FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Silent Quitting

Silent Quitting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *amesreally999 OP   Man  over a year ago

Badlands

I’ve seen this at 1st hand and it’s very frustrating.

Question is this.

How can one put a positive on this negative.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I googled it - quiet quitting, where you're not outright quitting your job, but you're quitting the idea of going above and beyond," Khan says. "You're still performing your duties, but you're no longer subscribing to the hustle culture mentality that work has to be your life

So is it you, your job your life etc

As for putting a positive spin on it if you were tomorrow you or someone very close to you had 6 months to live what would you do?

Material possessions are just that, we have spent so long trying to keep up with the Jones, the cae the house the job,the perfect life, the marriage etc but what of it matters

What matters are the people in our lives

By *an I Kiss youMan  over a year ago

Manchester, City Centre

[Removed by poster at 09/11/22 19:51:54]

By *an I Kiss youMan  over a year ago

Manchester, City Centre

"I googled it - quiet quitting, where you're not outright quitting your job, but you're quitting the idea of going above and beyond," Khan says. "You're still performing your duties, but you're no longer subscribing to the hustle culture mentality that work has to be your life

As for putting a positive spin on it if you were tomorrow you or someone very close to you had 6 months to live what would you do?

Material possessions are just that, we have spent so long trying to keep up with the Jones, the cae the house the job,the perfect life, the marriage etc but what of it matters

What matters are the people in our lives "

Couldn't have been put any better. Well said DD

By *huntMan  over a year ago

D2

"I googled it - quiet quitting, where you're not outright quitting your job, but you're quitting the idea of going above and beyond," Khan says. "You're still performing your duties, but you're no longer subscribing to the hustle culture mentality that work has to be your life

Sounds like my job, LOL

Bright side, only 16 years, 34 days 13 hours and 25 seconds to retirement....

Sounds like my job, LOL

Bright side, only 16 years, 34 days 13 hours and 25 seconds to retirement...."

Get a yearly pension statement and the retirement dates seems so far away but not really either

Have retired. Life is bliss. Cept would trade it all to be 30 again and have a fine reliable cock!

By *endi LiquorTV/TS  over a year ago

Newry

This.

I don't like my job I go in go through the motions.

I focus on the money it provides me.

After being off a month sick you think about things.

I'll leave my job for something better. But only if the hours and money suits, its affording me the luxuries.

Ie. My stuff for wendi, getting away to socials. Holidays etc.

It's a small part of life and it's making me realise just getting a decent wage isn't enough anymore its not challenging me, so I'm looking at courses to do and actually do a job that I enjoy.

Depends on the job

Some jobs require constantly striving to improve and do better to ensure the best for those using your services

To fail to do that .. is wrong

But that’s my view in my area of work

You are so right about that

This.

I'll leave my job for something better. But only if the hours and money suits, its affording me the luxuries.

It's a small part of life and it's making me realise just getting a decent wage isn't enough anymore its not challenging me, so I'm looking at courses to do and actually do a job that I enjoy.

"

Just go for it you got only one life, but be careful sometimes what you enjoy can hurt the one you love. Been a chef for 30 years know what it can do.

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

I have been in the caring profession 23yrs I love my job and wouldn't want to do anything else but since the pandemic I have changed my attitude a little I used to do lots of overtime go in on days off stay over my time etc but I have stopped all that at the end of the day a job is just that it's a means of getting money to do the things that matter to you as long as you have enough to cover your expenses as DD said it's people that matter not possessions what good is the big swanky house if you are dying of cancer or some other illness think we all need to remember look how quick everything was taken away from us what was the one thing awe all wanted to do more than anything hug our friends and family that's what matters most

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I work to live, I don't live to work. Could I expand my business if I worked more hours? Sure. At what cost? Meh. I'd rather spend more time with family than have a few extra quid on my pocket.

By *hhitherezMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Silent quiting is just working with in your contract and stopping the above and beyond, there is no negative.

I agree that there are times you should work the extra to get a project over the line but not every day/week.

If not an issue, it's not the person, it the company promising to much to their clients

Well utopia is always around the corner

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I went above and beyond for the last 2 companies including one I worked at for 34 years and the more I did the less I was respected and both treated me like a number.

There isn't that level of expectation in my current role and I work hours that suit me which is why it gave me great satisfaction saying no to both previous employers when they asked me to return.

Work to rule.

This is nothing new.

