FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Christmas Decorations

Christmas Decorations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *Sparkie. OP   Man  over a year ago

Ratoath

I travel a good bit and have seen a fair share of Xmas Trees, lights and decorations up already.....is it too early?

When you put up yours??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

1st Dec

By *issme39Woman  over a year ago

kildare

would love to not do it..

but apparently its frowned upon

By *ocktailsdreamsMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"would love to not do it..

but apparently its frowned upon "

I'm not doing it this year, I did last year and it was sublime!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

8th December plenty of time or am I a grinch

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Mine are up

In the fucking attic where they belong until mid December.

By *issme39Woman  over a year ago

kildare

"Mine are up

In the fucking attic where they belong until mid December. "

brilliant

By *ysticalWoman  over a year ago

wexford

Week before Christmas mine go up

By *ameofmeMan  over a year ago

somewhere in

"8th December plenty of time or am I a grinch "

Same as….time enough having shite everywhere for a month. Nothing like the cleanup afterwards…it’s like you gain an extra room with all the space cleared…..plus I’d say between the cat and the dog, the tree will be knocked after a week

I won't put them up for as long as I can get as I can get away with it.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I might put some up mid December definitely not before.

Mine are in the attic for at least 4 years now, maybe I'll break them out this year, the weekend before Christmas

When I was married they went up the night of the toy show

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

"Mine are up

Grinch

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

A week before Christmas is sufficient; November is much too early.

This weekend probably they have to be up before the toy show.. thats the law

By *ol_ieMan  over a year ago

Dublin west

I don't bother anymore. Saves having to take the thing down again after Christmas

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Cant wait for yule. Havent decided when im putting mine up yet. Dont watch the toy show and i have to minimise decorations this year so i suppose ill get them all down at the weekend and go through them. Which reminds me i need more outdoor stuff

Not doing it this year.

Spain for Christmas..

I'm in the middle of making Xmas wreaths, there's glitter everywhere lol

An army of Gonks have appeared in the last few weeks ( seem to fall into my shopping every time 8 go out)

And my Xmas tree in my bedroom is twinkling away right now

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

[Removed by poster at 15/11/21 22:54:18]

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple  over a year ago

ireland

"Mine are up

Heyyy thats my line RB

"I'm in the middle of making Xmas wreaths, there's glitter everywhere lol

An army of Gonks have appeared in the last few weeks ( seem to fall into my shopping every time 8 go out)

And my Xmas tree in my bedroom is twinkling away right now "

Gonks?

Gonks?

"

Google them

Gonks?

Google them "

Back in the day it was a slang word for idiot

Also,

Is it really an xmas tree or was that an innuendo?

Gonks?

"

Check out my new profile pic well.give me 5

Gonks::

What Is A Gonk?

Some people think gonks look like a funny little Santa. Others think they look like particularly festive gnomes. At first glance, you can see why; gonks are stout little fellows with such long, bushy beards that it covers most of their face. Paired with their favourite fashionable accessory, a pointed hat pulled over their eyes, all that’s left to see of a gonk’s face is a sweet button nose. Gonks are often dressed in warming and festive coats, and sometimes like to show off their funny striped socks. While many of them are partial to traditionally festive red or white, you can find them wearing all sorts of colours.

Where Do Gonks Come From?

Believe it or not, this creature that looks so much like Santa was not originally a Christmas icon. Gonks are inspired by gnomes and hobgoblins found in Scandinavian and Nordic mythology. In the old lore, these short, bearded folks would make their home in the houses and barns of farms. If they liked the family they chose to live with, they would protect that family and their land with fairy-like magic, bringing good fortune. If the family disrespected their land or the gonk’s home, however, they would become angry and mischievous, playing tricks and creating misery for the humans.

An old Nordic tradition involves leaving out a bowl of porridge during the winter solstice, so that the gonk may feast and join in the festivities. As Christmas became more prominent across Scandinavia, these stories and traditions stayed with the people, and gonks eventually came to be paired with Christmas.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

And my Xmas tree in my bedroom is twinkling away right now "

That Christmas tree never came down from last year

That Christmas tree never came down from last year "

Ssh you

That Christmas tree never came down from last year

Ssh you "

The truth is out

"Mine are up

Im a total grinch.

Im gonna email all the shops and complain about Christmas music being played in November... gimme a break.

"Gonks::

What Is A Gonk?

Some people think gonks look like a funny little Santa. Others think they look like particularly festive gnomes. At first glance, you can see why; gonks are stout little fellows with such long, bushy beards that it covers most of their face. Paired with their favourite fashionable accessory, a pointed hat pulled over their eyes, all that’s left to see of a gonk’s face is a sweet button nose. Gonks are often dressed in warming and festive coats, and sometimes like to show off their funny striped socks. While many of them are partial to traditionally festive red or white, you can find them wearing all sorts of colours.

