FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Any body heard of prep?

Any body heard of prep?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *as8388 OP   Man  over a year ago

sallins

Well simple - has any body heard of prep?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes

It's what you do before you cook

I have to admit ! I had to Google it

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I would think a lot of people on here have heard of prep and why people use it and what it is for. How many use it? Who knows.

Would I trust anyone who says they are on it to be telling the truth,no.It also wouldn't change my mind about using protection as it only protects against getting HIV.

STIs are out there you can only minimise the risk so much. Condoms don't fully protect you either.

Regular testing is important if you have an active sex life it's surprising how many never do a test though.

sallins

"It's what you do before you cook"

??, no silly

sallins

"I would think a lot of people on here have heard of prep and why people use it and what it is for. How many use it? Who knows.

Would I trust anyone who says they are on it to be telling the truth,no.It also wouldn't change my mind about using protection as it only protects against getting HIV.

STIs are out there you can only minimise the risk so much. Condoms don't fully protect you either.

Regular testing is important if you have an active sex life it's surprising how many never do a test though. "

Good answer!!! Yes, condoms do minimize the risk…

By *osyRedLipsWoman  over a year ago

Kildare

"I would think a lot of people on here have heard of prep and why people use it and what it is for. How many use it? Who knows.

Regular testing is important if you have an active sex life it's surprising how many never do a test though. "

Since I joined Fab 5 years ago I attend my local clinic every 6 months for regular testing. So I've gotten to know the midwifes over the years. They were telling me recently that the average person won't test regularly and will wait until symptoms appear to present themselves. One occasion I was last person to be seen so waiting room was empty. The midwife was telling me I was only person there that day for regular check the rest were urgently presenting with symptoms.

"Well simple - has any body heard of prep?"

Threads about it here before just put prep in search function

sallins

Regular testing is important if you have an active sex life it's surprising how many never do a test though.

Since I joined Fab 5 years ago I attend my local clinic every 6 months for regular testing. So I've gotten to know the midwifes over the years. They were telling me recently that the average person won't test regularly and will wait until symptoms appear to present themselves. One occasion I was last person to be seen so waiting room was empty. The midwife was telling me I was only person there that day for regular check the rest were urgently presenting with symptoms. "

That’s a scary thing to be thinking… how many people don’t take it seriously

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

PRE exposure Prophylactic

A good idea if you're high risk and taking risks.

For me it's a red flag immediately, I know being on prep you cannot transmit HIV even if positive but that's not to say other stds are not present ,being on prep doesn't give you a carthe blanche immunity to fuck around unprotected, condoms and other barrier methods are still needed even with prep

By *itemeagainMan  over a year ago

Wexford

Yes

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

"For me it's a red flag immediately, I know being on prep you cannot transmit HIV even if positive but that's not to say other stds are not present ,being on prep doesn't give you a carthe blanche immunity to fuck around unprotected, condoms and other barrier methods are still needed even with prep"

Yes I agree but the assumption on here seems to be that anyone who's on Prep is going backback.

I think for many (including me) Prep is something to use along with Safe sex not instead of it.

An added later of protection.

People that do bareback are probably going to do it with or without Prep. So better for everyone if they do it with.

By *londebiguyMan  over a year ago

Southport

"Well simple - has any body heard of prep?"

PrEP - Pre Exposure Prophylaxis

By *londebiguyMan  over a year ago

Southport

"For me it's a red flag immediately, I know being on prep you cannot transmit HIV even if positive but that's not to say other stds are not present ,being on prep doesn't give you a carthe blanche immunity to fuck around unprotected, condoms and other barrier methods are still needed even with prep"

You have an extremely low chance of contracting HIV if you take PrEP.

If you have the virus present in the body ten you cannot take PrEP.

You would be put in other medication to manage it.

HIV is managed now in a way like Diabetes.

By *lirty_dirtyCouple 42 weeks ago

Lingfield

Yes I've heard of it because I take it daily and test every 12 weeks.

By *amanthaJonesWoman 42 weeks ago

Monaghan

"Yes I've heard of it because I take it daily and test every 12 weeks. "

Wait so am I right in thinking you are not HIV positive but take it as a precaution? Is that a thing? I didn’t know it was possible- if it is wow such an amazing advancement in science compared to the scary days of the 80’s.

By *ilthyNightsCouple 42 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Yes I've heard of it because I take it daily and test every 12 weeks.