My manager used to be amazing and I was always happy to go above and beyond. She was bullied out and the team are now micromanaged to within an inch of our lives. I won't come in early or stay late, I do no favours. I leave on the dot of my finishing time, having walked out in the midst of a few crisis. Of course management have noticed the change in me and I am constantly asked to be more flexible, or ‘what’s wrong?’, nothing.. I’m doing my job. You want more? Hire more staff. Pay more.

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man  over a year ago

Ballsbridge

Yeah I think even the term “quiet quitting” is loaded

You’re not quitting, you’re doing the job as you are paid to do it

If you go above and beyond, you should be compensated for it, it shouldn’t be standard.

Belfast

"Yeah I think even the term “quiet quitting” is loaded

If you go above and beyond, you should be compensated for it, it shouldn’t be standard."

I was salaried in my last role so didn't get overtime. I had 10 people working for me including 4 that were hired by me during my 13 months there.

None of them were keyholders which meant I had to be on site until they finished which often meant 15-16 hr days. I was contracted for a 42 hr week.

They refused to take on one more member of staff which would have negated the need for any overtime at all.

After 6 months of furlough during the first lockdown I was the only person in the company let go.

I don't have to worry about things like that now and although I'm earning much less I know I'm appreciated.

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man  over a year ago

Ballsbridge

"Yeah I think even the term “quiet quitting” is loaded

If you go above and beyond, you should be compensated for it, it shouldn’t be standard.

I was salaried in my last role so didn't get overtime. I had 10 people working for me including 4 that were hired by me during my 13 months there.

None of them were keyholders which meant I had to be on site until they finished which often meant 15-16 hr days. I was contracted for a 42 hr week.

They refused to take on one more member of staff which would have negated the need for any overtime at all.

After 6 months of furlough during the first lockdown I was the only person in the company let go.

I don't have to worry about things like that now and although I'm earning much less I know I'm appreciated. "

If you were paid per hour, would you do an extra 8 hrs a day for free?

A salary is to compensate for a higher skill level and higher responsibility, it’s still based on a 40 hr week

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 10/11/22 10:52:18]

Belfast

For the first 28 years of my working life I was paid a standard weekly wage, not a salary or hourly rate and that was for a 45 hour week but most were 60 hours and I got nothing extra. I did have a company car which was a bonus.

For 6 years I was paid an hourly rate but didn't get paid overtime. I was given time in lieu.

The last role was the only salaried one with an annual productivity bonus which was added 6 months into the job and may have covered the additional hours but I never got to find out as I was furloughed and let go without receiving it as the company had been closed most of the year.

By *ohnsmithMan  over a year ago

South Tipperary

Keep safe and healthy folks...

For anyone that wants to put things into perspective listen to " Cats in the Cradle " ..that song is the greatest in my eyes for putting things into perspective ..when l say listen to it ..l mean listen.

Ive a few more years of this silent quitting to do. And im enjoying it

It's called "acting your wage".

I do what I'm paid for and no more. It's silly to break your back for an employer that sees you as just a number.

My definition of quiet quitting would be different. It is when you are present physically going through the motions of work but not really contributing and others have to do the heavy lifting for you. I'm experiencing this from a colleague now and this is causing a huge amount of stress and burnout among other colleagues

"I work to live, I don't live to work. Could I expand my business if I worked more hours? Sure. At what cost? Meh. I'd rather spend more time with family than have a few extra quid on my pocket."

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

My definition of quiet quitting would be different. It is when you are present physically going through the motions of work but not really contributing and others have to do the heavy lifting for you. I'm experiencing this from a colleague now and this is causing a huge amount of stress and burnout among other colleagues "

It's quite a misleading definition, in my opinion. I've never heard the term but if it had have come up in conversation I would have thought it to be as you define it...it wouldn't even have occurred to me that there might be a different definition, only DD highlighted it

By *itemeagainMan  over a year ago

Wexford

"I’ve seen this at 1st hand and it’s very frustrating.

Question is this.

How can one put a positive on this negative."

Terrible idea because if you have gotten to the point you don't have drive or passion or even team spirit in your work ,,? Just leave . To lower your standards just lessons yourself

By *amesreally999 OP   Man  over a year ago

Badlands

That’s exactly what I’m talking about..thank you

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Quiet quitting is a new the phrase to me, but;

I think it used to be known, as the opposite of absenteeism:

presenteeism.

I have had some fantastic jobs, and some awful ones

Several I just walked out out of, and never went back, and crucially never looked back, too.

Every second day I pass the site of a place where I was present; I have never once revisited the location.

The final straw there was when a manager tried to abuse me in his car!

