat, I do think team sky have taken too much on aiming for both green yellow and hopefully white lynsey's

sky arent aiming or the green jersey. Cavendish had to go it alone and admits that he will have to pick of wins as and when he can

"

For a rider not going for the Green, Cav is very active in the intermediates so far.

Newcastle and Gateshead

the stages so far have been more suited towards "classics" riders rather then "tour" riders.... which was going to suit the gilberts and the boasen Hagens rather the cavs....

looking forward to the weekend when all the fun in the mountains should start...

By *reenonionsMan  over a year ago

Nr Exeter

[Removed by poster at 04/07/12 09:33:13]

Nr Exeter

Erm , domestiques aren't there to save themselves. They ride possibly the hardest and are rarely In the GC.

Cav - let's see where he ends up, if you watched all of stage 2, you would have seen he was in effect towed to the last 10 k's by other people so as usual will fizzle when the real work starts - bring on the col du Madeleine.

Armstrong has always offered all the samples for testing and had to force the French authorities to consider them - that's what ended the last lot of rubbish like this - anyone with his VO2 max is bound to perform and thus be contested - amazing athlete and a genuinely nice and good humored guy.

Can anyone remember Rob Millar in the Pyranees back in the 80's - inspired!!!!!

Best sport event and the guys dont complaint. Footballers could learn from them

Nr Exeter

[Removed by poster at 04/07/12 09:43:38]

Nr Exeter

Jesus - I love cycling, always have!!

I've ridden ventoux, d'huez and loved telemar, done the endless switchbacks of Madeleine and nearly wiped out on the descent, visited the factory where my beloved Belleri St Ettien bars were made and shaken the hand of people like Cipollini, Millar, Fignon and the uniballer himself.

I just wish my body was stronger when I was in my 20's and I could have competed. Ahhhh - it's great to be alive!!

By *YLINDERCouple  over a year ago

CARDIFF

i m just enjoying looking at the mens legs and bums.....

By *a and kaCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire(ish)

Thanks for the post, I haven't listened to Kraftwerk in ages!

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Jesus - I love cycling, always have!!

I've ridden ventoux, d'huez and loved telemar, done the endless switchbacks of Madeleine and nearly wiped out on the descent, visited the factory where my beloved Belleri St Ettien bars were made and shaken the hand of people like Cipollini, Millar, Fignon and the uniballer himself.

I just wish my body was stronger when I was in my 20's and I could have competed. Ahhhh - it's great to be alive!!"

I always wanted to be a "mountain goat"... lol i love just watching all the mountain stages.... I have always said they should just do a mountain time trial going from nearest town at the bottom to the top of alp d'huez...

from a spectator point of _iew that would be epic!

"Jesus - I love cycling, always have!!

I just wish my body was stronger when I was in my 20's and I could have competed. Ahhhh - it's great to be alive!!

I always wanted to be a "mountain goat"... lol i love just watching all the mountain stages.... I have always said they should just do a mountain time trial going from nearest town at the bottom to the top of alp d'huez...

from a spectator point of _iew that would be epic!

"

They did in 2004, it was scary to watch the crowds were so huge. In 89 (I think, the year the British ANC team rode) they had one up the Ventoux, there is a picture of Jeff Bernard, the stage winner bright red, skin suit unzipped, spit all down his chin that sums up the beauty and brutality of the sport perfectly.

Nr Exeter

Don't go to the summit - you can't ever get a _iew of the race going by. Get a beer at the dutch cafe and feel their pain on the ascent.

Its a real moment the first time you see it - amazing is an understatement.

If you can ride ventoux then you have achieved - even for the climbers, it's a life taker so be prepared and don't show off because it will injure you forever.

As they say in the tour, let's wait until the mountains - that's where the race starts and the boys get dropped from the men.

"Erm , domestiques aren't there to save themselves. They ride possibly the hardest and are rarely In the GC.

"

They are also aren't there to win stages which is not the case with Edvald Boasson-Hagen. There is a world of difference between using energy working for your team leader and and using it trying to win a stage. He should be saving himself to be as fresh as possible for when the real racing starts. BMC have 8 riders working for Evans, and that is all they will do. Sky only ever had 7 domestiques, one of whom is arguably there primarily for Cav and one of whom crashed out yesterday. So non of them should be thinking of personal glory.

By *icboyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Summer has not started until the tour come on to the television...has never lost its magic for me...

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Erm , domestiques aren't there to save themselves. They ride possibly the hardest and are rarely In the GC.

They are also aren't there to win stages which is not the case with Edvald Boasson-Hagen. There is a world of difference between using energy working for your team leader and and using it trying to win a stage. He should be saving himself to be as fresh as possible for when the real racing starts. BMC have 8 riders working for Evans, and that is all they will do. Sky only ever had 7 domestiques, one of whom is arguably there primarily for Cav and one of whom crashed out yesterday. So non of them should be thinking of personal glory.

"

actually in the case of most teams any winnings from something like a tour,giro or vuelta are actually grouped together and are shared equally.....

so EBH must of had the blessing of SKY to do what he did.. as he would have been their best chance of a win on that day... 1 and 3.... cav was their best chance to win stage 2...and did... and will probably be their best chance to win today....

BMC's total focus is on evans and the yellow...

SKY are in a awkward position where they could if they put all their eggs in one basket go after yellow or green.... but since Cav's main focus this year is the Olympic Road Race.... it kind of makes the decision easy for SKY and to let EBH grab a stage or two if he could....

the interesting thing will be more next years when they will have to make a decision....

Gutted cav binned it

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

cav got brought down again today,wiggo yesterday!,just hope nothing serious happens in the first week melee'.

cavs priorities lie elsewhere this year and he will pick up stage wins without a train as he will jump from wheel to wheel in that last 15kms to find a better wheel and he is a born winner!.

just watched highlights,the crash looked bad and i hope cav recovers without too many aches & sprains as the finish tomorrow in st quentin looks like a likely big bunch gallop

again!.

i thought todays finish looked made for cav though!,too fast for sagan who i notice did not make the podium.

Nr Exeter

Can any one remember back in the early 80's, all the tour got was 1 hour at 5pm before prime time tv.

