FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Westlife

Westlife

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ofusplus OP   Couple  over a year ago

Limerick

Just endured them on The Late Late (too lazy to switch over before you ask). Really don't understand the hype. They're grand singers, but then so am I, but I wouldn't fill my local snug, never mind Wembley twice over!

Asking fans what's the attraction to Westlife?

Mrs.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Have to say their gigs are really good if you're a fan

They just click with the fans

No hassle either

By *hilaboutMan  over a year ago

kilkenny

Have to say they were brill on late late

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I hate them. Manufactured formulised rubbish.

I knew they were on the Late Late last night so I avoided.

Never liked them but I won't begrudge them the success they've had.

Absolutely not my kinda music.

But they seem to have a great connection with their fans, I've never heard of any of them acting the dick and they make music that appeals to at least some people.

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

"Just endured them on The Late Late (too lazy to switch over before you ask). Really don't understand the hype. They're grand singers, but then so am I, but I wouldn't fill my local snug, never mind Wembley twice over!

Mrs."

Why stop with westlife?

I once heard somebody comparing them to The Beetles. I nearly had to take calmers!!

By *ucy PhurWoman  over a year ago

Sth Dublin

Should have been called “Wastelife”

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Ok there's another thread about a guilty pleasure song

Love flying without wings

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

The boy bands and girl bands have a formula which works I suppose

Good looks

Wholesome

Like mates you wish you had

They pretend at interviews to be as wholesome as they appear

They usually have an army of songwriters who wrote catchy at times decent lyrics

Once the initial hype is done there needs to be enough something to keep them going

Tireless work

Decent songs

An ability to connect with fans and stand out

You can keep a career going with so little talent really if you have enough of the other stuff . A football equivalent would be Gary Neville

They apply to a certain demographic. There will always be be a place for bands like that unfortunately. They can't read or write music, dont write their own songs etc. Gary Barlow being one of the few from a boyband that does.

Limerick

"Just endured them on The Late Late (too lazy to switch over before you ask). Really don't understand the hype. They're grand singers, but then so am I, but I wouldn't fill my local snug, never mind Wembley twice over!

Mrs.

Why stop with westlife? "

Because they're one of the few boybands who can fill Wembley Stadium twice, The Aviva four times and get this .... Páirc uí Chaoimh also FOUR TIMES

... and several other locations in the space of a month

Limerick

"Ok there's another thread about a guilty pleasure song

Love flying without wings "

No, no, no

By *mmmm300Woman  over a year ago

cork

They had alot of fun last night on the late late and wherever there music comes from, people love them. Music aids a multitude, and they made some people very happy last night. Let them to it I say. Doing no harm at all.

"I once heard somebody comparing them to The Beetles. I nearly had to take calmers!!"

That was Louis Walsh wouldn't you know. There's a prick!

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

Mrs."

I'd really like to boil them then cover them in sugar

Mrs.

Why stop with westlife?

Because they're one of the few boybands who can fill Wembley Stadium twice, The Aviva four times and get this .... Páirc uí Chaoimh also FOUR TIMES

... and several other locations in the space of a month "

Good attendance at concert's dosnt equate to good music. It just proves alot of people like poor music in my opinion.

"I once heard somebody comparing them to The Beetles. I nearly had to take calmers!!

That was Louis Walsh wouldn't you know. There's a prick!"

You could be right. Think it was because of their top 10 hits. Chalk and cheese comes to mind!

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

Mrs.

Why stop with westlife?

... and several other locations in the space of a month "

A poor man's Take That as it were

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

They are for people who like to sing along with songs. You don't go to a Christy Moore concert to sing along and if you make noise he might stop to ask you to leave.

Westlife are for people who want to wave their hands around, laugh, smile, sing along, hug their friends. deep down they know it's just pop stuff.

If you don't listen to pop then all of it sounds the same and generic, even pop music in other genres sounds the same, like pop rap, pop country. You might be a person who sings along with the music in your head and like to follow a nice guitar riff, or a baseline or maybe you smash drums in your head. Maybe you like to sit and just listen to lyrics and how meaningful they are. Maybe lyrics dont matter at all to you and you can listen to a rave song with no lyrics at all, or a 9in long prog rock song.

Basically the people who have fun listening to westlife might get bored listening to jazz and vice versa.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

It's all personal choice. I'm not a massive music fan and can't relate to anyone saying a particular song takes them back to a specific moment in their lives.

To me all music has to be uplifting and I rarely listen to lyrics. I hear 30 year old songs now and only just realise what they are actually about.

Boyband stuff may well appeal to the masses but so does the likes of Adele and I would rather poke something in my eye than listen to her dirges.

All the fuss over Oasis v Blur went over my head because I didn't like either. With the benefit of hindsight and all these years later however I know for sure they were both shite.

I listened to an entire Police anthology recently and thought the majority of their work was brilliant but yet I've never been able to endure anything Sting has done since.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's actually any good. It just means they have a good marketing company.

» Add a new message to this topic