By *cl2010Couple  over a year ago

cork

Quiet quitting = doing the job you're paid to do and not making your own life harder than it needs to be

Wexford

"Quiet quitting = doing the job you're paid to do and not making your own life harder than it needs to be"

How is that quitting in any form ?

By *cl2010Couple  over a year ago

cork

"Quiet quitting = doing the job you're paid to do and not making your own life harder than it needs to be

How is that quitting in any form ?"

It's exactly not. That's the point quiet quitting is the term that pr firms popularized to make people feel bad for not 100% breaking their balls 24/7 at work until they fall apart mentally or physically

By *errardNo8Man  over a year ago

Galway/Mayo

This is so true. I literally signed my house, and all possessions to my ex and my son. I don't drive(yet) so no flashy motor. And if someone can get access to my bank account if you wanna put a fiver in it for a pint I'd appreciate it.

But I a bet I'm happier than the Jones'.

Fact.

Galway/Mayo

I was depressed most of last year. Never had been before, and actually never thought it could happen to me.

I was down a dark hole, so I went the doctor had a chat, she put me on pills(that don't start working for 3months,wtf), I knew I didn't need them so i slapped myself in the face, pulled myself out the hole,and had a chat with myself whilst I was dusting myself off, and said life is too short for this shit.

I left my job where I was on 15euro an hour, to work back in the outdoor industry for 10.90 an hour. I told my boss recently I'd do it for 5 euro an hour, because since I went back, I genuinely feel like the happiest man alive. And I have absolutely nothing. Just a few Penny's to put food on the table.

Money certainly cannot buy you happiness.

You can be rich in money or rich in happiness.

Galway/Mayo

"I was depressed most of last year. Never had been before, and actually never thought it could happen to me.

I was down a dark hole, so I went the doctor had a chat, she put me on pills(that don't start working for 3months,wtf), I knew I didn't need them so i slapped myself in the face, pulled myself out the hole,and had a chat with myself whilst I was dusting myself off, and said life is too short for this shit.

I left my job where I was on 15euro an hour, to work back in the outdoor industry for 10.90 an hour. I told my boss recently I'd do it for 5 euro an hour, because since I went back, I genuinely feel like the happiest man alive. And I have absolutely nothing. Just a few Penny's to put food on the table.

You can be rich in money or rich in happiness. "

Oh and if anyone else ever finds that hole I was in. You can get out too. As soon as I spoke about it. The weight lifted. Talking about it seriously helps. And if anyone does wanna talk about it. Don't be afraid to message me.

Galway/Mayo

This.

Just go for it you got only one life, but be careful sometimes what you enjoy can hurt the one you love. Been a chef for 30 years know what it can do. "

But if the one you love, loved you back they should be happy that you're happy right?

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

"I was depressed most of last year. Never had been before, and actually never thought it could happen to me.

Your one of the most incredible people ive the pleasure of knowing and if this helps just one person i know you will be happy welcome back xx

Galway/Mayo

You can be rich in money or rich in happiness.

Your one of the most incredible people ive the pleasure of knowing and if this helps just one person i know you will be happy welcome back xx "

What an absolute diamond you are lolly x

Wexford

Tbf some can have both ... it isn't the money ,, its that people get greedy and bitter because they have it imo

Wexford

This.

Just go for it you got only one life, but be careful sometimes what you enjoy can hurt the one you love. Been a chef for 30 years know what it can do.

But if the one you love, loved you back they should be happy that you're happy right?"

They can be happy for you , yet miserable because of it .

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

Phone it in

Even better: phone in sick

By *appyPandaMan  over a year ago

Kilkenny, but Dublin is more fun

Think we really just need to come to terms with the fact that this new civilisation and fantasy world we built up around ourselves as a species is so far removed from the world we adapted and evolved for. We tend to think we can grow constantly, but the changes we've seen happened so much faster than any change before. Sure look at the tribalistic mess politics in many countries has become because we need to cling to our little groups and have other groups to fight against.

Also while we're told things are much better, growth has mainly benefitted those who already have huge unspendable amounts of unfathomable and arguably imaginary wealth based on speculation, while more and more normal people find themselves trapped by financial insecurity and just trying to cling on.

By *uttingstagsMan  over a year ago

Navan

Where do some management types get the notion from that the company they represent is somehow entitled to receive more than what they pay for from employees lower in the pecking order ?

Do they expect 20% free groceries or fuel in Tesco or Circle K as well on top of what they paid for ? I wouldn’t think so.

» Add a new message to this topic