No poofy helmets and trick bikes - dura ace ax, mavic SSC greys shod to a Reynolds 753 or Vitus frame and it was all about who would push it farthest.

I wonder how the current crop of riders would fair on a 12 speed bike....

Newcastle and Gateshead

just to let you all know the GB road cycling teams have announced for the olympic today...

in the Road Race... David Millar, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Ian Stannard and Mark Cavandish...

pretty formidable... Miller making the calls as captain on the road as everyone is going to look to see what the GB team do... Wiggins and Froome to protect Cav going up box hill... Stannard as the lead out man for cav hopfully in the final stages

in the Time Trial it will be Wiggins and Froome..... who are both capable of medals in a long time trial...

david millar did a stirling job on the road as team leader in world championship last year orchestrating cavs win,lets hope cav gets GB first gold of the games!.

shame for riders that did not get in the team (like ben swift,jeremy hunt,steve cummings)but as olympic road teams are only 5 man it has to be 5 on form at the time.

"Can any one remember back in the early 80's, all the tour got was 1 hour at 5pm before prime time tv.

No poofy helmets and trick bikes - dura ace ax, mavic SSC greys shod to a Reynolds 753 or Vitus frame and it was all about who would push it farthest.

I wonder how the current crop of riders would fair on a 12 speed bike...."

or 10 gears even!.

eddy merkcx won his tours using a 5 block with two 18 sprockets so he could get a better chain line when dropping down onto the little ring.

I predict the shit is going to hit the fan massively today.

Leipheimer, Van Der Velde, Zabriskie and Hincapie have all 'fessed to doping and implicated Armstrong.

Amazingly USADA have delayed the start of their bans to the end of the season...

You couldn;t make this shit up and I hope the other tour riders react appropriately today. Looking forward to Phil and Paul defending LA to the last on ITV4 later..

South Gloucestershire

"Can any one remember back in the early 80's, all the tour got was 1 hour at 5pm before prime time tv.

I wonder how the current crop of riders would fair on a 12 speed bike....

or 10 gears even!.

eddy merkcx won his tours using a 5 block with two 18 sprockets so he could get a better chain line when dropping down onto the little ring. "

Did Merkx go down onto the little ring often??

Newcastle and Gateshead

which guys do you listen to commentary wise...

as much as I like Phil and paul on ITV4... I love the Eurosport guys.. they keep me well entertained.... lol

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

"which guys do you listen to commentary wise...

as much as I like Phil and paul on ITV4... I love the Eurosport guys.. they keep me well entertained.... lol"

Love the Eurosport guys !..son is a rugby pro in the south of France..staying with him soon, hoping to be at the Pau stage..Pyranees in the background epic!!

Newcastle and Gateshead

fantastic ride by the SKY boys up that last climb... shelled almost everyone

Well done Froome for the Stage win, and Bradley for taking the yellow....

Me thinks the race will come down to the two time trials as Wiggo & Evans will cancel each other out on the climbs!

"Me thinks the race will come down to the two time trials as Wiggo & Evans will cancel each other out on the climbs!

"

Sky have 3 riders that can attack Evans on the future climbs within the top 10 of the GC - it's not necessarily down to time trials.

"Me thinks the race will come down to the two time trials as Wiggo & Evans will cancel each other out on the climbs!

Sky have 3 riders that can attack Evans on the future climbs within the top 10 of the GC - it's not necessarily down to time trials."

True. But many tried to break the Aussie last year but he keeps on going / limiting his losses.

For the record though, I'd like Wiggo to win although Froome may be a threat to leadership if Wig falters (as in previous grand tours)

Nr Exeter

Just wait and be patient.

Tours bet blown apart when the bumps turn to mountains.

There are some strong riders who may yet tear it up and do a Hinault.

a cracking ride by the team sky~!,everyone doing their bit for the team,did you see world champion mark cavendish going back to team car just before the climbing got serious to collect loads of bidons ready for the rest of the guys?,his last move of the day to prepare his team mates for the climb before it got to lumpy for him!,mark of a champion and a good team mate.

as sean yates said,'it's still a long way to paris and a lot of hard work still to be done'.

its only week one and two more to go but no one is foolishly going to believe its all over!,lots of big climbs still,2 long time trials to come and a lot of dicey finishes to negotiate,but sky have a good team and with froome in top ten also it can be a two pronged attack for them!.

Nr Exeter

Screw Cav - gerbilmiester!

Sammy Sanchez went out after an off

Wiggo is looking strong - breathing and body language is good - proper racing soon and I can't wait!!!

By *ottsguy44Man  over a year ago

nottinghamshire

Am sure Cavendish will go for 4 straight wins in the last stage nobody's done that before...

Go Cavendish

"Am sure Cavendish will go for 4 straight wins in the last stage nobody's done that before...

Go Cavendish "

am quite sure cav will want to show rising star sagen how to finish on champs elysees!.

good chance in tt tomorrow for wiggo to grab a few more sconds on cadel evans as he wiggo be last to start and will be getting the time checks to aid him,also chris froome can close the gap on top 3 riders.

go go sky!.

love the mountain stages

some of the most underated athletes on the planet.

as for lance he is undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes ever.the man is a total inspiration

Nr Exeter

"love the mountain stages

some of the most underated athletes on the planet.

as for lance he is undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes ever.the man is a total inspiration"

Totally agree!!

brisbane

reckon froome will be a team leader in his own right eventually. Handy man for bw to have around but his performances in the tour and last years vuelta must make a few of the other teams covet him. Not sure if he can time trial but he can certainly climb

Newcastle and Gateshead

"reckon froome will be a team leader in his own right eventually. Handy man for bw to have around but his performances in the tour and last years vuelta must make a few of the other teams covet him. Not sure if he can time trial but he can certainly climb"

he can absolutely time trial... he beat wiggins in one of the time trials on the vuelta last year...

after today I expect wiggins to lead and froome to be 3rd..... i think they may try and break evans with some sort of counter punch at some point...

Newcastle and Gateshead

without spoiling it for those who would have seen the stage yet....

wow!!!!