Believe it or not, this creature that looks so much like Santa was not originally a Christmas icon. Gonks are inspired by gnomes and hobgoblins found in Scandinavian and Nordic mythology. In the old lore, these short, bearded folks would make their home in the houses and barns of farms. If they liked the family they chose to live with, they would protect that family and their land with fairy-like magic, bringing good fortune. If the family disrespected their land or the gonk’s home, however, they would become angry and mischievous, playing tricks and creating misery for the humans.

An old Nordic tradition involves leaving out a bowl of porridge during the winter solstice, so that the gonk may feast and join in the festivities. As Christmas became more prominent across Scandinavia, these stories and traditions stayed with the people, and gonks eventually came to be paired with Christmas. "

This made me happy Im partial to gonks and hobgoblins.

We'll put ours up for the night of the Toy Show bearing in mind our 'kids' are in their twenties

By *ewitching1Woman  over a year ago

belfast

"Gonks::

What Is A Gonk?

An old Nordic tradition involves leaving out a bowl of porridge during the winter solstice, so that the gonk may feast and join in the festivities. As Christmas became more prominent across Scandinavia, these stories and traditions stayed with the people, and gonks eventually came to be paired with Christmas. "

I love a good Gonk

By *ollypop9Woman  over a year ago

wouldn't you like to know

I love Christmas but won't entertain anything to do with it until the 1st of December.

Tree in our house goes up for the 6th, which is St.Nikolaus day in Germany.

Tradition in our house.

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

At some point after December 15th....

By *oxtrotTangoLoveMan  over a year ago

Dublin / Meath

I went into work last night and they had put trees a d decoration up! Well Mine are in the attic and staying there till the first week in December.

By *aint_or_SinnerWoman  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"I love Christmas but won't entertain anything to do with it until the 1st of December.

Tradition in our house."

I still love doing St.Nikolaus Day with my children. I'd have loved to see their friends' parents' faces when my kids told others that we have St.Nikolaus, the Christ child and Santy coming to our house - and I don't mean that in a bragging sense at all but more in how are Irish parents going to explain that away when their kids come home and say but such and such gets 3 different visits for gifts in December

My parents never put the tree up until the day before Christmas Eve...and it was decorated with real candles. There was always a bucket of sand and a bucket of water beside the tree because, yes, they did have an incident or two over the years

I'll be putting mine up next week (a lot early for my liking) because with separation and how the children are "distributed" in care has just changed tradition somewhat. We evolve and adapt

By *ollypop9Woman  over a year ago

wouldn't you like to know

"I love Christmas but won't entertain anything to do with it until the 1st of December.

Tradition in our house.

I still love doing St.Nikolaus Day with my children. I'd have loved to see their friends' parents' faces when my kids told others that we have St.Nikolaus, the Christ child and Santy coming to our house - and I don't mean that in a bragging sense at all but more in how are Irish parents going to explain that away when their kids come home and say but such and such gets 3 different visits for gifts in December

My parents never put the tree up until the day before Christmas Eve...and it was decorated with real candles. There was always a bucket of sand and a bucket of water beside the tree because, yes, they did have an incident or two over the years

I'll be putting mine up next week (a lot early for my liking) because with separation and how the children are "distributed" in care has just changed tradition somewhat. We evolve and adapt "

Mine used to tell their friends that he only came to German kids, as to not upset them. They used to bring sweets in with them to share.

I added the Santa letter into it. They put it in the shoe that eve and it was hone and replaced by the goodies the next morning...

South County Dublin

Tradition in our house.

I'll be putting mine up next week (a lot early for my liking) because with separation and how the children are "distributed" in care has just changed tradition somewhat. We evolve and adapt

Mine used to tell their friends that he only came to German kids, as to not upset them. They used to bring sweets in with them to share.

I added the Santa letter into it. They put it in the shoe that eve and it was hone and replaced by the goodies the next morning..."

I'm not a very good Christmas mom so . But I knew that...the whole Santa thing always irked me to be honest...the lies and deceit around it. At least, with religious studies, the story of the Christ child is more "believable" for want of a better word! And symbolises the celebration of family, for me anyway...And can be explained without traumatizing the children like I hear some children are here in Ireland when they are told Santa is a figment of their parents imagination and an absolute media hype!

Christmas, in combination with the consumerism the children are subjected to in this day and age, whether you want it or not, is not what it was in my day!

Cynical, I know...

Tradition in our house.

I added the Santa letter into it. They put it in the shoe that eve and it was hone and replaced by the goodies the next morning...

I'm not a very good Christmas mom so . But I knew that...the whole Santa thing always irked me to be honest...the lies and deceit around it. At least, with religious studies, the story of the Christ child is more "believable" for want of a better word! And symbolises the celebration of family, for me anyway...And can be explained without traumatizing the children like I hear some children are here in Ireland when they are told Santa is a figment of their parents imagination and an absolute media hype!