Wait so am I right in thinking you are not HIV positive but take it as a precaution? Is that a thing? I didn’t know it was possible- if it is wow such an amazing advancement in science compared to the scary days of the 80’s. "

There are now medicines that stop you getting hiv from an infected partner, and drugs that reduces the virus in an infected person's system to the point where they can't transmit it.

The real danger is people who have it but don't know it and go untreated.

By *chochamberWoman 42 weeks ago

New York, Shannon

[Removed by poster at 26/11/23 13:56:13]

By *amanthaJonesWoman 42 weeks ago

Monaghan

Wait so am I right in thinking you are not HIV positive but take it as a precaution? Is that a thing? I didn’t know it was possible- if it is wow such an amazing advancement in science compared to the scary days of the 80’s.

There are now medicines that stop you getting hiv from an infected partner, and drugs that reduces the virus in an infected person's system to the point where they can't transmit it.

"

I knew about ones for those who are positive but never realised there was a preventative now. That’s absolutely amazing. I practice safe sex and would consider this a bonus. At the end of the day we all rattle on about no glove no love but how many of us practice safe oral? It’s very interesting!

By *lirty_dirtyCouple 42 weeks ago

Lingfield

Correct! I'm not hiv positive but take prep to prevent getting it. It is safer than using condoms according to the NHS research. Anyone at risk can be prescribed it and can take it on an 'event based' regime or daily.. I choose daily, and yes its an amazing advance. I hear what people say about it encourages unsafe sex but a requirement of prep is very regular testing so things are detected early should you catch any other sti

Wait so am I right in thinking you are not HIV positive but take it as a precaution? Is that a thing? I didn’t know it was possible- if it is wow such an amazing advancement in science compared to the scary days of the 80’s. "

By *as8388 OP   Man 42 weeks ago

sallins

"Correct! I'm not hiv positive but take prep to prevent getting it. It is safer than using condoms according to the NHS research. Anyone at risk can be prescribed it and can take it on an 'event based' regime or daily.. I choose daily, and yes its an amazing advance. I hear what people say about it encourages unsafe sex but a requirement of prep is very regular testing so things are detected early should you catch any other sti

Yes I've heard of it because I take it daily and test every 12 weeks.

Wow this post I did is so old! How did make its way back?

By *ot - CoupleCouple 27 weeks ago

Glasgow

We've only recently found out about PrEP. It's actually astonishing that the NHS don't advertise PrEP more it might save them more money in the long run if they did. It 99.9% protects you from contracting HIV. We called our local sexual health clinic to get more information. They only give out 1 appointment per week for people wanting to use it first time, you can get repeat prescriptions no problem. We then done an Internet search, you can order it in places like Asda, Superdrug, Boots and other online pharmacy's.

By *asual777Man 27 weeks ago

i travel all over

Unfortunately a lot of people on fab state on their status that they’re on prep and want bareback sex . This completely dismisses other STIs.

By *igdave.rgbyMan 27 weeks ago

monaghan

Am on prep injection

By *xplorer2023Man 27 weeks ago

Dublin

I knew about ones for those who are positive but never realised there was a preventative now. That’s absolutely amazing. I practice safe sex and would consider this a bonus. At the end of the day we all rattle on about no glove no love but how many of us practice safe oral? It’s very interesting!"

yeah, it was the concern about oral that pushed me to get prep.

Still use condoms for regular sex too. belt and braces

By *iSi74Man 27 weeks ago

Dublin, EastMeath, Drogheda

Surely any responsible and proactive adult is well aware of it .

By *nothershitusernameCouple 27 weeks ago

Belfast

I got prep on the nhs and take it around event based activities. Not sure if women can avail of it atm but I feel it should be open to all that want it.

Not everyone on prep has bareback sex with strangers, certainly it will protect those that do but it’s just an extra layer of protection.

By *londebiguyMan 26 weeks ago

Southport

"Unfortunately a lot of people on fab state on their status that they’re on prep and want bareback sex . This completely dismisses other STIs. "

Oral sex without a condom or a dental dams completely dismisses other STI's too.

Close body contact can transmit some.

The only totally safe thing to do is to have no contact intimately with anyone.

Is that what you do?

By *asual777Man 26 weeks ago

i travel all over

"Unfortunately a lot of people on fab state on their status that they’re on prep and want bareback sex . This completely dismisses other STIs.

Oral sex without a condom or a dental dams completely dismisses other STI's too.

Close body contact can transmit some.

The only totally safe thing to do is to have no contact intimately with anyone.

Is that what you do?"

Yes. I am a monk and just here for the craic

» Add a new message to this topic