By *ickstartmyheart103Man  over a year ago

near the east coast

Fab fab fab

brisbane

"reckon froome will be a team leader in his own right eventually. Handy man for bw to have around but his performances in the tour and last years vuelta must make a few of the other teams covet him. Not sure if he can time trial but he can certainly climb

he can absolutely time trial... he beat wiggins in one of the time trials on the vuelta last year...

after today I expect wiggins to lead and froome to be 3rd..... i think they may try and break evans with some sort of counter punch at some point..."

wow spookily spot on.

GREAT BRITONS!...brad wiggins & chris froome!,great day for team sky gb olympic riders riders wiggins & froome in the time trial,as expected wiggo won and froome jumped up the gc a hell of a lot of places!.

both riders have had a tough season last year with wiggos crash in last years tour and froomes illness,but the patient build up has brought them to form for a fantastic july!,lets pray the sky train does not get de-railed and makes it all the way to paris.

Quite embarrassed to admit it but as a very keen cyclist (26 miles a day) I've never watched the tour

So come on UK, the coverage Andy Murray got for loosing was huge...... why cant we back winners !!!!!

Come on BBC and the papers.......... Wiggo & Froomy & Cav....

Nr Exeter

Watch how they are moving on the bike and breathing.

Evans - big gulps of air, lots of wasted energy moving the bike around, on the limit

Wiggy - composed, steady and he wasn't flat out, hes staying strong for the next 10 days where it can all happen

I'm still gutted for Sammy Sanchez - would have been great for the next few days - just gutted

It's just starting to get magical

"Watch how they are moving on the bike and breathing.

Evans - big gulps of air, lots of wasted energy moving the bike around, on the limit

Wiggy - composed, steady and he wasn't flat out"

I was 3 months old when I went to my first TT (I'd have been younger but I was born in the winter), so having spent a life around the discipline I love seeing it done well. Wiggins today was beautiful to watch, as you say so steady and seemingly effortless truly a sight to behold.

"reckon froome will be a team leader in his own right eventually. Handy man for bw to have around but his performances in the tour and last years vuelta must make a few of the other teams covet him. Not sure if he can time trial but he can certainly climb"

After his Vuelta performance I am amazed that he felt that the best thing to do was sign a 3 year contract with SKY. He could and arguably should have won the Vuelta last year. I suspect SKY offered him a huge contract but the length of the contract shows a lack of ambition. I think he is stronger than Wiggins.

chris froome was well looked after by sky during his illnes!,they diagnosed what ws going wrong and nursed him back to fitness.

things look good for both froome & wiggo and letys hope the form holds for the olympic time trial as both compete for team GB.

Newcastle and Gateshead

I suspect that SKY have said to Froome and Wiggins... if you be "super Domestique" during the tour de france... you will be "team leader" during this seasons Vuelta...

actually the next time trial will give us a better indication of what may happen in the olympic time trial as that more replicates the course....

rest day today in tour,but it does not mean they lounge around poolside like in tv show benidorm!,they will still be out riding for a few hours so as the legs dont go dead!.

i guess 2 or 3 hours steady ride will be a rest instead of 5-6 hours in the mountains!,the sky lads certainly deserve a steady day after the stirling work they have done this past week with stage wins for cavendish,froome & wiggins.

keep the sky train a rollin' lads all the way to paris!.

South Gloucestershire

virtually half way,cos no ones gonna win or lose it at the champs elysee, cmon wiggins cmon froom, for that matter cmon Cav lets see a few more sprints

'French Tour de France rider Remy Di Gregorio has been suspended by Cofidis'

Another potential scandal....no wonder alot of people still think the sport is 'tainted'

"I quite fancy a couple of hours on an old bike"

Seconded!!!

Lucky old saddle!

the break that stayed away today!,good win for voeckler today being pushed all the way for the win by jens voigt,both must have ridden about 10 tours de france each in their long careers.

wiggo still in the maillot juane after another routine day in the office for the sky team who controlled wiggos main contenders for victory who finished just 3 minutes 16 seconds behind the breakaway group.

"'French Tour de France rider Remy Di Gregorio has been suspended by Cofidis'

Another potential scandal....no wonder alot of people still think the sport is 'tainted'

"

football is tainted too!,but the difference is that in the tour de france the UCI make sure anyone caught cheating is eliminated straight away!,in footballs big games like the european championships and world cups the 'cheaters' are not named!,uefa announce 2 months after the competition that so many players were caught 'cheating'but do not name names!,have you ever noticed how so many star players do not start the new season as diagnosed with a 'mystery ailment'?,or 'over-tired with fatigue and miss the first month of new season?,are they serving match bans?.

makes you wonder eh?.

Newcastle and Gateshead

couple of bits of housework...

re: Remy Di Gregorio.... he has been suspended by cofidis, but it was at the behest of the french police, he may be involved in some sort of cocaine ring in marseille.. and they have been ivestigating the ring for about a year....

fabian cancellara drops out of the tour this morning.. citing the imminent birth of hs 2nd child.....

hardest day of the tour today... 2 HC climbs and then the last climb is a 1st cat climb with a mountain top finish....

this is like cyclist porn today...

another fantastic stage!,plenty of attacking during the ascents in the alps,nibali and then cadel evans taking turns to attack the leader wiggins and then the drama of evans cracking and losing more time on wiggo when people expected him to nick a good few seconds if not minutes back.

the drama of the last few kilometres when froome looked to have attacked to try to take the stage thinking sky team director sean yates had said had said 'go' when in fact he had said 'slow!',as brad was finding it hard to hold his team mates wheel.

the day ended with a GB 1-2 on general classification with cadel evans last yerars winner dropping out of top 3 and over 3 minutes behind leader wiggins.

looking good so far for GB team sky if nothing goes wrong in next 10 days!,sky look very organised and i just hope the sky train keeps a rollin to paris!.

froome is a machine up them hills, he looked done at one point and then exploded again to tow wiggins up to the 2nd break, wiggins looked tired though, froome will be leaving sky soon to become a team leader and challenge for yellow, would be good next year to see two British riders battling out for top spot, think cav is too far behind to win green now but can still get some stage wins and the main one in paris

By *ampopotwoCouple  over a year ago

southampton

I think Sky will put a strong team around Froome for this years Vuelta as reward for his work in the tour.