Christmas, in combination with the consumerism the children are subjected to in this day and age, whether you want it or not, is not what it was in my day!

Cynical, I know...

"

The hurt of finding out there was no santa was miniscule in comparison to the years and years of absolute magic it created.

Its something I'd pass on with zero concerns about traumatising any further kids I may have.

There are so many small memories from Christmas that have nothing to do with consumerism that would be lost without a "santa".

The other 364 days can be filled with the grim realities of life

But that's just me

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Tradition in our house.

Cynical, I know...

The hurt of finding out there was no santa was miniscule in comparison to the years and years of absolute magic it created.

Its something I'd pass on with zero concerns about traumatising any further kids I may have.

There are so many small memories from Christmas that have nothing to do with consumerism that would be lost without a "santa".

But that's just me "

The majority of grim realities for me have occurred during December and January involving personal loss including one on Christmas Eve. I therefore avoid everything Christmas related for as long as possible.

If it was cancelled completely I wouldn't miss it at all.

The last time I tried watching the toy show, Gay Byrne was presenting it and I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of it.

South County Dublin

"I'm not a very good Christmas mom so . But I knew that...the whole Santa thing always irked me to be honest...the lies and deceit around it. At least, with religious studies, the story of the Christ child is more "believable" for want of a better word! And symbolises the celebration of family, for me anyway...And can be explained without traumatizing the children like I hear some children are here in Ireland when they are told Santa is a figment of their parents imagination and an absolute media hype!

Cynical, I know...

But that's just me "

I do take your point on the magic that Santa creates, absolutely! I know my children will have many beautiful memories too. Just like I have many beautiful memories of celebrating Christmas the Irish way.

But the Christmas story in itself has been changed in its ideology with the arrival of Santa.

Tradition in our house.

Cynical, I know...

But that's just me

The majority of grim realities for me have occurred during December and January involving personal loss including one on Christmas Eve. I therefore avoid everything Christmas related for as long as possible.

If it was cancelled completely I wouldn't miss it at all.

The last time I tried watching the toy show, Gay Byrne was presenting it and I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of it.

"

Well fair enough if you have personal losses around the time which I understand alot of people do and can amplify the hurt in comparison.

My point was I dont think kids suffer long term trauma from finding out about santa.

"I'm not a very good Christmas mom so . But I knew that...the whole Santa thing always irked me to be honest...the lies and deceit around it. At least, with religious studies, the story of the Christ child is more "believable" for want of a better word! And symbolises the celebration of family, for me anyway...And can be explained without traumatizing the children like I hear some children are here in Ireland when they are told Santa is a figment of their parents imagination and an absolute media hype!

Cynical, I know...

But that's just me

I do take your point on the magic that Santa creates, absolutely! I know my children will have many beautiful memories too. Just like I have many beautiful memories of celebrating Christmas the Irish way.

But the Christmas story in itself has been changed in its ideology with the arrival of Santa."

Of course it has.

And the versions of it before santa took a slightly different idea and distorted it.

There obviously is no right or wrong way to do Christmas.

I'm just not sure a virgin birth is any more authentic than a magic present man

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Cynical, I know...

But that's just me

But the Christmas story in itself has been changed in its ideology with the arrival of Santa."

It reflects the transition from church dogmatism to capitalistic neoliberalism.

South County Dublin

Cynical, I know...

But that's just me

But the Christmas story in itself has been changed in its ideology with the arrival of Santa.

Of course it has.

And the versions of it before santa took a slightly different idea and distorted it.

There obviously is no right or wrong way to do Christmas.

I'm just not sure a virgin birth is any more authentic than a magic present man"

I would hope that people are able to celebrate Christmas in a way that makes them and their loved ones happy, to try and spread love and cheer, regardless...

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

If put mine up tomorrow if I could and my middle daughter would be delighted

Usually the day of the toy show but thinks its a bit early this year.

By *ubyShuWoman  over a year ago

Nearby

Ive mine up since the 4th lol

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

Yes far too early

December the 14th here or the nearest weekend to it

By *ensualnFunCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

We’ve put up all the indoor and outdoor lights this weekend but we are celebrating my daughter’s 18s so I thought it would add a nice festive touch…

The Christmas decorations and tree will go up beginning of December because it takes time and we like to enjoy the Christmas feel

"I travel a good bit and have seen a fair share of Xmas Trees, lights and decorations up already.....is it too early?

When you put up yours??"

Yes it's too early. End of lol

By *ildAtlanticSecretCouple  over a year ago

around Clare, Galway, Limerick

1st of Dec lights on,I am pretty sure it's against the law before then

"1st of Dec lights on,I am pretty sure it's against the law before then "

Yes!!!!

» Add a new message to this topic