FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Phone help

Phone help

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Not very techno on the phones

Heading to Scotland next week, i have an i phone 4 and I am on bill pay meteor.

Don't think my phone will work over / coverage etc - is there something I can do with setting to make it work so people can ring me on my number

Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ean0001Man  over a year ago

Dublin West

it should already work. Just check with your service provider what your calls will cost before you go and what your data will cost.

Some packages the data can be expensive when you not on your own network, so you may be best to turn the data off and use free wifi where you can.

But costs have come down greatly in the last few years, especially in the UK and europe

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

As sean said it should still work fine but make ur internet is turned of tho with the roaming charges.

It should work fine if they call you, just don't call out on it unless you want a massive ass rape bill.

You could also get a pre-paid sim if your fone is not locked to a network, otherwise you need to jailbreak it so it will work on any network.

[Removed by poster at 30/07/15 13:57:06]

I'm pretty sure Meteor roaming charges in Europe were abolished weren't they? If you have a bill pay phone, making & receiving calls in the UK should be practically the same. SMS may be more.

"It should work fine if they call you, just don't call out on it unless you want a massive ass rape bill.

You could also get a pre-paid sim if your fone is not locked to a network, otherwise you need to jailbreak it so it will work on any network."

So the wrong advice. It costs more to take a call when roaming that to make one home.

By *ale4U2Man  over a year ago

Nearby

You can buy a data package from Meteor for €14.99 1gb for up to one month ... Use viber or Whatsapp for calls home when u need to and it will prove very cost effective ??

Cheers all.

Won't be making call - just receiving. Just wanted use of my google maps to to where I ve to go.

"Cheers all.

Won't be making call - just receiving. Just wanted use of my google maps to to where I ve to go. "

Open the map on your hotel Wi-Fi before you go, there are loads of places offering free Wi-Fi for the price of a coffee if you need more data.

[Removed by poster at 30/07/15 15:44:36]

"It should work fine if they call you, just don't call out on it unless you want a massive ass rape bill.

You could also get a pre-paid sim if your fone is not locked to a network, otherwise you need to jailbreak it so it will work on any network.So the wrong advice. It costs more to take a call when roaming that to make one home. "

What do you mean? I've never had to pay to receive a call in my life, not unless it's collect.

You could also get a pre-paid sim if your fone is not locked to a network, otherwise you need to jailbreak it so it will work on any network.So the wrong advice. It costs more to take a call when roaming that to make one home.

What do you mean? I've never had to pay to receive a call in my life, not unless it's collect."

Did you not know about receiving a call when roaming? You get charged for taking a call on another countries network usually.

Never heard of that before. I took my irish pre-paid fone to oz and it never cost me anything to receive calls form what I remember. Most of them were viber though.

Op just be careful with what you signing up to for those data packages. I spent three weeks up north a couple weeks ago and got stuck with a 200 euro bill using one of the packages

"Op just be careful with what you signing up to for those data packages. I spent three weeks up north a couple weeks ago and got stuck with a 200 euro bill using one of the packages "

You're not supposed to pick the "Fleece an outoftowner" package!

"Never heard of that before. I took my irish pre-paid fone to oz and it never cost me anything to receive calls form what I remember. Most of them were viber though."
Well they are not standard calls. They are VOIP calls using your data.

You could also get a pre-paid sim if your fone is not locked to a network, otherwise you need to jailbreak it so it will work on any network.So the wrong advice. It costs more to take a call when roaming that to make one home.

What do you mean? I've never had to pay to receive a call in my life, not unless it's collect."

When I travel Belfast to Cork it cost me to receive calls

Yeah they were saying. First I ever heard of it. Learn something new everyday. Maybe they cant do it on pre pay with zero credit or something. No idea.

Fancy charging both parties for a call the robbing bastards.

Your number doesn't change, just choose preferred network in network settings, I think meteors preferred one in the UK is Orange but you will roaming anyway so pretty much the same charges.

Cheers irish

» Add a new message to this topic