As for next year, he'll still be in contract with Sky and if it's a more mountainous route they could well make him leader for the TdF.

As for this year, I think (hope!) Wiggins will hold on but there's a long way to go yet.

southampton

Anyway, just off to do a couple of hours in them there hills before I watch the pros go twice as fast this afternoon!

The whole sky team looked tired.. but then again the amount of work they are all having to put in in immense!

Every other team, doesn't have the power to keep pace with these guys.. they are simply a diesel locomotive up them hills! (mountains).

Good news for Wiggins and Froome that Evans blew up yesterday.. should be interesting to see what happens with him - probably wait till the Pyrenees to go on the attack.. after resting a few days..

Nibali is looking the main threat currently.. he's climbing is getting better, and he can decend like a banshee.. if there is a valley finish after a ramped mountain.. look out for nibali to go on the attack.

"froome is a machine up them hills, he looked done at one point and then exploded again to tow wiggins up to the 2nd break, wiggins looked tired though, froome will be leaving sky soon to become a team leader and challenge for yellow, would be good next year to see two British riders battling out for top spot, think cav is too far behind to win green now but can still get some stage wins and the main one in paris"

froome signed a 3 year deal with sky before world champs last year after his vuelta runners up ride,think he will see his contract through as he not get a better set up than sky at the moment!.

i see him team leader for vuelta and if he starts next season like wiggo started this season the tour de france leaders job is his for sure!.

cav going for green jersey was not a priority this olympic year but a few stage wins were hoped for!,cav wanted the points jersey from giro d'italia to make up the grand tours set of three.

but them boys are awesome and the sky train keeps a rollin.

South Gloucestershire

"The whole sky team looked tired.. but then again the amount of work they are all having to put in in immense!

Every other team, doesn't have the power to keep pace with these guys.. they are simply a diesel locomotive up them hills! (mountains).

Good news for Wiggins and Froome that Evans blew up yesterday.. should be interesting to see what happens with him - probably wait till the Pyrenees to go on the attack.. after resting a few days..

Nibali is looking the main threat currently.. he's climbing is getting better, and he can decend like a banshee.. if there is a valley finish after a ramped mountain.. look out for nibali to go on the attack."

two of the last pyranees stages end on a down hill, definate danger of him using his break away spead to get a gap before a peak then storming away downhill. Today could be interestng to see who has suffered most after yesterday, Is Cadel broken or will he try and bounce back now the attention is on Nabili (definately expect to see an attempt). Did Nabili push hiself too far with all his break attempts. Did froome the workhorse drag out too much from himself yesterday helping Wiggo , and was Wiggins failure to keep up with Froome on his break a sign that he is suffering (tho he says he was caught whilst taking it easy to de lactate) fascinating day ahead.

Newcastle and Gateshead

i dont think there will be too much attacking today from the lead contenders just because the mountains are way too far from the finish.... so the question may well be which sprinter can get over the mountains today with a team in tact.....

that stage was epic yesterday.... my jaw almost dropped when froome attacked for 30 seconds..... like wow!!! but it showed who is the strongman of this tour.....

If wiggins wins this year there's no way they can make froome team leader next year and not let wiggins defend his title, and we've seen that 2 team leaders doesn't work it just splits the team, the only way for them both to challenge is for one of them leave, and all this talk that cav doesn't want green I've never heard him say it, he's a competitive person and will want everything he race's in,

South Gloucestershire

"i dont think there will be too much attacking today from the lead contenders just because the mountains are way too far from the finish.... so the question may well be which sprinter can get over the mountains today with a team in tact.....

that stage was epic yesterday.... my jaw almost dropped when froome attacked for 30 seconds..... like wow!!! but it showed who is the strongman of this tour....."

once again you called it right.

By *ikeriderMan  over a year ago

prestatyn

" football is tainted too!,but the difference is that in the tour de france the UCI make sure anyone caught cheating is eliminated straight away!,in footballs big games like the european championships and world cups the 'cheaters' are not named!,uefa announce 2 months after the competition that so many players were caught 'cheating'but do not name names!,have you ever noticed how so many star players do not start the new season as diagnosed with a 'mystery ailment'?,or 'over-tired with fatigue and miss the first month of new season?,are they serving match bans?.

makes you wonder eh?."

Football doesn't bother me really, don't see that what happens in another totally different sport has to do with a sport I enjoy watching/participating in.

I think the post was to point out ANOTHER case of a potential scandal that could damage the image of cycyling once again.

In my opinion of course

in wont taint anything,any one who does anything remotely active knows these men are machines.

they could all be on epo and a bottle of steroids a day.

i will still doff my cap to them.

the mountain stages are some of the most iconic sporting events on the planet.

"

Football doesn't bother me really, don't see that what happens in another totally different sport has to do with a sport I enjoy watching/participating in.

I think the post was to point out ANOTHER case of a potential scandal that could damage the image of cycyling once again.

In my opinion of course "

football does not bother me one iota!,but it does annoy me when the press ignore the good rides and wins by brit riders and taint the sport that i love and participate in with big headlines about one suspected rider accused of using drugs.

cycling governing UCI body shoots itself in the foot by announcing any drug suspected rider and ban him/remove him from the race immediatly,but football keeps it underwraps by silently announcing how many failed drug tests months after a tournament without naming them or the suspensions imposed!,football takes the easy way out leaving cycling look suspect when in actual fact cycling is the cleaner sport.!

in my honest opinion of course.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

re doping:

Bradley Wiggins was quoted the other day as saying that "he is tested regularly and passes regularly, what more can he do". Doesn't that equally apply to Lance Amstrong.

I find it fascinating that there are now some 11 cyclists willing to testify against LA that doping was involved, when the majority, if not all those 12 cyclists passed all dope tests.

Why didn't they cry foul against themselves at the time?

after todays stage it still means a wiggo froomdog 1-2 at top of the GC table.

a small break got away and the peleton let it roll on and brit rider david millar took the stage meaning four different british riders have won stages of the tour this year and these 4 riders will be part of the 5 man GB team for the olympic road race later this month,the 5th man in GB team super domestique ian stannard is resting up after ridiing the giro d'italia last month and then winning the british road race championship.

things looking good for GB and for team sky at the moment,so i hope they do keep a rollin on!.

"

that stage was epic yesterday.... my jaw almost dropped when froome attacked for 30 seconds..... like wow!!! but it showed who is the strongman of this tour....."

Rumour has it he misheard an instruction of "slow" as "go"... It fits as he sat up very quick and was stright on his radio.

Today was great, big fan of Millar and that makes it 4 British stage wins . Well 1 manxman, 1 kenyan, 1 maltese born scot and a belgium born londoner!

Will David Millar ever shut up about being an 'ex-doper', etc, etc??

He tainted this great sport by taking drugs & the only reason he stopped was because he got caught!

Now we allow him to ride in the Olympics!!!

"

that stage was epic yesterday.... my jaw almost dropped when froome attacked for 30 seconds..... like wow!!! but it showed who is the strongman of this tour.....

Rumour has it he misheard an instruction of "slow" as "go"... It fits as he sat up very quick and was stright on his radio."

it was said (think sean yates said it?)in itv4 inter_iew straight after the stage

that they said 'slow' but chris froome thought they said 'go!' so as you do without looking round and hesitating he jumped straight away!,was when yatesy saw on in car tv monitor what froomedog had done he yelled back 'slow!' which he obeyed straight away!,froome is a number one super domestique soon to be team leader in a grand tour i reckon!.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Will David Millar ever shut up about being an 'ex-doper', etc, etc??

He tainted this great sport by taking drugs & the only reason he stopped was because he got caught!

"

actually of all the people that have been caught he was the one who held his hands up, has been vermently anti-drugs ever since, had done cycling seminars on the dangers of drugs and had given that money to charities that deal with drug abuse... and was the one person who didn't mention the olympics at all, never challenged the punishment he got..

as a person in the cycling community you won't get many saying a bad word against him..... he did he time like everyone else.... and he will be a huge asset in the olympic road race as team leader...

Nr Exeter

"

Some one has an awful lot to learn about the real world - the truth... You don't want to know it, I really mean that!

I have 3 things to say ...

1. Isnt it great racing!

2. Wiggy is playing the game so well - what a star!

3. Where's Cavendish (his VO2 max, weight and wattage should put him up there but he's hopeless if he can't get a tow to the finish.

Bradford

Having followed the event for the best part of 25 years, i have two questions.

1. Is it great racing, amongst the best ever, and

2. Are individual radios for each rider, and instructions thereon, actually spoiling the "racing" and event? Why not go the whole hog and have radio controlled robots on bikes?

Nr Exeter

Millar's a top egg - fortune and glory to all the UK boys at the olympics - I hope they burn the Tarmac off the road!

[Removed by poster at 14/07/12 00:17:30]

actually of all the people that have been caught he was the one who held his hands up, has been vermently anti-drugs ever since, had done cycling seminars on the dangers of drugs and had given that money to charities that deal with drug abuse... and was the one person who didn't mention the olympics at all, never challenged the punishment he got..

as a person in the cycling community you won't get many saying a bad word against him..... he did he time like everyone else.... and he will be a huge asset in the olympic road race as team leader..."

With the greatest respect to you, I am of the opinion that once caught taking drugs, athletes should be banned for life - in which ever sport they participate in!

And I'm not naive enough to believe many cyclist have probably dabbled in some sort of drug enhancement during their career (awaiting the fall-out on that remark!)

Still love the tour though, as well as all the other races during the year.

Just a shame that team tactics do not allow Froome to race!!

"

Having followed the event for the best part of 25 years, i have two questions.

1. Is it great racing, amongst the best ever, and

2. Are individual radios for each rider, and instructions thereon, actually spoiling the "racing" and event? Why not go the whole hog and have radio controlled robots on bikes? "

I hate race radios. they sanitise racing . They have a place from a safety point of _iew but beyond that I wish they'd go.

i dont like race radios cos they keep the race controlled far too much!,stops all the random attacks that used to break the field up as the domestiwues stick close to team leaders in case of wheels needed,bike changes,food or drink neded etc,i dont think world championship (or olympics?)has radios and that is where the astute race reading of david millar comes to help organise the team for riders like cavendish.

oh,and chris froome was signed up for 3 years last september as super domestique in the mountains for bradley wiggins as the tour route was deemed ideal for wiggo,with 2 long time trials,just enough for him to put distance or re-claim time from contador,schlecks,or evans.

frome was well aware of sky plans and sky nursed him through his recent illness and diagnosed his problems,that is why he is comparativly fresh for tour and did not really have to prove his worth in pre-tour races!,sky were well aware of his value!.

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am another one that hate race radios..... and I am glad that in the olympics, both the road race and the time trial, they are actually banned.....

i think it makes for better racing and makes it a lot more strategic.... which for the more astute race leaders should be an advantage...

i see the sky team are doing well in the tour of poland at the moment!,team sprinter ben swift had a stage win and a second place so far,ian stannard is doing some hard work with them in preperation for the olympic road race!, and as a reserve in case of injury etc ben swift is showing good form!.

a safe day for wiggo & froome in the crosswinds heading into cap d'agde,although the peleton got split into many different groups because of the crosswinds the riders had to form bordures across the road to get shelter and then they split again on the last climb!,wigggo tried to repay team mate boasson hagen by leading him out at the sprint finish the norwegian finished 3rd,no change at top of GC with wiggins & froome still 1-2.

a tough day comes up today with the first mountain stage in the pyrenees.

in the tour of poland ben swift kept up the sky tradition by winning stage 5,his second stage win and he wears the points jersey.

the sky train just a keeps rollin on!.

swift is a reserve for the GB olympic road race team.

By *ardeninedenCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Had a fantastic day yesterday. Walked from the Finish in Cap d Adge back up the course to a bend at 2.5K to go.

Offical cars, team cars, police motor bikes, press cars, sponsors "caravane" you name it - a three hour continuous procession in the build up to the peleton.

We waved our flag at every vehicle with Team Sky on it and they all waved back without exception.

Then we saw the helicopters over Sete and in no time the peleton came through with the splits following later.

The race logistics are awesome as they pack everything up minutes after the riders go through the set it all up again somewhere else ready for the next days stage

Amazing day wouldn't have missed that for anything

xx

that would have been a great day for sure!,wish i had been there.

i have been in the pyrenees around foix where stage finishes today and could be a tough day for sky as tough climbs and a very dicey decent too!.

good luck to the sky train!.

Newcastle and Gateshead

since sky is a british Team... I wonder what pressure they are going to be under to try and put out as "british" a team as possible ...

remember ben swift, Ian Stannard (british road race champion) Gerraint Thomas comes back next year from the team persuit...

add froome, Wiggins and cavandish... EBH, and the two aussies, Mick Rogers and Ritchie Porte... that would work for me.... but would that be balanced enough to cater to everyone?

"since sky is a british Team... I wonder what pressure they are going to be under to try and put out as "british" a team as possible ...

remember ben swift, Ian Stannard (british road race champion) Gerraint Thomas comes back next year from the team persuit...

add froome, Wiggins and cavandish... EBH, and the two aussies, Mick Rogers and Ritchie Porte... that would work for me.... but would that be balanced enough to cater to everyone? "

The strongest team possible to whatever race they enter. Regardless of nationality. However the crux of the team will and should be British, but only on merit!

Team SKY was put together to work towards getting a British TdF winner within 5 years.. it looks as though either Brad or Chris (if something happens to Brad) will do that this year!

Thats great for British cycling and will only encourage more young people to take up the sport.

ITV 4 has vanished all of a sudden...wtf....

Does anyone know if it's possible to have 2 teams like in Formula1?

Red Bull and Toro Rosso (Red Bull in Spanish) are basically brother and sister teams.

maybe SKY can be the yellow jersey race team, and CIELO (a made up team name - Spanish for sky) can be used for the green and sprint stage (like HTC was set up)

That would be awesome!

in 80s in britain tony capper of ANC put together a number 1 team of anc halfords into british cycling and then formed a sister team,both joined together to form anc halfords tour de france team but they had to 'buy in' some foreign riders for the continemtal expeience.

was not a good tour although malcolm elliott showed himself in the sprints and adrian timmis finished the race with him on champs elysees they were the only two gb riders in thart team to finish.

i don't know in this day & age about a sky 'A' team & 'B' team as the cost is enormous to pay riders,director sportif,back up team ie,masseurs mechanics etc.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"ITV 4 has vanished all of a sudden...wtf...."

ITV4... noooo... you want to be watching the Eurosport lads... much better commentary...

"in 80s in britain tony capper of ANC put together a number 1 team of anc halfords into british cycling and then formed a sister team,both joined together to form anc halfords tour de france team but they had to 'buy in' some foreign riders for the continemtal expeience.

was not a good tour although malcolm elliott showed himself in the sprints and adrian timmis finished the race with him on champs elysees they were the only two gb riders in thart team to finish.

i don't know in this day & age about a sky 'A' team & 'B' team as the cost is enormous to pay riders,director sportif,back up team ie,masseurs mechanics etc. "

The ANC team was because in Britain at the time each team was limited to 6 or 8 riders.

It wouldn;t be allowed now. Sponsors are limited to one team. Rapha Condor Sharp despite being little more than a domestic team this year have already rebranded back to Rapha Condor since Sharp became a co-sponsor of Garmin.

I think (but could be wrong) that teams are allowed to have feeder teams but they are normally U23/development teams.

"

i don't know in this day & age about a sky 'A' team & 'B' team as the cost is enormous to pay riders,director sportif,back up team ie,masseurs mechanics etc. "

HTC Highroad was set up just to win stage races not the overall win, whereas Saxo Bank and BMC are set up to be the overall winner and not contest the stage races.

So there is scope for a double team entry even if they are "separate" teams..

Of course you need the funding.. but that's achievable.

Personally im not sure why Cav decided to join SKY, maybe for the pay packet? Or to improve his chances for the Olympics with the management of Dave Brailsford, but his chances of doing well at TdF or any other Grand Tour are certainly reduced since he doesn't have the protection of other riders, riding specifically for him.

Newcastle and Gateshead

well this stage has been madness... and if it is confirmed there were tacks on the road it has spoiled a good days racing.....

"

The ANC team was because in Britain at the time each team was limited to 6 or 8 riders.

It wouldn;t be allowed now. Sponsors are limited to one team. Rapha Condor Sharp despite being little more than a domestic team this year have already rebranded back to Rapha Condor since Sharp became a co-sponsor of Garmin.

I think (but could be wrong) that teams are allowed to have feeder teams but they are normally U23/development teams."

in 80s teams in britain could only have 6 riders so tony capper set up 3 teams in fact to ride under his ANC parcels umberella in britain but still nheeded 3-4 continental riders for tour de france team.

yes i think the second string teams these days are espoirs/development squads.

"well this stage has been madness... and if it is confirmed there were tacks on the road it has spoiled a good days racing....."

28 tacks on road been handded in by one directeur sportif!,spoiled a good day.

"well this stage has been madness... and if it is confirmed there were tacks on the road it has spoiled a good days racing.....

28 tacks on road been handded in by one directeur sportif!,spoiled a good day."

Madness.

Pierre Rolland will have made himself no friends today.

Was good to see SKY neutralise the race and also the BMC boys acknowledging the team cars when they got back on. Both very sporting gestures.

Newcastle and Gateshead

the aftermath of todays stage....

31 riders ended up with punctures following "the tack incidents"...

and 1 rider abandons... robert kivilovski of astana who broke his collarbone in an incident caused by the tacks....

apparently the french police are now investigating....

bad for the astana rider,saw him lying there on the eurosport coverage and they guessed it was collarbone broken!,could have been lives lost if the tyres had deflated on the descent.

there was an incident last year in a sportive in north of england when tacks were scattered on the road by someone upset at his village country roads being invading bt hundreds of swishing wheels going through his village!,turned out the assassin was a member of the clergy!.

Agree here , quite entertaining commentary at times gets me giggling how random they can be , thoroughly enjoying the first time ever watched it , Jen the TDF virgin

"ITV 4 has vanished all of a sudden...wtf....

ITV4... noooo... you want to be watching the Eurosport lads... much better commentary..."

Agree

Also Sagan has a great ass and legs

Nr Exeter

ANC Halfords, don't make me laugh any more!!!!

They got wasted by the likes of 7-11 and la vie Claire who themselves were mediocre.

They couldn't even afford decent silver braised 753c or lugless vitus tubued frames and raced in 531c.

Today was disconnected and messy, an attempt to get back to some of the classical stages but I'm starting to think the race is over already unless something special happens.

It needs Andy Schlek, Sammy Sanchez and an on form Armatrong scrapping it out with Cuntador over the mountains.

In other words, sky are too strong which is great for the UK but the fizz and danger is supressed. Ah well.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

all that bloomin fuss for a yellow top

"ANC Halfords, don't make me laugh any more!!!!

They got wasted by the likes of 7-11 and la vie Claire who themselves were mediocre.

They couldn't even afford decent silver braised 753c or lugless vitus tubued frames and raced in 531c.

Today was disconnected and messy, an attempt to get back to some of the classical stages but I'm starting to think the race is over already unless something special happens.

It needs Andy Schlek, Sammy Sanchez and an on form Armatrong scrapping it out with Cuntador over the mountains.

In other words, sky are too strong which is great for the UK but the fizz and danger is supressed. Ah well."

ANC, or at least the british based riders were riding 753 rourkes badged as peugots. They didn't have specialist TT bikes and didn't even have 9 dusc wheels.

Agree about this years race, the only excitement is down to Wiggins been a Brit, from a racing point of _iew on a par with the Indurain years.

South Gloucestershire

there are so many cameras and people about that I hope they can identify who did it quickly.

Its gotta be unnerving going into a race knowing whoever did it might do it again.

Nr Exeter

So, tomorrow we have the Tourmalet.

There will be abandoners, there will be pain and suffering.

I forgot this was in this years tour - behold one of the top 3 hardest climbs and it's got potential to shake a few things up.....

I've got a hard on !!!!!

South Gloucestershire

yep I think the next two days will decide it, cadel looked broken in the alps so we will have to see if he can pick himself up, Nibali for me is the main threat, excellent on the break away burst of speed and phenomenal downhill, but he really has to break wiggins and get a gap before the penultimate days timetrial so today is a big day

South Gloucestershire

By the way Green onions is one of the coolest tunes ever

southampton

Yep, the next two days should be a lot livelier. Nipples needs to take at least five minutes off Wiggins to have any chance so he's got to attack. Unless he decides Wiggins / Sky are just too strong and settles for a podium place for this year.

"ANC or at least the british based riders were riding 753 rourkes badged as peugots. They didn't have specialist TT bikes and didn't even have 9 dis wheels.

Agree about this years race, the only excitement is down to Wiggins been a Brit, from a racing point of _iew on a par with the Indurain years."

at the tour phil griffiths had to shell out of his own money to buy disc wheels for the TT's,and as for the frames

they might well have been re-badged rourke frames but not all the peleton bikes were as badged!,barry hoban rode woodrups and not mrcier when he rode for mercier bp,chris boardman road dolan built frames during his tour de france career.

a couple of good mountain stages coming up over next 2 days which could spell danger for wiggo!,the pyrenees are a different ride then the alps and one or two riders that did not perform in alps could be aiming to turn the tables in pyrenees.

sky director sportif sean yates wore the yellow jersey and won stages in the tour during his career and is level headed enough to be aware of likely pitfalls,the sky riders have performed brilliantly in this years tour and the specialised mountain training in majorca and tenefife has paid off.

Frank Schleck has tested positive.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Frank Schleck has tested positive."

just heard and am in shock.... he has 4 days to appeal to have his b sample tested.. but nissan trek have already decided to remove him from the tour....

"Frank Schleck has tested positive.

just heard and am in shock.... he has 4 days to appeal to have his b sample tested.. but nissan trek have already decided to remove him from the tour...."

probably just protocol on behalf of the team, it's pretty much the done thing across all the teams.

South Gloucestershire

Cadel is as good as out of it, he looked as if he had cracked in the alps, its def now,

only Nabali has a chance now, (barring the unlikely events of an accident, Froome going rogue, or getting unlikely go ahead from sky) and Wiggins looks increasingly comfortable on the mountain may not have the bursts of speed but is relentless, Tommorrow is all or nothing, if Nabali is to have any chance he will have to break away and take about 4 mins of Wiggins cos wiggins will cream him in the time trials

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

"Frank Schleck has tested positive."
only a dieretic

so not as bad as epo or others;

seems a bit daft takeing stuff;

to be tested evry day?

cest la vie

southampton

"Frank Schleck has tested positive.only a dieretic

to be tested evry day?

cest la vie"

It's used as a masking agent.

(whatever he was on he should ask for his money back)

"Frank Schleck has tested positive.only a dieretic

to be tested evry day?

cest la vie

It's used as a masking agent.

(whatever he was on he should ask for his money back)"

On the subject of money, let's not forget a few years ago Frank was suspended by his team when it was discovered he was making payments to Dr Fuentes (Operation Puerto). For reasons unkown the Luxembourg cycling authorities felt he had done nothing wrong despite identical evidence leading to 2 year bans for many other riders.

Oh and then there's the time his oldman spent a night in the cells during the tour a few years back while the gendarmerie searched for drugs in his campervan...

His defence already smacks of desperation, this has been a longtime coming and I just hope he doesn't get off this time

Newcastle and Gateshead

well done on wiggo and froome-y today.... although at the end i was so wanting to see brad say to chris "leave me and go and win the stage!!".... another 1km of that and froome would have that!!!

South Gloucestershire

that was pretty much Nibalis last chance,

and they extended thier lead. Barring something major it should be a british 1-2

also as they may not have to kill themselves on the timetrial, it means they can be fresher to support

Cav, down the elysee

what price Cav for four in a row

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

good luck to him and hope he wins xx

South Gloucestershire

Cav def showed he has not lost any pace today, the sky team mjusr be on cloud nine, and what a great team for the olympics

WOW!,what a finish by cavendish!,the manx missile has not left any of his sprinting speed up in the alps nor pyrenees!,that was phenominal finishing even by his standards..

hope he gets sundays finishing stage on champs elysees to beat eddy merckx record and finishes off a great month for british cycling by winning olympic road race on the mall a weeek tomorrow!.

at the moment the GB lads in the sky team are phenominal!,great team work to by the rest sky team.

Fuck me, what a turn of speed!

southampton

"WOW!,what a finish by cavendish!,the manx missile has not left any of his sprinting speed up in the alps nor pyrenees!,that was phenominal finishing even by his standards..

hope he gets sundays finishing stage on champs elysees to beat eddy merckx record and finishes off a great month for british cycling by winning olympic road race on the mall a weeek tomorrow!.

at the moment the GB lads in the sky team are phenominal!,great team work to by the rest sky team.

"

He needs another 13 to beat Eddy.

[Removed by poster at 21/07/12 11:17:47]

[Removed by poster at 21/07/12 11:38:22]

eddy merckx won the final TDF stage into paris on 3 occasions. 1969 1971 1974 mark cavendish has won the last 3 finishes into paris,if he wins on sunday it will be his 4th win in paris thus the beating eddy merckx record and he will have won 4 succesive final stages into paris.

"WOW!,what a finish by cavendish!,the manx missile has not left any of his sprinting speed up in the alps nor pyrenees!,that was phenominal finishing even by his standards..

He needs another 13 to beat Eddy."

creampieguy is right. you are talking about total number of stage wins.

Merckx has 34 to Cavs 22 currently, but merckx only won the Paris stage 3 times. cav will beat that on sunday if he wins again.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

wow wow wow all i can add

cavs finnish was out of this world;

seen him do this before but still

gobsmacked.

brads day today with luck

been out myself inspired by events

Newcastle and Gateshead

the fact that ITV during the week decided to move today and tomorrows coverage from ITV4 to ITV1 shows the impact that the british riders have had on the TDF this year.....

it is kinda weird seeing TDF news being on the main news coverage on all the stations...

itv also have a new cycling show startin monday! it was watching lance armstrong that made me return to cycling n the best day of my life when i got the chance to join the mass bike with him at doroch sutherland scotland a day ill never forget. as for team sky wot can yi say ! there the best nice to see a team work so well together ! all for 1 and all 4 one ! the gentlemen of cycling! nd Best in the world n drug free iv a spare bike if anyone fancys goin for a ride ! yi fancy it _abio ?

" creampieguy is right. you are talking about total number of stage wins. Merckx has 34 to Cavs 22 currently, but merckx only won the Paris stage 3 times. cav will beat that on sunday if he wins again."

the total stage wins record is possible for rhe manx missile to break over the next few years but one record of merckx no one will ever beat is the historic 1969 tour when merckx took

1st overall GC

1st mountains

1st points class

1st combined

1st combativity

that is why he was nicknamed the cannibal because he wanted to win everything!,in 1970 the year later he won the tour GC and king of the mountains prize,a poor tour by eddy merckx standards.

Newcastle and Gateshead

well that was something else.....

if he wins the olympic time trial as well I think you are looking at your sports personality of the year!

what a terrific day for brad wigins,team sky & GB!.

1-2-5 in the time trial for sky!,hopefully a win on last stage for cav on the champs elsees in paris too?. all augers well for GB in the olympics once these guys have had a few days rest as they only had 2 days off in past 3 weeks!.

"what a terrific day for brad wigins,team sky & GB!.

1-2-5 in the time trial for sky!,hopefully a win on last stage for cav on the champs elsees in paris too?. all augers well for GB in the olympics once these guys have had a few days rest as they only had 2 days off in past 3 weeks!. "

They are flying back on a private jet tomorrow afternoon, no celebrating, focused straight on the Olympics.

only a few days till the road race start on saturday next,these guys dont have time to go falling out of night clubs at 5.am as they do serious sport.

in london few years ago for the 2007 tour de france riders presentation

on the friday night i saw brad walking with his bike making his way through the crowds towards a guarded entrance for riders/officials etc to get to the presentation stage,i looked at him,caught his eyes and nodded a 'hullo!,i know who you are but not going to make a fuss in front of the crowds',brad nodded back and went into the presentation,bet he could not do that in the crowds now he is a household name?.

South Gloucestershire

what a fantastic day, wiggo becomes the first british winner ever , and does so by leading out Cav who became the most succesful sprinter ever and who has now won in Paris four out of four times, increasing this years total to 3 wins, Froom is

sitting happy at number two knowing that he can either stay with the best team in the world or lead any other as they will all want him. does it get much better?

lets see maybe there there is still an olympic gold for them after next week

Well done Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour, a great champion.

Bradford

" creampieguy is right. you are talking about total number of stage wins. Merckx has 34 to Cavs 22 currently, but merckx only won the Paris stage 3 times. cav will beat that on sunday if he wins again.

the total stage wins record is possible for rhe manx missile to break over the next few years but one record of merckx no one will ever beat is the historic 1969 tour when merckx took

1st overall GC

1st mountains

1st points class

1st combined

1st combativity

that is why he was nicknamed the cannibal because he wanted to win everything!,in 1970 the year later he won the tour GC and king of the mountains prize,a poor tour by eddy merckx standards.

"

is that also the year he would have won the white jersey, young rider under 25, had it then been in existence?

" creampieguy is right. you are talking about total number of stage wins. Merckx has 34 to Cavs 22 currently, but merckx only won the Paris stage 3 times. cav will beat that on sunday if he wins again.

1st overall GC

1st mountains

1st points class

1st combined

1st combativity

is that also the year he would have won the white jersey, young rider under 25, had it then been in existence?"

yep!,i reckon it was as he would have been 24yrs old in that tour.

» Add a new message to this topic